The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by MangoFreak
Got 35/50 in the mock ISA, but like 10 of the lost marks were for laziness, which means I got an A in spirit :fan:

What's 10 marks lost for laziness?:s-smilie:

I swear ISAs are out of 40 in total.
Original post by L'Evil Fish
What's 10 marks lost for laziness?:s-smilie:

I swear ISAs are out of 40 in total.

AQA is out of 50 (41 + automatic 9 for practical execution).

I lost one mark for a graph scale which couldn't have checked for correct plotting without effort on the part of the marker, and I couldn't be ****ed to draw the graph in a different orientation with a scale which would have been good, but have required me to mark out like 30/40 points :hand: (Obviously this won't be a thing which will be happening in the real ISA)

A few were lost because I had an answer to a question in my head which seemed stupidly simplistic, so I wrote something else down despite my first thoughts being correct, so not all was lost through laziness :tongue: My chemistry teacher reminds us of an acronym he likes to use: KISS - Keep It Simple, Stupid :lol: Not unwise advice.
Reply 782
Original post by benwalters1996
OCR B: Which part of the course is everyone on?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Just started the 2nd exam content
Original post by MangoFreak
AQA is out of 50 (41 + automatic 9 for practical execution).

I lost one mark for a graph scale which couldn't have checked for correct plotting without effort on the part of the marker, and I couldn't be ****ed to draw the graph in a different orientation with a scale which would have been good, but have required me to mark out like 30/40 points :hand: (Obviously this won't be a thing which will be happening in the real ISA)

A few were lost because I had an answer to a question in my head which seemed stupidly simplistic, so I wrote something else down despite my first thoughts being correct, so not all was lost through laziness :tongue: My chemistry teacher reminds us of an acronym he likes to use: KISS - Keep It Simple, Stupid :lol: Not unwise advice.

Oh I thought we were both on OCR!

Hahahaha lazy!

:rofl: good acronym :wink:
Oh I thought we were both on OCR!

Hahahaha lazy!

:rofl: good acronym :wink:

nah OCR Chemistry :tongue:
If you don't do repeats, what if they ask you to find the percentage uncertainty in a result?
Reply 786
Original post by SmartIndianMan
If you don't do repeats, what if they ask you to find the percentage uncertainty in a result?

It's from a given result. e.g. if you are asked to find the resistance of a resistor and it says 100 ohms on it it would be the %difference between your calculated value and that. Or it could be using a resistor that is 100±10 ohms you would work out the uncertainty.

Or it could be as simple as adding the % uncertainty from all of the equipment you use.

Without seeing a question I can't really tell.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 787
Simple suvat
A wagon at with velocity 2ms-1 arrives at an incline on which it takes 15s to decelerate and start reversing.

Find the distance travelled up the plane.
I just did s=[(u+v)/2)]t
=[(2+0)/2]x15
=15m
But i think im ignoring deceleration due to gravity

How does gravity affect its acceleration here/how to find out accn and deccn?
Thanks
Original post by Nat_LPS
Simple suvat
A wagon at with velocity 2ms-1 arrives at an incline on which it takes 15s to decelerate and start reversing.

I just did s=[(u+v)/2)]t
=[(2+0)/2]x15
=15m

Thanks

You don't know the incline anyway but acceleration (well deceleration) from gravity is constant (for the purpose of the question) which means suvat is applicable.

You could work out the weight component if you wanted... Using:

v^2 = u^2 + (2)(a)(s)
-2 = as

-2/15 = a

Etc
Reply 789
Original post by Nat_LPS
Simple suvat

I just did s=[(u+v)/2)]t
=[(2+0)/2]x15
=15m

Thanks

Do you have an angle for the incline?

You don't know the incline anyway but acceleration (well deceleration) from gravity is constant (for the purpose of the question) which means suvat is applicable.

You could work out the weight component if you wanted... Using:

v^2 = u^2 + (2)(a)(s)
-2 = as

-2/15 = a

Etc

15 is the time taken not the displacement :tongue:
Original post by alow
Do you have an angle for the incline?

15 is the time taken not the displacement :tongue:

Oh :tongue:

There's no angle though :frown:
Reply 791

The question must have another part?

I think I may have worked it out without an angle but it's really not just a simple suvat, you ahve to use a couple of the equations and make a couple of assumptions.
Reply 792
Original post by Nat_LPS
Simple suvat

I just did s=[(u+v)/2)]t
=[(2+0)/2]x15
=15m

Thanks

Scratch that, you're right, 15m. I checked by finding a using a quadratic to get the acceleration and then put it into s=ut+0.5at^2 and got 15m. Working's spoilered if you want to look.

Nat_LPS's approach was right, there's also this way, where I found the acceleration first:

Spoiler

(edited 10 years ago)
How do calculate the Voltage for both in parallel? Isn't there going to be 2 Voltage readings for both resistors?
How do calculate the Voltage for both in parallel? Isn't there going to be 2 Voltage readings for both resistors?

Do you have the current through both components and their respective resistances?
Original post by alow
The question must have another part?

I think I may have worked it out without an angle but it's really not just a simple suvat, you ahve to use a couple of the equations and make a couple of assumptions.

Original post by alow
Scratch that, you're right, 15m. I checked by finding a using a quadratic to get the acceleration and then put it into s=ut+0.5at^2 and got 15m. Working's spoilered if you want to look.

Nat_LPS's approach was right, there's also this way, where I found the acceleration first:

Spoiler

That's where I had -2/15 :tongue: and substituute it back in!
That's where I had -2/15 :tongue: and substituute it back in!

Did you do the Physics ISA on resistors? Is it an IV graph or VI graph?
Reply 797
Did you do the Physics ISA on resistors? Is it an IV graph or VI graph?

The independent variable will be on the y axis. It depends what you're measuring.
Reply 798
Anyone done the AQA ISA for refraction?
Original post by Farhan96
Anyone done the AQA ISA for refraction?

I think I'm doing that on Thursday.

Latest