The Student Room Group

Life as a Birmingham Medic

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Beth_Armitage
love reading your posts as a fellow B'ham student, we are the best after all!

:biggrin: B'ham's definitely the best, no doubt about it!
Reply 21
Alright guys, it's been a while.... wow, I'm so bad at this.

I've just had reading week. It's been hectic since I last wrote, I have a mock essay to write, an actual essay due 4th December with referencing that I've never used before (and it contributes towards this year, I kinda need to do well) and obviously the rest of the work! We had a mock today, to give us an example of what the exam in January will be like - obviously this mock was only covering what we've learnt so far, but it was very interesting. In case you're wondering, I got exactly 50%, so I should pass my exam in January, but I'd rather have a bit more overlap than that :tongue: You need 40% in each exam and 50% average overall, so I'm aiming for about 60% as that's what the average medic achieves. Obviously I'd love to get more, but there are many clever people here, so there's no point expecting to be at the top or near the top like most of us medics were at high school.

I get prosection in a couple of weeks time, I can't wait! Someone pointed out to me that I've never seen a dead human being before though, I'm hoping it's not too challenging... but it'll be good to actually see the anatomy in a person instead of just from a textbook :biggrin: Also coming up is my birthday, so of course I'm going to Cadbury's World with my flat - I'm in Birmingham, you can't come to Birmingham and ignore the fact that Cadbury's is on your doorstep. If you don't like chocolate then fair enough, but still... And there's a Christmas market that I'm going to visit next week, I'm hoping for free samples (typical student, I know)! So many exciting things going on there.

It is weird being back here though... I went home for reading week, which felt weird, and now I'm back in Birmingham on a Friday - I now have 2 days off! It's very confusing, and I'm hoping I get my head around it. I missed my flatmates and the medical life, it's a good life. Honestly, when people say uni is the best time of your life, believe them; for me it certainly is at present, and I hate exaggeration, so you can believe me :tongue: (it's ok if you don't, I'm not that mean).

I'll write again soon, sorry guys! P.S. those of you reading this that have applied to Birmingham, good luck - it's the best uni, you made the right choice :biggrin:
Reply 22
Hello again everyone! I must apologise, it has been an exceedingly long time since I last wrote. I have had a lot on - safe to say you don't get bored as a medic, there's always something to do!

So what have I been doing? Work. More work. A bit more work after that. Going to Christmas Market - one of the best things about Birmingham, I will explain some more. Secret Santa. Trying to get ready for Christmas. Visiting family. Coming HOME! With regards to the work - I'm not even sure why these past few weeks have been busier, I think it might be because we have an exam coming up in January that we needed to revise for as well as keep up with all the new lectures. Safe to say I got even better at procrastinating, and I did no work at all on my birthday (it was on a sunday, I literally spent the day doing nothing. I'm quite good at that!). However, now it is the holidays, and I am revising, but I am also relaxing. Some people are panicking, I know I will soon, but for now I don't see the point in stressing - a little a day is good.

Some people have already stressed. I will say now - please DON'T. It's not sensible, work is important and obviously the exam coming up is important, as is every exam, but at the end of the day people can only do their best and there's no point in stressing over whether your best is good enough; we all got into medical school, therefore our best is good enough. Interesting point to note is that not many people are actually in competition - again, this is good. Competition does not always help. It does in small amounts, perhaps, but at medical school I think it's just easier to bumble along as you are. I'm still very happy, and that has to be a good thing, right?

I have had problems this term. Long distance relationships are insanely difficult. I'm still with my boyfriend, but we've had a lot of struggles this term. These holidays are good because we can see each other again, but it really is weird to think how a bit of distance can affect us so much. I've also had problems in that my Grandad is very ill, so I went down to see him one weekend and obviously there's a lot of concern there. The one thing to realise though is that just because you're not with your family because you're at uni does NOT mean you're alone. My flatmates have been very supportive and everyone in med school has been brilliant. The last day of the holidays everyone was hugging and saying goodbye, and it was weird because if you think about it, we've known each other 3 months and yet we were all really sad to think we wouldn't be seeing each other again most likely for another month. I will be meeting up with some people over these hols, but otherwise everyone's gone home, whether that's in this country or another,and it's not going to be easy to see them. It's a strange feeling, but Birmingham is literally my 2nd home and my friends are my 2nd family!

Next thing. Everyone's been searching for houses. I'm very behind on this, we're looking for houses when we get back, but some people have already signed a contract! It's quite scary, I know nothing about house-hunting, but the uni issues good advice and will check over the contract with us (once we've got one) to make sure there's nothing dodgy. Hopefully that'll go ok *fingers crossed*.

Now, I said I'd talk about the Christmas Market. It's AMAZING. Literally everyone went down there at some point, and I went twice. They had strawberries and grapes dipped in melted milk and white Belgian chocolate... (drooling, they tasted so good) and doughnuts! Fresh doughnuts! We did have an awkward moment when my friend bought a doughnut and dropped it straight on the floor, but the doughnuts are also veeeeeeery tasty. Well worth it. There are loads of handmade gifts (handy for Christmas shopping), as there's a craft bit, and obviously lots of food. Birmingham has so much more to offer than where I'm from... I do miss it!

I will write again soon, feel free to ask any questions and the like, I will tell more about the term soon!
Original post by Zaphod77
Hello again everyone! I must apologise, it has been an exceedingly long time since I last wrote. I have had a lot on - safe to say you don't get bored as a medic, there's always something to do!

I will write again soon, feel free to ask any questions and the like, I will tell more about the term soon!

Great post as usual, love hearing from a fellow Brum student! I know what you mean about the German market it is really good, so much good food! :smile: Look forward to more posts and I'm also missing my second fam :smile:
Do you share a flat with other medical students or do they mix you up?

P.S. I really enjoy reading your posts :smile:
Reply 25
Original post by medicboy2014
Do you share a flat with other medical students or do they mix you up?

P.S. I really enjoy reading your posts :smile:

Thank you! They mix everyone up, it's completely random who you end up with in the accommodation. Having said that, I do share a flat with 3 other medics (and then there's 1 music and 1 geography); purely coincidental, there are other people in med school who don't know have any medics in their flat or even in their block! It's quite nice having a mix in my flat though, as I'm not the only one waking up early in the morning and getting back late, but having the variety means I'm not constantly talking Medicine and I find out more about the uni itself :tongue:
How's revision going?! I am DYING, I did a day of PPP yesterday and it wasn't fun. It's got to the point where population pyramids look like deformed Christmas trees. Not good.
Reply 27
Original post by JenLivYoung
How's revision going?! I am DYING, I did a day of PPP yesterday and it wasn't fun. It's got to the point where population pyramids look like deformed Christmas trees. Not good.

Hmm, could definitely be going better.I know what you mean, I have been avoiding PPP XD I'm too good at procrastination! Seriously worried abut the exam... But fingers crossed!
Hmm, could definitely be going better.I know what you mean, I have been avoiding PPP XD I'm too good at procrastination! Seriously worried abut the exam... But fingers crossed!

Every time I do PPP it rains, a sign maybe? :tongue:

Same here, it's so scary! Hopefully if we've been over everything though, it should be recognisable in the exam? I'm hoping anyway :')

If I don't see you before, GOOD LUCK!!
Reply 29
Original post by JenLivYoung
Every time I do PPP it rains, a sign maybe? :tongue:

Same here, it's so scary! Hopefully if we've been over everything though, it should be recognisable in the exam? I'm hoping anyway :')

If I don't see you before, GOOD LUCK!!

Ha ha , hopefully! GOOD LUCK TO YOU TOO! :eek:
Reply 30
Dear TSRians,

This post will let you know that I might not fail Medicine! I passed the first exam and first essay comfortably, which is AMAZING to me :biggrin: 2 weeks ago I had my first exam. I felt completely unprepared, as it's basically impossible to revise everything you need to know, and I had never felt so uncertain of passing an exam as that one. It was a Multiple Choice Question paper (MCQ) on 4 modules taken in the first term. I think I will spend this post explaining how exams and modules work in the first year.

Looking at the first semester/term:

There are 5 days in a week, as you all know, and there is a different module on each day (this is the case for all year, but I thought I'd explain it now as it will probably get confusing later on). Thursdays are Integrated Professional and Academic Skills (IPAS) day, or Community Based Medicine (CBM) day. They alternate, so one week will be IPAS and the next will be CBM. I will explain what these are later, but I'm mentioning them now because these modules will go on for the whole year. The modules specific to Semester 1 are:

- Molecules to Man (MTM). This module looks at cells, organelles, proteins, embryology and genetics. This module is designed to let us know and understand the basics - other modules will require understanding of what was covered. It is confusing (embryology certainly is!) and happens on a Monday, so of course nobody's very awake for it anyway.

- Communication, Endocrinology and Pharmacology (CEP). This module looks at what it says on the tin, as it covers drug interactions, receptors, the endocrine system, metabolism (some of this is in MTM as well) and lots of Diabetes. You will find you get sick of Diabetes, we have to do so much on it, even in CBM. This module is difficult due to the number of drug names and properties you need to know, but it's interesting and has a high amount of clinical content.

- Neurones and Synapses (NAS). This module has a lot of content. You have to learn a lot of anatomy, as it covers everything about the nervous system; this includes the central nervous system but it's mostly about the peripheral nervous system, so you need to know anatomy of the spinal cord and brain, the brachial plexus, where nerves exit and enter, the different types of nerve, and all the dermatomes (which spinal nerves are responsible for sensation in each section of skin). Can be confusing and this does include some learning by rote (the cranial and spinal nerves).

- Patients, Populations and People (PPP). I'll be honest, I'm not sure if the 3 Ps go in that order, but it doesn't matter. This is the bit that looks at Sociology, Psychology, Ethics and Law, Public Health and communication skills. Commonly considered the doss module, happens on Wednesday mornings (the whole uni get Wednesday afternoons off). Bit of a pain, but it's a nice break from all the science-y stuff!

These 4 modules get assessed all at once, in the form of an MCQ in January (which I passed!) and a Short Answer Question paper (SAQ) in June, which comes with a lovely Anatomy True/False Plus paper (that was sarcastic, it looks awful). The SAQs are worth the most, and are probably the hardest as well because you can't just guess if you don't know. True/False Plus, if you're wondering, is where you're given a statement, have to say whether it's true or false and then expand on it (give more detail, explain why, that kind of thing).

Semester 2 specific modules:

- Muscles, Joints and Movements (MJM). For this you literally have to know every muscle, what movement(s) it allows, and types of joints. Obviously I've only just started this semester, but already there's loads of anatomy. You need to know nerve supply to the muscles as well, I think...

- Introduction to the Respiratory System (IRM). Birmingham does modules in terms of systems, so this covers how respiration occurs and the anatomy that allows this to happen.

- The Digestive System (DIG). Pretty self-explanatory. A lot of anatomy in this as well, but some of it links into IRM (like the pharynx).

- Doctors, Patients and Society (DPS). Like PPP of the first semester, it contains all the sociological side of being a doctor with Sociology, Psychology, Ethics and Law, and Public Health.

I will tell you more about the 2nd semester modules when I know more, of course, but it's assessed the same way as Semester 1 except all of the exams are in May/June.

So the remaining 2 modules that span the year? IPAS and CBM. Let me explain more...

IPAS. The PBL part of the medical course at Birmingham. Commonly considered the worst part, but again it is a break from the science-y stuff. You have to do a presentation every time you have an IPAS day, so you soon get used to speaking in front of people! This also includes Regional Anatomy, which is basically like MJM but with blood vessels added in - you need to know where all of the major blood vessels go and branch. There's a lot to learn for this, but prosection is very helpful with this. Assessed as an essay (the one I've done and passed!) in November and a presentation in June after all the written exams.

CBM. The GP! This is where you get to go to a GP and learn clinical skills. Definitely some of the best days of the year are in CBM. You get to learn how to take Blood Pressure and pulses, how to take blood (although you don't practise on people until 2nd year), how to perform an abdominal examination, how to use your stethoscope... Reminds you what you're actually doing in medical school. This is assessed as an essay, due in March (I have the title, I need to start figuring out what I'm doing for it...).

You will get used to all the abbreviations of the modules quite quickly, but I know it's probably quite confusing at the moment! I will write more that's relevant to people other than medical students soon, but I hope that's explained the set-up of the year a bit. I'll write again soon! :smile:
Reply 31
P.S. Sorry, that's a lot of information all at once... Have fun reading!
Alright guys, it's been a while.... wow, I'm so bad at this.

I've just had reading week. It's been hectic since I last wrote, I have a mock essay to write, an actual essay due 4th December with referencing that I've never used before (and it contributes towards this year, I kinda need to do well) and obviously the rest of the work! We had a mock today, to give us an example of what the exam in January will be like - obviously this mock was only covering what we've learnt so far, but it was very interesting. In case you're wondering, I got exactly 50%, so I should pass my exam in January, but I'd rather have a bit more overlap than that :tongue: You need 40% in each exam and 50% average overall, so I'm aiming for about 60% as that's what the average medic achieves. Obviously I'd love to get more, but there are many clever people here, so there's no point expecting to be at the top or near the top like most of us medics were at high school.

I get prosection in a couple of weeks time, I can't wait! Someone pointed out to me that I've never seen a dead human being before though, I'm hoping it's not too challenging... but it'll be good to actually see the anatomy in a person instead of just from a textbook :biggrin: Also coming up is my birthday, so of course I'm going to Cadbury's World with my flat - I'm in Birmingham, you can't come to Birmingham and ignore the fact that Cadbury's is on your doorstep. If you don't like chocolate then fair enough, but still... And there's a Christmas market that I'm going to visit next week, I'm hoping for free samples (typical student, I know)! So many exciting things going on there.

It is weird being back here though... I went home for reading week, which felt weird, and now I'm back in Birmingham on a Friday - I now have 2 days off! It's very confusing, and I'm hoping I get my head around it. I missed my flatmates and the medical life, it's a good life. Honestly, when people say uni is the best time of your life, believe them; for me it certainly is at present, and I hate exaggeration, so you can believe me :tongue: (it's ok if you don't, I'm not that mean).

I'll write again soon, sorry guys! P.S. those of you reading this that have applied to Birmingham, good luck - it's the best uni, you made the right choice :biggrin:

It's really good to hear you say that as I'm going to university in September and I can't wait :smile: I'm on a gap year so I've been looking forward to it for ages plus all my friends are at university, which means I see all of their photos and stories on Facebook.
But when I see things on hear like 'I haven't enjoyed uni and it's an over-hyped experience' or 'I feel lonely', it makes me feel like I'll be disappointed because it won't live up to my expectations :s-smilie: But to hear someone say it is honestly the best time of their life makes me feel so much more excited about for September :smile:
Sorry for rambling :tongue:
Reply 33
Original post by pink pineapple
It's really good to hear you say that as I'm going to university in September and I can't wait :smile: I'm on a gap year so I've been looking forward to it for ages plus all my friends are at university, which means I see all of their photos and stories on Facebook.
But when I see things on hear like 'I haven't enjoyed uni and it's an over-hyped experience' or 'I feel lonely', it makes me feel like I'll be disappointed because it won't live up to my expectations :s-smilie: But to hear someone say it is honestly the best time of their life makes me feel so much more excited about for September :smile:
Sorry for rambling :tongue:

Haha, you say sorry for rambling on my blog which is a list of rambles from me :tongue: Some people do say that, and some people don't enjoy it, but then some people just go so they can get a job at the end and don't enjoy the subject they're undertaking, which is bound to ruin the experience, and some people don't say anything to anyone and so don't make friends as easily - I think you have to be active in finding people with the same interests by being yourself and talking to people, and if you do that then you'll be fine :smile: I can't talk for other universities, but I'm finding I'm learning so much about culture here in Birmingham. You can learn so much separate to your course and there's so much to do, that in my opinion you can't get bored unless you stay in your room and do nothing, because there's something for everyone.

The only thing I will say is that sometimes people do find themselves with flatmates that they don't get on with. However, if you speak to accommodation services and it's a serious problem there are things they can do, and some people only use their flat as a base to sleep in anyway! The key thing is, don't worry, and go out there and enjoy :biggrin:
Reply 34
Enjoy this blog quite a lot :smile:

I'm going to Birmingham September 2014 hopefully..
Reply 35
Original post by TheBBQ
Enjoy this blog quite a lot :smile:

I'm going to Birmingham September 2014 hopefully..

Thank you! Awesome :smile:
Haha, you say sorry for rambling on my blog which is a list of rambles from me :tongue: Some people do say that, and some people don't enjoy it, but then some people just go so they can get a job at the end and don't enjoy the subject they're undertaking, which is bound to ruin the experience, and some people don't say anything to anyone and so don't make friends as easily - I think you have to be active in finding people with the same interests by being yourself and talking to people, and if you do that then you'll be fine :smile: I can't talk for other universities, but I'm finding I'm learning so much about culture here in Birmingham. You can learn so much separate to your course and there's so much to do, that in my opinion you can't get bored unless you stay in your room and do nothing, because there's something for everyone.

The only thing I will say is that sometimes people do find themselves with flatmates that they don't get on with. However, if you speak to accommodation services and it's a serious problem there are things they can do, and some people only use their flat as a base to sleep in anyway! The key thing is, don't worry, and go out there and enjoy :biggrin:

I'm really passionate about my chosen course and whilst I'm not the world's loudest person, I'm fairly extroverted and don't really have a problem with making friends. So going out of my way to meet and talk to new people doesn't really bother me :smile:
I love the idea about learning about loads of new things, not just about my course but about life in-general. I want to get involved with a ton of new stuff at university, whilst the course is really important, I want to really enjoy myself and make the most of it :smile:

That does worry me a bit, whilst I imagine myself getting on really well with my flatmates, there is a bit of me that worries that I won't. Then again I get a long well with most people so I'm sure that if there is one person who I don't along with, I won't be everyone. Plus if you're living with people, I guess you're going to get on each others nerves at some point, it's inevitable. Like you said, I guess it's just best to go for it and anyway, out of everyone who's gone to uni that I've spoken to, I think only one person said they're hating it. So if everyone I know is loving it, there can't be any reason why I wouldn't :biggrin:
Reply 37
Original post by pink pineapple
I'm really passionate about my chosen course and whilst I'm not the world's loudest person, I'm fairly extroverted and don't really have a problem with making friends. So going out of my way to meet and talk to new people doesn't really bother me :smile:
I love the idea about learning about loads of new things, not just about my course but about life in-general. I want to get involved with a ton of new stuff at university, whilst the course is really important, I want to really enjoy myself and make the most of it :smile:

That does worry me a bit, whilst I imagine myself getting on really well with my flatmates, there is a bit of me that worries that I won't. Then again I get a long well with most people so I'm sure that if there is one person who I don't along with, I won't be everyone. Plus if you're living with people, I guess you're going to get on each others nerves at some point, it's inevitable. Like you said, I guess it's just best to go for it and anyway, out of everyone who's gone to uni that I've spoken to, I think only one person said they're hating it. So if everyone I know is loving it, there can't be any reason why I wouldn't :biggrin:

That's ok then! You'll probably feel really nervous the week before going, but honestly everyone's in the same boat and for the most part people do get along with some or all of their flatmates even if they don't spend a lot of time with them. Just stay optimistic! :smile:
That's ok then! You'll probably feel really nervous the week before going, but honestly everyone's in the same boat and for the most part people do get along with some or all of their flatmates even if they don't spend a lot of time with them. Just stay optimistic! :smile:

Were you nervous the week before going?
Reply 39
Reading this has made me so excited, im applying to birmingham and have an interview coming up, thanks for sharing! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending