The Student Room Group

Official: University of Birmingham A100 2023 Entry Applicant and Offer Holder thread

Welcome to the Birmingham A100 2023 Entry Discussion.

Birmingham A100 2022 thread: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7079483

For general information click: https://www.birmingham.ac.uk/undergr.../medicine.aspx

For entry requirements click: https://www.birmingham.ac.uk/schools...programme.aspx

General TSR rules:
(1) Please don't ask for, advertise or mention group chats.
(2) Please don't ask for or post interview questions.
(3) Please don't offer to buy and sell items.

Good luck!

Post originally created by ecolier.
(edited 1 year ago)

Scroll to see replies

Hi does anyone know what the lowest ucat score a graduate who got an interview had last year? I can see the lowest ucat an international had for last year, is the grad ucat cut-off the same as internationals? Thanks:biggrin:
would a band 3 disadvantage me post interview?
Reply 3
My score for Birmingham is likely to be 9.1. Is it a safe score to secure the interview? They consider SJT band during the interview - would B2 be too risky?

Score: 4.5 + 4 + 0.6 = 9.1
GCSE: 7x 4 = 28 (scaled score = 4.5)
UCAT 10th decile: 4 (2022 cut off 2860+ , I got 2960 B2)
Contextual: 0.6

It looks like they consider VR (my VR score is only 580). Any red flags?

If this ranking does not allow us to identify an exact cut-off, we will rank applicants with the same score according to their UCAT results (focusing primarily on the score for Verbal Reasoning).
Reply 4
Original post by Zay17
My score for Birmingham is likely to be 9.1. Is it a safe score to secure the interview? They consider SJT band during the interview - would B2 be too risky?

If this ranking does not allow us to identify an exact cut-off, we will rank applicants with the same score according to their UCAT results (focusing primarily on the score for Verbal Reasoning).

What was the 2022 cut-off score?
Reply 5
Original post by Zay17

Recheck your scoring, as GCSEs are scored out of 24 (although still the same scaled!)
That score will be fine, and you are not goi g to end up in a tiebreaker pre-interview.

They do use SJT at interview and state how in the website - a B2 is unlikely to be a dealbreaker
Reply 6
Original post by Zay17
What was the 2022 cut-off score?

Around 7.6. Some with this score got an interview and some didn’t. However, that is not directly relatable to this year as they have changed their weightings
Reply 7
Original post by GANFYD
Recheck your scoring, as GCSEs are scored out of 24 (although still the same scaled!)
That score will be fine, and you are not goi g to end up in a tiebreaker pre-interview.

They do use SJT at interview and state how in the website - a B2 is unlikely to be a dealbreaker

I got 24 for GCSE score so scaled it to 4.5
Hi. How likely would I be to get an interview with a score of 8.656 (out of 10)? I also have B1 SJT and quite a high VR (650).

Score:
GCSE's = 4.5 (24/24)
UCAT = 3.556 (out of 4) - 9th decile (2022 cut-off = 2740) <--- my UCAT was 2790 B1
Contextual = 0.6

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Thank you,
Poppy
Reply 9
Happy Birthday. @GANFYD
Appreciate your help.
Original post by Zay17
Happy Birthday. @GANFYD
Appreciate your help.

Thank you 😊
Original post by Zay17
I got 24 for GCSE score so scaled it to 4.5

Yes, but your post says 28 for GCSEs, and it is only out of 24 😊
Reply 12
Original post by GANFYD
Yes, but your post says 28 for GCSEs, and it is only out of 24 😊

Do you know the 2022 cut-off for UEA?
I am considering UEA as a safe option with 2960 B2.

UCAT => 50% (interview + SJT) + 50% UCAT ===> I concluded from reading several threads but couldn't find the exact weightage on the website.
Original post by Zay17
Do you know the 2022 cut-off for UEA?
I am considering UEA as a safe option with 2960 B2.

UCAT => 50% (interview + SJT) + 50% UCAT ===> I concluded from reading several threads but couldn't find the exact weightage on the website.

Around 2620 for UEA
Original post by GANFYD

hey, would a band 3 disadvantage me post interview?
Original post by MedApplicantttt

this is for birmingham
Original post by MedApplicantttt

Yes, they use it as a virtual MMI station. The scoring is in their website
Hi. How likely would I be to get an interview with a score of 8.656 (out of 10)? I also have B1 SJT and quite a high VR (650).

Score:
GCSE's = 4.5 (24/24)
UCAT = 3.556 (out of 4) - 9th decile (2022 cut-off = 2740) <--- my UCAT was 2790 B1
Contextual = 0.6

Thank you,
Poppy
Original post by poppyw09

Score:
GCSE's = 4.5 (24/24)
Contextual = 0.6

Thank you,
Poppy

You should be fine, as the max a non-contextual applicant can score is 8.5, so if it goes above that, Birmingham will not interview any non-contextual applicants, and the fact they keep reducing their contextual weighting suggests that is not the case.
Oh wait so sorry but I’ve just realised that you only get quintile contextual points if your school is contextual. Can I double check that’s correct?

If that is the case my score would actually be 8.056 (4.5 for GCSE’s and 3.556 for UCAT).

Still worth applying? Would this score still be pretty likely to get me an interview?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending