The Student Room Group

How many hours can a student work

How many hours can a student wiork per week
A home or international student?
How many hours can a student wiork per week

Hello,

As an international student, you can only work 20 hours per week as per UKVI. This is during the term, and you can work full-time during the holiday. However, you can work as many hours as possible if you are a home student. But I would suggest working for a maximum of 20 hours, as it will allow you ample time to focus on your academics.

Cheers,
MSc International Business Student.
Hi there,

To echo MSc International Business Student, international students work up to 20 hours a week. If you are domestic student, my friends have worked up to 30 hours a week. It really depends on your financial needs and course needs (most importantly).
If you are looking for more opportunities, try reaching out to your University. They may have some flexible work opportunities for students (i.e., research assistant, student ambassador).

Happy to provide more context.

Thank you!

Aleks (She/her) - Law student
Hello,

As an international student you are allowed to work 20 hours per week on term time, which means that in Christmas break for example you can work for as long as you want. I would recommend looking into zero hour contracts as sometimes you can have a lot of university commitments and it can end up being overwhelming, so this option gives you more flexibility,

A UK student has no limit on the hours of work per week.

Best of luck,
Haya MBBS V
Just noting that the limits for international students are slightly different for undergrad and postgrad. Your uni should have a visa/immigration/international office who can give specific advice.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending