The Student Room Group

Special Consideration - Bereavement

Hi, I've been very unsure of what to do about my current situation. I'm doing my A-levels and I've already done 3 of my exams last week and have a few more coming up in the next couple of weeks. Almost a month ago my grandad had to urgently go to hospital but was discharged in a very bad condition about a week and a half ago. Ever since then I've been helping care for him and helping to communicate with carers/nurses, I was happy to do this bc I was very close to him and wanted to help a much as possible, but I felt drained and pretty much didn't prepare for the exams I had that week. Unfortunately he passed away a few days ago and I've been distraught since, I feel guilty even thinking of applying for special consideration but I've not had a chance to revise at all for the past few weeks on top of all the emotions I've gone through and I'm scared that I won't do as well as I need to. I'm unsure whether to try special consideration or just notifying my University directly or who to even speak to. Any guidance would be appreciated.
Original post by Melbel3
Hi, I've been very unsure of what to do about my current situation. I'm doing my A-levels and I've already done 3 of my exams last week and have a few more coming up in the next couple of weeks. Almost a month ago my grandad had to urgently go to hospital but was discharged in a very bad condition about a week and a half ago. Ever since then I've been helping care for him and helping to communicate with carers/nurses, I was happy to do this bc I was very close to him and wanted to help a much as possible, but I felt drained and pretty much didn't prepare for the exams I had that week. Unfortunately he passed away a few days ago and I've been distraught since, I feel guilty even thinking of applying for special consideration but I've not had a chance to revise at all for the past few weeks on top of all the emotions I've gone through and I'm scared that I won't do as well as I need to. I'm unsure whether to try special consideration or just notifying my University directly or who to even speak to. Any guidance would be appreciated.

Why would you feel guilty about informing your school / college and asking them to request special consideration from the exam board(s) on your behalf. This is exactly the sort of scenario the process is for.

What would your grandad want you to do? Would he want your exams to suffer because of what's just happened? No. So tell your school / college, and get special consideration sorted.
Reply 2
hi, just inform your Uni so that they can consider you. Do not get scared. Message me if you ever want to talk

Quick Reply

Latest