The Student Room Group

Some advice to international students

I came from an East Asian country and have stayed in the UK for four years. As an international student myself, I would like to offer some advice that relatively few mentioned about. These of course cannot be comprehensive, but are just the bits that I can think of at the moment:

Work very hard to get a 2:1 or a first. A 2:2 would bar you from a lot of opportunities.

Don't form your own social circle to the exclusion of others please. I don't understand why there are so many Chinese, Singaporean, Malaysian and Indian Societies at a university. We surely choose to come to the UK to learn more about its culture and its people, and I don't see how exclusive societies like these would help.

Expect quite a lot of silent treatment from your local peers though, especially if you look different from them (even if you don't form your own exclusive social circles - see pt 2 above). When I was at university half of my tutorial groupmates would not even bother looking at me when I tried to speak to them. It was frustrating at first, but at the end you will just get used to it. Maybe it is because the perceived cultural gap is so wide that they just wouldn't bother to talk to you.

Read the Daily Mail and its reader comments. I say read the Daily Mail not because of its high journalistic value, but because it will not be the second most popular newspaper in the UK for no reason, and it is quite easy to get a feel of public sentiment on various issues from its website. Search "international students" on the website, and click the "Best rated comments". If you feel uncomfortable with or even disgusted by the sentiment expressed in the "Best rated comments", then it is quite likely that you will feel uncomfortable when you move to this country.

If you want to settle in the country eventually, then DON'T EVEN THINK ABOUT STUDYING IN THE UK. It is way too hard. Go to Canada or Australia instead if settling in a country where you do your undergraduate degree is something that you will consider about. One of my American classmates lost her right to say after the post-study work rules changed during her course of study, and she felt cheated.

Please feel free to add anything, and correct me if you feel that I am wrong. I hope these will give you some insights quite different from the ones printed in the brochures published by the International Office at your university.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1
Hmmm, I think you need to consider that your own personal experience will not be true for all international students. There are a lot of things that contribute to how receptive people are to you, including what part of the country you're in and (sadly) your nationality. (I live in the US but I know that this is true of pretty much anywhere.)

Also, The Daily Mail does not allign with everyone's political and social views so it won't be a great source for everyone. Basically everyone's experience is going to be different. Maybe instead of giving advice you should encourage others to share what they have noticed and compare the two.
Reply 2
I am studying at European School of Economics where students come from all over the world and everybody is keen to learn and experience different cultures that different people bring. Your point about the Daily Mail i feel not to be true about studying in England at all, especially London, which is one of the most culturally diverse places in the world. The Daily Mail represents a small amount of people in England and is known for being relatively right wing, furthermore in all comment sections of websites you get even fewer people using these and probably those expressing the most strong and extreme views in an attempt to prove a point and shock. Your last point, sadly some people may struggle with staying in the country after their degrees, but ESE also offer internship oppurtunities, giving you extra security and greater chances of starting a career in the country.

Quick Reply

Latest