The Student Room Group

Psychology or business studies at A-level?

I aim to study medicine or dentistry or do a degree in economics at university, I start year 12 soon and I've picked biology, chemistry and maths. I need to pick another subject which I will drop when I start year 13 and I'm stuck between psychology or business studies, I already have an AS level in economics and would love to carry it to A2 but my college doesn't offer it. What do I do?! My gcse grades are pretty average, 1 A*, 1 A and the other 8 are B's is it even worth thinking of doing medicine or dentistry with these grades? I don't mind getting the experience as my mums a doctor but what do I do?
Reply 1
What were the A* and A in?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
A* in ict and an A in biology, I was predicted A*s for my other sciences and maths but I screwed up the final exams :frown:
I think you should do business as economics and business overlap in many ways. I did it at AS and im not going to lie, i hated it but that was purely because we didnt have a decent teacher. I did psychology and got an A. Psychology invlives remembering quite alot of case studies so if you've got a good memory do it but i think you'll grasp business studies quicker than psychology due to economics
Reply 4
psychology is much more respected than business studies, cambridge university only considers business studies as suitable for 4th subject .
Reply 5
I already have an AS in economics so I thought it wouldn't be worth as much if I did business studies and I heard that some unis don't like it as well, I find psychology quite interesting and wouldn't mind memorising but I also heard that is is quite difficult to achieve an A grade in
Reply 6
Psychology is more respected than business studies so I'd say go with that.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
I did business studies at A2 and some universities don't accept it as one of the subjects they want. E.g. I applied to LSE and they don't accept it. So I suggest you do psychology as it is more respected
Reply 8
I am going more towards doing psychology too or should I do something like sociology or law? Are they even worth it?
(edited 10 years ago)
Psychology or business? Economics.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Original post by EHZ17
Psychology or business? Economics.

Posted from TSR Mobile

My college doesn't do economics so I can't carry it on even though I found it quite easy as it was common sense but I'll have to stick with an AS
Reply 11
Honestly I think psychology is more respected than both sociology and law.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I would go for psychology if I was you. Your other subjects should tie into it though , so hopefully although its time consuming you should know some of it from other subjects you're studying.

Good luck in your a levels !

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
Thanks everyone! I was wondering if I actually have a shot at studying dentistry or medicine with my current gcse grades even if i do well in my a-levels? Even if I have experience?
Reply 14
Original post by arminb
psychology is much more respected than business studies, cambridge university only considers business studies as suitable for 4th subject .

hi can you please tell me moreabout this. i want to change from business to psychology now. can you please give me any resources that prove your statement or where you got this information from. please. i really need this info because i cant change subjects after 10 days

Quick Reply

Latest