The Student Room Group

Anyone been on Benzodiazepines for anxiety?

I've been on Fluoxetine for about two months, starting off with 20mg (which I was on for about 5 weeks). That was increased to 40mg after a terrible few days and I've been on it ever since.

However, it feels like the ssris are losing their efficacy. My anxiety level is continuously shooting up and I just can't seem to deal with day to day activities, even leaving the house is starting to induce anxious thoughts (which I end up catastrophising).

I'm tempted to ask my doctor to put me on benzo's but I've read up on them and they appear not to be recommended due to possibility of addiction and other side-effects. Just wondering if anyone has any experience with them?
Reply 1
I think the general consensus is that benzos are best left for times of emergency, or one-off extra stressful situations (e.g. you're terrified of flying but need to get on a plane). They do work really well for a lot of people, but as you know they're highly addictive and even if you start off on a really low dose and it works fine, you might soon find you need higher and higher dosages in order to get the same effect. Personally diazepam does nothing for me, not even a placebo effect, but lorazepam sends me off into a lovely peaceful sleep (I had medication-induced insomnia, sleeping pills were doing nothing for me so I was prescribed a two week course of lorazepam. Even then I didn't take it every day because of the fear of becoming dependent on it).

Have you looked into beta blockers at all? They're non-addictive, relatively low on side-effects, and can help get rid of the physical symptoms of anxiety (which can then help you cope better with the mental ones). You could also ask your doctor about switching your antidepressants, as there are plenty of classes other than SSRIs you could try, some of which may be more suitable for you.

Another possibility is trying therapy - there tend to be long waiting lists (meaning the sooner you get on one, the better!), however you can sometimes get it quicker through uni or charities, and there's also a free online CBT program called Moodgym specifically developed for those suffering from depression or anxiety.
Reply 2
Original post by superwolf

Have you looked into beta blockers at all? They're non-addictive, relatively low on side-effects, and can help get rid of the physical symptoms of anxiety (which can then help you cope better with the mental ones). You could also ask your doctor about switching your antidepressants, as there are plenty of classes other than SSRIs you could try, some of which may be more suitable for you.

I've got a follow-up appointment with my GP on the 2nd so I'll speak to him about the possibilities.

Another possibility is trying therapy - there tend to be long waiting lists (meaning the sooner you get on one, the better!), however you can sometimes get it quicker through uni or charities, and there's also a free online CBT program called Moodgym specifically developed for those suffering from depression or anxiety.

I've been seeing a counselor, who had me on a food diary which worked well for a while but I relapsed bad (7 day bulimic episode). With regards to the anxiety stuff, she gave me worksheets to work on but they draw up too many negative emotions and I end up putting them off. I tried psychotherapy and had 4 sessions but they didn't really work (possibility because I already wrote them off before trying) and they weren't something I could really get my hands into so to speak. I've heard of exposure therapy and may speak to my counselor about it.

Thank you so much for your post and I will check out the link.
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous
I've got a follow-up appointment with my GP on the 2nd so I'll speak to him about the possibilities.

I've been seeing a counselor, who had me on a food diary which worked well for a while but I relapsed bad (7 day bulimic episode). With regards to the anxiety stuff, she gave me worksheets to work on but they draw up too many negative emotions and I end up putting them off. I tried psychotherapy and had 4 sessions but they didn't really work (possibility because I already wrote them off before trying) and they weren't something I could really get my hands into so to speak. I've heard of exposure therapy and may speak to my counselor about it.

Thank you so much for your post and I will check out the link.

:yy: Hope the appointment goes well. :smile:

I'd try and start up the food diary again if it helped before, and I wouldn't be too disheartened by the relapse - think of it like giving up smoking: lots of people will try and have a bit of success, relapse, succeed for longer and then eventually quit altogether. The relapses aren't something to get upset by, they're a necessary part of the process of slowly getting better. :smile:

Also, with the worksheets (assuming you would like to give them a go) try doing them in a positive atmosphere, e.g. outside in the sunshine, or with a supportive friend present, soothing music playing etc. Part of getting better is often learning productive ways of coping with these negative emotions, rather than running away from them or using negative coping mechanisms. So (and this may take a while) try and work out ways you can deal with them a little bit at a time, giving yourself lots of rewards and pats on the back.

No problem, and I'd also like to recommend the TSR Mental Health Support Society as an excellent source of support and advice - I post in there regularly and it's really helped me come to terms with my problems.
Original post by Anonymous
I've been on Fluoxetine for about two months, starting off with 20mg (which I was on for about 5 weeks). That was increased to 40mg after a terrible few days and I've been on it ever since.

However, it feels like the ssris are losing their efficacy. My anxiety level is continuously shooting up and I just can't seem to deal with day to day activities, even leaving the house is starting to induce anxious thoughts (which I end up catastrophising).

I'm tempted to ask my doctor to put me on benzo's but I've read up on them and they appear not to be recommended due to possibility of addiction and other side-effects. Just wondering if anyone has any experience with them?

There are other alternatives to benzos for anxiety that are not addictive and give good results. I've been on benzos in the past myself and while they are OK they are pretty short acting and don't last out the whole of day which is what I need.

I was put on Pregabalin the other day and it had been brilliant. No anxiety in a situation which in the past would have had me trying to run out of the back door. Speak to your doctor though. They'll know best.
Reply 5
I currently take diazepam (between 2mg-6mg) on an as needed basis and would recommend it, but it doesn't completely take away anxiety in my case. I'm still extremely anxious in some situations, however I haven't had one panic attack when I've taken it.

It's worth knowing that it isn't a long-term solution. It's addictive, and tolerance can build quite quickly. Doctors only tend to prescribe it in small amounts as well, like for a couple of weeks/a month. You'll also have quite a difficult time finding a doctor who will prescribe it. Mine has only prescribed it because I've tried 3 different anti-depressants, current one I've been taking for 10 weeks with no improvement on depression or anxiety, a beta-blocker, CBT and a 3 month exercise referral program. My GP has pretty much run out of ideas, so I'm on the waiting list to for a proper psychiatric assessment.

It's good stuff though. It just helps to keep me functioning until then, it reduces my anxiety, tones down my hypomania, gets rid of insomnia, and although it doesn't take away my suicidal thoughts if I take more than 10mg in one go, I can't physically get up off the sofa to harm myself haha.

If I were you I'd go back to your GP or see a different GP, and explain the situation. It might just be a case of changing your anti-depressant.

Good luck x
Reply 6
Sorry to hear about your situation. Anxiety is horrible and I hope you get some relief from it soon.

I've taken diazepam and found it helpful for anxiety. I was only prescribed a little though, because of the issues with addiction.

It's more likely they will increase/change the antidepressant you're on and/or prescribe you beta-blockers. You can't have beta-blockers if you have asthma though (I wish I could have them!)

Quick Reply

Latest