The Student Room Group

Getting a cat as an international student in the UK

I'm currently a first year vet student at the uni of bristol and I'm considering getting a cat for next year. I'm currently looking at housing with a friend who is also a vet student and we're most likely going to be housing together next year. We both don't drink much and she is supportive of me getting a cat!

I was mostly looking to get a cat because I really love cats and shelter medicine for cats is the field I'm mostly looking into right now. Also, as an international student it gets lonely a lot I think it would help a lot if I had a little friend.

I am still in the beginning of my research and everything to find out even if getting a cat is a good idea. My main concern lies in the fact that I am an international student so I would be travelling at least once a year back home to my family. I have looked at catteries in my area and I am considering perhaps trying to get a job in one and bring the cat to let it get used to the environment but I know that cats get stressed in new environments, especially because I would have to get an indoor cat so I worry that they would be more stressed. I do have some friends who plan on staying in bristol on breaks but again I am worried about the change of environment stressing the cat.

Any advice? Thanks! :smile:
Reply 1
Hey Ellie I’m actually one of your fellow students at Bristol in first year!
Cats can get stressed but they do surprising well in catteries as long as they have home comforts but you could also consider a sitter to come in and feed them when you are gone!
It may also depend on the cat itself, some cats will be naturally more nervous and seeing as you are interested in shelter I assume you will be rescuing one so considering their background could be a big thing!
I would defo look into cat sitters rather than catteries especially to minimise the stress if you can xx
Reply 2
Original post by elliepark0626
I'm currently a first year vet student at the uni of bristol and I'm considering getting a cat for next year. I'm currently looking at housing with a friend who is also a vet student and we're most likely going to be housing together next year. We both don't drink much and she is supportive of me getting a cat!

I was mostly looking to get a cat because I really love cats and shelter medicine for cats is the field I'm mostly looking into right now. Also, as an international student it gets lonely a lot I think it would help a lot if I had a little friend.

I am still in the beginning of my research and everything to find out even if getting a cat is a good idea. My main concern lies in the fact that I am an international student so I would be travelling at least once a year back home to my family. I have looked at catteries in my area and I am considering perhaps trying to get a job in one and bring the cat to let it get used to the environment but I know that cats get stressed in new environments, especially because I would have to get an indoor cat so I worry that they would be more stressed. I do have some friends who plan on staying in bristol on breaks but again I am worried about the change of environment stressing the cat.

I think your biggest problem will be finding accommodation that allows pets.
Original post by elliepark0626

Heyy
I’m an international student and I would be moving to UK soon. I want to bring my cat with me but I hear it’s hard to find pet friendly accommodation. Since you’re there already and considering getting a cat, I’m wondering were you able to find accommodation? If so, what helped you during the process?

Any advice would be helpful as I can’t find any international students with the same query 😓

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending