The Student Room Group

A level subject choices between Business, Biology and Law

I am currently studying GCSEs at a technical college and therefore didn't study a humanity at GCSE .

I have decided to switch from a mix of BTECs to A levels and applied to an academic college and have been accepted conditionally to study maths, psychology and business studies A levels.

However, I'm considering switching from business to either biology or law.

I am doing double science GCSE. My predictions for maths and science are strong. English fairly strong.

Any advice on whether to stick to business studies or switch. I'm not sure on degree subjects, or career path, and would like to keep it open.

My thoughts on biology, too big a jump from doing double science?
I really like biology at GCSE but maybe too much.

Does not having a humanity at GCSE mean my essay writing is not strong enough for law together with psychology?

It's difficult to switch once I've made my mind up.

Planning on waiting for my results before asking to switch but would like to hear from anyone currently studying these A level subjects.

Thanks
i wouldnt say its too much of a jump to do biology - my friend got a 5 or a 6 and and then got a b in biology so if you're on a 6, 7 or 8 you can get an a

i would advise against law since its not a preferred subject by many unis

maths psychology and biology or business looks good

if you're thinking of a medical / science career go for maths psychology and biology
or
if you're thinking corporate career or not sure maths psychology and business
Reply 2
Original post by User_022023
i wouldnt say its too much of a jump to do biology - my friend got a 5 or a 6 and and then got a b in biology so if you're on a 6, 7 or 8 you can get an a

if you're thinking of a medical / science career go for maths psychology and biology
or

Thanks, for the reply
Original post by User_022023

or

Please ignore the comment about Law it isnt true. Some universities of which UCL is an example list their preferred subjects and Law is on them.

The probability is that taking Biology would give you your widest option as it would include sciences. Neither Law nor Business are required subjects and degrees in business, economics and the like look for Maths rather than business.
Here is a list of LSEs preferred subjects. 2 need to be taken from them

Common traditional academic/'generally preferred' subjects:

Ancient History
Biology
Classical Civilisation
Chemistry
Computing
Economics
Electronics
English (English Language, English Literature and English Language and Literature)
Further Mathematics*
Geography
Government and Politics
History
Languages: Modern Foreign, Classic and Community**
Law
Mathematics
Music
Philosophy
Physics
Psychology
Religious Studies