The Student Room Group
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website

I accidentally submitted the wrong coursework and am feeling very depressed about it.

I'm in my 4th year of my Integrated Master's and had been maintaining a first division for the last 3 years by working my absolute best. Well, in my final semester, I just received marks for a coursework worth 40% of a module and it turned out I got a 0 because I had submitted the wrong coursework (it was for another module). I am absolutely gutted about it because this will most definitely lead me to lose my first division and I feel like everything | worked for is now worthless. I had emailed my lecturer about it and showed some proof by showing screenshots of the timestamps of the files related to the coursework and none of them had been edited once after the deadline. The lecturer was very understanding and they told me that they will give me a potential mark by next week but it's on the board of examiners to decide if I'm granted that mark or not. I don't know what else to do and whom to ask for more help. In case the board decides that I should not be granted a mark, is there anything else I can try to salvage something out of this coursework? I had worked very hard on it and I understand that this is fully my fault but I really can't imagine losing my first division over a mistake like this. I feel my degree certificate will be a constant reminder of my mistake and it's making me very depressed.
Original post by ManbirS
I'm in my 4th year of my Integrated Master's and had been maintaining a first division for the last 3 years by working my absolute best. Well, in my final semester, I just received marks for a coursework worth 40% of a module and it turned out I got a 0 because I had submitted the wrong coursework (it was for another module). I am absolutely gutted about it because this will most definitely lead me to lose my first division and I feel like everything | worked for is now worthless. I had emailed my lecturer about it and showed some proof by showing screenshots of the timestamps of the files related to the coursework and none of them had been edited once after the deadline. The lecturer was very understanding and they told me that they will give me a potential mark by next week but it's on the board of examiners to decide if I'm granted that mark or not. I don't know what else to do and whom to ask for more help. In case the board decides that I should not be granted a mark, is there anything else I can try to salvage something out of this coursework? I had worked very hard on it and I understand that this is fully my fault but I really can't imagine losing my first division over a mistake like this. I feel my degree certificate will be a constant reminder of my mistake and it's making me very depressed.

do you have a director of studies or academic adviser you could talk to? I'm sure your reputation as a good student will help you here, and hopefully the board of examiners will understand... maybe ask the lecturer to explain your record as a good student.
good luck
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by neckbite
do you have a director of studies or academic adviser you could talk to? I'm sure your reputation as a good student will help you here, and hopefully the board of examiners will understand... maybe ask the lecturer to explain your record as a good student.
good luck

I have a personal academic tutor to whom I explained the full situation but he said that there is nothing he can do at the moment for me and told me that I can appeal the outcome of the board. That will probably be my next step.
Original post by ManbirS

Have you done the maths? If you've been "first division for the last 3 years" and you've received a zero for 40% of a single module, it may well be that you're still in line for a first.

What do the academic regulations say? Some take the average of "the best 90 credits", or similar, which may be that this one "tainted" module had zero impact.

Read the regulations now. They'll be online. Do the maths. Hopefully you'll get a pleasant surprise.
Reply 4
I checked the academic regulations and unfortunately, I believe all the modules are counted towards the grade. I did the maths and it turns out that I need a 65% overall in this semester to still qualify for a first which might be doable even with a 0 in this submission. I talked to some of my coursemates and it turns out one of them had the same issue and in the end, the grade for that coursework was not counted and the rest of the assignments/exam got more weightage. I have been suggested to talk to my student union and apply for some special considerations. I will do that immediately on Tuesday,
Original post by ManbirS
I checked the academic regulations and unfortunately, I believe all the modules are counted towards the grade. I did the maths and it turns out that I need a 65% overall in this semester to still qualify for a first which might be doable even with a 0 in this submission. I talked to some of my coursemates and it turns out one of them had the same issue and in the end, the grade for that coursework was not counted and the rest of the assignments/exam got more weightage. I have been suggested to talk to my student union and apply for some special considerations. I will do that immediately on Tuesday,

That sounds like a great plan. The "grade for that coursework was not counted and the rest of the assignments/exam got more weightage" also sounds like a good solution. I hope it works out for you. :crossedf:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending