The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Acceptable
On the formula booklet they only provide those four equations which I listed. :smile:

EDIT: Then again, that is for AQA! May be different for other exam boards. :tongue:

I noticed that and I thought that was odd because there is 5 for EDEXCEL Maths-Mechanics 1.In Physics you don't have to learn the equations of motion but in Maths you do(at least on EDEXCEL).
Original post by Dalek1099
I noticed that and I thought that was odd because there is 5 for EDEXCEL Maths-Mechanics 1.In Physics you don't have to learn the equations of motion but in Maths you do(at least on EDEXCEL).

Yeah I did AQA M1 and we had to learn all 5 equations of motion, so I was surprised when there was only 4 in Physics!
Yeah I did AQA M1 and we had to learn all 5 equations of motion, so I was surprised when there was only 4 in Physics!

I have never really used the missing equation though so that might explain it, I've used the other 4 a lot.
I have never really used the missing equation though so that might explain it, I've used the other 4 a lot.

Perhaps so. Are you doing your AS Levels now?
Perhaps so. Are you doing your AS Levels now?

Yes I am doing Maths,Further Maths,Physics and Geography- quite a lot of people taking Further Maths at my Sixth Form are taking Physics, which is understandable because Further Maths at the Sixth Form I'm going to for it(I go to 2 Sixth Forms:colondollar:) is 2/3 Pure Physics.
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1379857023.733088.jpg someone help me with these? I made crap notes and to be honest I wasn't concentrating much that lesson! :/ BIG MISTAKE!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yes I am doing Maths,Further Maths,Physics and Geography- quite a lot of people taking Further Maths at my Sixth Form are taking Physics, which is understandable because Further Maths at the Sixth Form I'm going to for it(I go to 2 Sixth Forms:colondollar:) is 2/3 Pure Physics.

I did the same AS Levels as you, and I did Chemistry as well. I'm sure you'll love the year ahead!
Has everyone else been studying virtually all Maths in their Physics lessons? and the homework has been the same and some questions have been challenging.I have seen that the AQA A course seems to contain roughly 35% Maths and only about 20% for Unit 1, which we are studying now so I think that it is strange the amount of Maths we are studying and we are also doing loads of practicals and drawing lots of graphs, which you could argue again is just more Maths.
Original post by adi19956
Is this OCR B? I was in the same position. I got 93% in unit 2 and high 70s in unit 1. Really makes a difference

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4

This is OCR A,
Planning on going into engineering, so physics is quite important, the maths I understand, and at the moment it is okay, as we haven't really touched anything too difficult. And I am doing mechanics in maths so thankfully I can see what he means when he tries to explain stuff.

Not looking forward to when he starts teaching stuff we haven't covered in maths.

Does anybody recommend any textbooks for OCR A Physics? At the moment I only have the OCR one, which isn't great as there is hardly any questions in it
Has everyone else been studying virtually all Maths in their Physics lessons? and the homework has been the same and some questions have been challenging.I have seen that the AQA A course seems to contain roughly 35% Maths and only about 20% for Unit 1, which we are studying now so I think that it is strange the amount of Maths we are studying and we are also doing loads of practicals and drawing lots of graphs, which you could argue again is just more Maths.

Yes, also lots of Maths in my classes too. Realistically bough, Physics is applied Mathematics (IMO at least anyway); so very relevant.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Mathsphysicspe
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1379857023.733088.jpg someone help me with these? I made crap notes and to be honest I wasn't concentrating much that lesson! :/ BIG MISTAKE!

Posted from TSR Mobile

1. Before you draw vector diagrams you should have a suitable scale. You shouldn't have any problems doing this.
2. For the first two cases use Pythagoras theorem. For the third one you should first resolve horizontally and vertically before using Pythagoras Subtract the smaller from the larger.
3. For this you can again use Pythagoras and tan. (as in right angle triangles)
4. to resolve a force or a vector to its perpendicular components (with a given angle) multiply the magnitude by the sin or cos of that angle. See the image...resolving.png
5. Equilibrium means no resultant forces (or moment) so no net or resultant force. To find , resolve t vertically and horizontally and equalise each component with the opposite force. (as there is no resultant forces in any direction)
Hope it helped, but don't worry. These are basic concepts and without them you can't do physics 1 or mechanics, so you'll soon be very familiar.
Original post by Dorkins
Treasure it, because many people seem to drop Physics after AS :frown:

Which is a shame because I really like it. I guess they're a bit shocked by how different it is from GCSE.
Original post by JPL9457
is anybody else doing unit 2 first? #YOLO

I did that last year :colone:, what board?
Reply 193
Original post by Boy_wonder_95
I did that last year :colone:, what board?

AQA! hbu?

is it easy?
Original post by JPL9457
AQA! hbu?

is it easy?

OCR

Your Unit 2 has Mechanics, Materials and Waves which isn't too bad, the Mechanics portion you would have covered in Maths
Reply 195
What's the best way to get an A in physics or to even get really good at it?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Aminaa124
What's the best way to get an A in physics or to even get really good at it?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Understand the concepts, do lots of practice questions, review past topics regularly (not just during revision), and find extra worksheets to do at home.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi guys, doing OCR B, isn't going too bad.
Reply 198
On OCR A, loving mechanics so far. Just need to finish C1 in maths so I can start M1.
Hello guys I am doing the WJEC exam board. Anyway I have posted this in a seperate thread but seeing as everyone is starting out the same year as me I was hoping to get some help on this if possible: I have two things that I'd like to add more to my answers please so I hope it's not too much trouble to correct me if I'm wrong. I'm just really crap at writing stuff down and explaining stuff.

>>Is laser light a suitable source for the experiment because the laser light waves are coherent? Also I'd like to elaborate more on it if there are other reasons involved,

>>Also what was the historical significance of the double slit experiment? All I know is that it provided a wave model for light, but again, I want to elaborate on it more but I don't know what else to write...

Thanks <333
(edited 10 years ago)

Latest