The Student Room Group

Should I do geography, biology and psychology a level

I’m nearly 100% sure about geography and biology but I was wondering if adding psychology was a good combination. I originally wanted to be an architect but now i’m not sure what I want to do.
Original post by !mars
I’m nearly 100% sure about geography and biology but I was wondering if adding psychology was a good combination. I originally wanted to be an architect but now i’m not sure what I want to do.

It's a good combination. You could consider degrees such as environmental science, natural sciences, urban planning, geography and planning, etc. or the allied health professions which usually require a science:

https://www.england.nhs.uk/ahp/role/

https://www.sheffield.ac.uk/undergraduate/courses/2024/geography-and-planning-ba
https://www.lancaster.ac.uk/natural-sciences/
https://www.ncl.ac.uk/undergraduate/degrees/k421/
https://www.lancaster.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses/environmental-science-bsc-hons-f750/2024/

A useful careers website:

https://www.prospects.ac.uk/
(edited 3 months ago)
Original post by !mars

A level biology is a good choice - it opens you up to most allied health professional degrees such as Radiography, Physiotherapy, Audiology, Paramedic Science, etc. I just searched up the entry requirements of architecture at BCU and they list preferred subjects: Art and Design, History, Geography, English, Languages, Science or separate Science such as Physics, Biology or Chemistry, Sociology, Philosophy, Psychology, Maths, Music. Since you have picked geography and biology this will definitely help you apply for an architecture degree. Another choice I would recommend is a level economics/business studies because these allow you to apply for a broader range of degrees such as Accounting, Finance, Law, Human Resources, Business Management, Economics (BA), etc. By picking these three choices you are widening up your options, however, it is to be noted that most business school courses do not require any specific subjects most of the time except for some universities (normally Russel Group) that are mathematically intensive with their degrees so best to check up on that - sometimes they require a level maths or a 6/7 in GCSE maths. You want to take a soft subject as your third, I have done a level biology (got an A) and it is very very heavy and consumes a lot of time and I'm sure geography is hard in it's own sense - therefore doing a level business is a good choice as it's much more relaxed. A level psychology is also very heavy having done it, it involves a lot of memorisation and essay writing. Hope this helps, if you need more information let me know!
Original post by siahateskwl
You want to take a soft subject as your third

There's no such thing as 'soft' subjects. :smile:
Original post by normaw
There's no such thing as 'soft' subjects. :smile:

thats also valid as that is your opinion, my opinion still stands
Reply 5
Original post by siahateskwl
A level biology is a good choice - it opens you up to most allied health professional degrees such as Radiography, Physiotherapy, Audiology, Paramedic Science, etc. I just searched up the entry requirements of architecture at BCU and they list preferred subjects: Art and Design, History, Geography, English, Languages, Science or separate Science such as Physics, Biology or Chemistry, Sociology, Philosophy, Psychology, Maths, Music. Since you have picked geography and biology this will definitely help you apply for an architecture degree. Another choice I would recommend is a level economics/business studies because these allow you to apply for a broader range of degrees such as Accounting, Finance, Law, Human Resources, Business Management, Economics (BA), etc. By picking these three choices you are widening up your options, however, it is to be noted that most business school courses do not require any specific subjects most of the time except for some universities (normally Russel Group) that are mathematically intensive with their degrees so best to check up on that - sometimes they require a level maths or a 6/7 in GCSE maths. You want to take a soft subject as your third, I have done a level biology (got an A) and it is very very heavy and consumes a lot of time and I'm sure geography is hard in it's own sense - therefore doing a level business is a good choice as it's much more relaxed. A level psychology is also very heavy having done it, it involves a lot of memorisation and essay writing. Hope this helps, if you need more information let me know!

Oh alright, I understand psychology is also a heavy subject but if there are any ‘soft’ subjects you recommend that won’t limit my future options please let me know. I was avoiding taking business a level because I understand it is one of the ‘easier’ a levels and although I am at a grade 9 in business gcse I am not sure whether or not having it as an a level will benefit me more than it will limit me. Overall, thank you for the feedback you have been very helpful! 🙏
Original post by !mars
Oh alright, I understand psychology is also a heavy subject but if there are any ‘soft’ subjects you recommend that won’t limit my future options please let me know. I was avoiding taking business a level because I understand it is one of the ‘easier’ a levels and although I am at a grade 9 in business gcse I am not sure whether or not having it as an a level will benefit me more than it will limit me. Overall, thank you for the feedback you have been very helpful! 🙏

As I've said above, there is no such thing as 'soft' subjects. All A levels require a lot of work to do well in. Usually, a keen interest in a subject makes it more enjoyable and more likely that you will get a higher grade. Choose subjects that you are interested in and will enjoy, and check the entry requirements for any degrees you are considering. Choosing geog, bio and psych is manageable.
Reply 7
https://www.informedchoices.ac.uk/

You can use this website to find all of the degrees you can do with your subjects
Reply 8
Original post by !mars

i am currently in y13 studying bio geog and psych and can honestly say i love them all and they compliment each other really well
Original post by !mars

Hi,
current year 12. Started my year with psych and bio and geo but unfortunately it was too difficult. on my own basis i swapped geo to business because i thought the combo of geo and bio was the hardest but honestly if youre clever and a good grade student (6/7/8/9) then im sure with enough studying you will easily be able to do it. key tip - start looking at your alevel content after your gcses in the summer holiday to get a head start and to help understand everything as when you get into your alevels it goes very fast. Hope this helped and ofc my opinion is mine and you might completely disagree.

Natalie <3
Reply 10
Original post by !mars

yea that's good, my friend studies those

Quick Reply

Latest