The Student Room Group

My University of Birmingham Fresher’s Experience Blog

Hi all!
I thought I would create this blog to give people a realistic idea of what freshers at UoB is like :smile: I also think it would be a nice thing to look back on in a few years time.

Backstory

I studied Maths, Biology, Chemistry, and Welsh Baccalaureate at my secondary school's sixth form. I applied to Birmingham, Cardiff, Bath, UCL and KCL for Biomedical Science with predicted grades of A*AAA. I received offers from all five universities and after much deliberation decided to firm Birmingham and insure Cardiff (my home uni). I received my results this summer and obtained A*A*A*A with the A being in Chemistry! I was super shocked by this as after the exams I definitely thought an A* was out of the question in maths. I've had a tough couple of years with a lot of things going wrong in my life so I am just proud to have made it through both my GCSE and A-Level exams.

Why Biomed?

Throughout school I have always loved learning about Human Biology (mostly thanks to having a great Biology teacher from Year 9 all the way until Year 13). In my GCSE years my goal was to apply to medicine. Although I believe I would love the course, I don't think the career of being a Doctor is best suited to me. I would love to get involved in research after my degree or possible complete the NHS Scientist Training Program, or maybe even become a Biology teacher! Can you tell I have no idea what to do:colondollar: My point is that there are a lot of career pathways to choose from with a biomed degree and I am hoping I will really love the course!

Why UoB?

I fell in love with the campus on the open day and during the offer holder day I met some lovely people who will potentially be joining me on the course! It's also not too far from home (2 hrs) but it's close enough to pop back the odd weekend if I wanted. The course seems great and with it being part of the Medical School the lecturers are a mixture of clinicians and scientists allowing for a diverse range of expertise in the topic areas. UoB also has a reputation for having a great student life with a balance of work and play and some great sports teams I would love to get involved in!

My goals for freshers and beyond!

Try out as many sports as possible and pick my favourite to do alongside Karate which I have already been doing for years. (I've been thinking of trying Kickboxing, Muay Thai, Football and Basketball)

Make new friends! I want to be open to anything in Fresher's and say yes to as many things as possible.

Explore the city and campus, find new places to visit, find my fav food spots, find study spots etc.

Keep busy to help reduce the feeling of homesickness.

Call my family regularly so I feel less guilty about moving away from home.

Get involved in Uni life: go to freshers fair, go to events organised by hall reps, get to know flatmates, go out clubbing etc.

Survive my first week being fully independent (hopefully without burning the kitchen down or shrinking my clothes)

Knuckle down and do well in my course.

Gain as much experience as possible to bulk out my CV. I will take up any opportunity presented to me as long as it doesn't interfere with my academics or social life too much.

Packing List

I will update this with my packing list to help out any other freshers moving to uni this year or in the future!

Checklist of things to do before I move

Change my rent payments to come out of student bank account.

Final bits of shopping.

Find my other two flatmates and get to know them (already managed to find two in groupchats).

Spend as much time with family and friends as possible.

Sort out my folder of important documents.

Get to know a few people on my course so I don't feel totally alone:lol:

I will update regularly with how I am feeling about moving (my emotions are all over the place right now), how move in day goes, any activities I get involved in and my first day of lectures!

Any questions let me know and I will try my best to answer them. Hope you all enjoy this blog.
Ooooh super excited abt this blog i would love to study at Birmingham!!!
Reply 2
Original post by toothysmile
Ooooh super excited abt this blog i would love to study at Birmingham!!!

thank you! are you a current a-level student? what would you like to study?
Original post by maddyloveridge1
thank you! are you a current a-level student? what would you like to study?

Yep! I'm studying Bio, Chem, Double Maths and hopefully dentistry!
Reply 4
Yep! I'm studying Bio, Chem, Double Maths and hopefully dentistry!

sounds great, i’m sure i’ve seen a person on tiktok doing UoB advice videos that studies dentistry. i will try and find their page for you because it might be useful!
oooooooooo thank you 😁😁😁 (PRSOM)
sounds great, i’m sure i’ve seen a person on tiktok doing UoB advice videos that studies dentistry. i will try and find their page for you because it might be useful!
Reply 6
oooooooooo thank you 😁😁😁 (PRSOM)

her page is @dentaliya, @budsstok also has a few tiktoks on their page :smile:
her page is @dentaliya, @budsstok also has a few tiktoks on their page :smile:

PRSOM greatly appreciated!!!
Original post by gankaku
Hi all!
I thought I would create this blog to give people a realistic idea of what freshers at UoB is like :smile: I also think it would be a nice thing to look back on in a few years time.

Backstory

I studied Maths, Biology, Chemistry, and Welsh Baccalaureate at my secondary school's sixth form. I applied to Birmingham, Cardiff, Bath, UCL and KCL for Biomedical Science with predicted grades of A*AAA. I received offers from all five universities and after much deliberation decided to firm Birmingham and insure Cardiff (my home uni). I received my results this summer and obtained A*A*A*A with the A being in Chemistry! I was super shocked by this as after the exams I definitely thought an A* was out of the question in maths. I've had a tough couple of years with a lot of things going wrong in my life so I am just proud to have made it through both my GCSE and A-Level exams.

Why Biomed?

Throughout school I have always loved learning about Human Biology (mostly thanks to having a great Biology teacher from Year 9 all the way until Year 13). In my GCSE years my goal was to apply to medicine. Although I believe I would love the course, I don't think the career of being a Doctor is best suited to me. I would love to get involved in research after my degree or possible complete the NHS Scientist Training Program, or maybe even become a Biology teacher! Can you tell I have no idea what to do:colondollar: My point is that there are a lot of career pathways to choose from with a biomed degree and I am hoping I will really love the course!

Why UoB?

I fell in love with the campus on the open day and during the offer holder day I met some lovely people who will potentially be joining me on the course! It's also not too far from home (2 hrs) but it's close enough to pop back the odd weekend if I wanted. The course seems great and with it being part of the Medical School the lecturers are a mixture of clinicians and scientists allowing for a diverse range of expertise in the topic areas. UoB also has a reputation for having a great student life with a balance of work and play and some great sports teams I would love to get involved in!

Try out as many sports as possible and pick my favourite to do alongside Karate which I have already been doing for years. (I've been thinking of trying Kickboxing, Muay Thai, Football and Basketball)

Make new friends! I want to be open to anything in Fresher's and say yes to as many things as possible.

Explore the city and campus, find new places to visit, find my fav food spots, find study spots etc.

Get involved in Uni life: go to freshers fair, go to events organised by hall reps, get to know flatmates, go out clubbing etc.

Survive my first week being fully independent (hopefully without burning the kitchen down or shrinking my clothes)

Gain as much experience as possible to bulk out my CV. I will take up any opportunity presented to me as long as it doesn't interfere with my academics or social life too much.

Packing List

I will update this with my packing list to help out any other freshers moving to uni this year or in the future!

Final bits of shopping.

Find my other two flatmates and get to know them (already managed to find two in groupchats).

I will update regularly with how I am feeling about moving (my emotions are all over the place right now), how move in day goes, any activities I get involved in and my first day of lectures!

Any questions let me know and I will try my best to answer them. Hope you all enjoy this blog.

This is awesome, great start! looking forward to seeing more about what you get up to
Original post by gankaku
Hi all!

Backstory

Why Biomed?

Why UoB?

Packing List

Final bits of shopping.

Hey! how are you getting on? not much longer to go! :smile:
Reply 10
Ayy congrats on getting superb A Level grades!!! How is university going?
Well done on your results! They're absolutely amazing! Very excited to hear about what you get up to this year :smile:
Hey! Congrats on your place at University!

Seems like you're prepared and made a plan for what you want to do so far, seems like a good mind-set to start off with.

I've just started this week and made sure to attend events during Fresher's Week to make some friends and it's seemed to work, so I hope the same works for you!

Good luck for your first week and I look forward to seeing how it goes.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending