The Student Room Group

Which is worse Animal Suffering or Children suffering?

Poll

Which is worse?

I see this question on OKCupid (dating website) and chicks usually put down that they're both as bad as each other.

Pretty scary tbh, how could you not value children's suffering as worse than animal suffering?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I think the question is so vague it's almost impossible to answer.

The difference between child and animal suffering is often that the child's suffering could have been avoided and was caused by another human's negligence, cruelty, or enormous societal imbalances. The question doesn't specify whether it means suffering caused by humans or suffering in general.
Reply 2
Original post by Rananagirl
I think the question is so vague it's almost impossible to answer.

The difference between child and animal suffering is often that the child's suffering could have been avoided and was caused by another human's negligence, cruelty, or enormous societal imbalances. The question doesn't specify whether it means suffering caused by humans or suffering in general.

Hmm does it matter? Suffering is suffering.
I put both as bad as each other.

If I were any religion, it would be Buddhism.

All life is equal
Reply 4
Isn't any suffering bad enough? They are both more than likely at the hands of humans.

I'm an atheist so I'm not seeing it from any religious view.
It's probably as bad as each other, but still, unfortunately animals cant type on student forums to give their opinion.
Reply 6
They're both as bad as each other. Any very unnecessary inflicted suffering onto a vulnerable living creature is wrong.

But my instinct is animal suffering is worse. My body tenses more at a sight of a cub being hit (for example), than seeing an NSPCC advert with a child crying in the cot. Probably because there is more protection for children and people can get away with harming animals more. :s-smilie:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 7
Animal suffering. It can't ask for help. Easy. I dislike children anyway.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Why is religion being brought up? I'm not sure which point it argues as I wasn't brought up religious.

Anyways I think child suffering is miles worse than animal suffering. Anyone who says they are similar or animal suffering is worse, I can't be around.
Both animal cruelty and child cruelty are as bad as each other in my opinion, why should any of them have to suffer? In terms of animal cruelty it's vile that they suffer for human vanity I.e animal testing just so people can have cosmetics or walk around in their fur.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Original post by vendettax
Why is religion being brought up? I'm not sure which point it argues as I wasn't brought up religious.

Anyways I think child suffering is miles worse than animal suffering. Anyone who says they are similar or animal suffering is worse, I can't be around.

Why?
imo, humans are designed to feel worse for children suffering rather than animals since all living things' ultimate goal is to let their offspring prosper so their species continues. (not sure how to phrase it correctly but you know what I mean).

I'll probs be negged for this, but anyone that chooses both is most likely just being pretentious. If there was a baby and a puppy drowning, and you can only save one, most will save the baby.
Reply 12
Original post by the_chemist

I'll probs be negged for this, but anyone that chooses both is most likely just being pretentious. If there was a baby and a puppy drowning, and you can only save one, most will save the baby.

At least I hope this is true.
Reply 13
I don't see why child suffering is worse than animal suffering?

TBH I don't feel that much of a bond with my fellow man. I prefer animals to people.

But at the same time, I don't want to see anything or anyone suffer so I answered that they're both as bad as each other.
Reply 14
I see this question on OKCupid (dating website) and chicks usually put down that they're both as bad as each other.

Pretty scary tbh, how could you not value children's suffering as worse than animal suffering?

Why is a human worth more than an animal?

You say that as if not using them actually contributes to stopping them. I'm a vegetarian, but I don't delude myself into thinking this somehow stops slaughterhouses; it makes no difference, at all.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 15
Meat? No.

Free range dairy & eggs? Yes.
Reply 16
I mean this is liberalism at it's finest. Taking a fly's life is the same as taking a babies life to them.
Reply 17
I mean this is liberalism at it's finest. Taking a fly's life is the same as taking a babies life to them.

But you see the problem here is that there is only one species of child - a child.

There are millions of species of animal, so you could always catch us out with some BS like that.

I would say, for me, there would be a scale of worth which I would give to different animals, based on population, worth, use within the world and (selfishly) beauty.

A fly is obviously not as valuable to me as a child, but an almost extinct tiger? One could argue the Tiger's life is much more valuable than a child's life due to the overpopulation of humans and the under-population of the Tiger.
Reply 18
Rearing animals for human purposes is not the same as animal cruelty. Free-range animals don't experience any more suffering in life than they would do in the wild, and if they're killed relatively quickly and painlessly according to animal rights legislation they don't experience any suffering in death either.

The problems come from factory and battery farming, and I try to avoid their products as much as possible.
Reply 19
Children. I probably have an stronger, innate response to a younger member of my own species being in danger than that of another. I'm sure that it is an evolutionary advantage.

The fact that in our species young offspring are meant to have constant parental care probably makes me feel more irrationally upset if a child is suffering because it could be due to negligence.
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending