The Student Room Group

Fleas in Rented House

Hi, just wondering whether my landlady should be doing more in my situation.

Basically, we moved our stuff into our house on 1.9.13, and a cat kept trying to get in. There was a cupboard full of cat food (the house was also filthy - crumbs and mouldy food left despite it 'being cleaned when previous tenants left'). There were also paw marks on the windows, and a LOT of cat hair everything, but mainly in my bedroom.

I then moved into the house on 27.913. Have hoovered 10+ times and my carpet is still embedded with cat hair, and the cat is still trying to get in the house. My housemate is allergic to cats and has had multiple attacks since moving in.

Since moving in I have noticed black specks on my bedding (not insects though - flea dirt maybe?) and I am now covered in bites, including an infected on on my ankle.

I have hoovered my room and sprayed it, and hooved and sprayed my bedding and washed as many clothes as I can, but I don't think that's going to completely get fit of them as there are holes in the carpet, I can't physically move the furniture to get underneath, and I have coats etc that are dry clean only.

Is my landlady liable for the deep clean I think the room/house is going to need, or are we? Because we can't afford this, but this is obviously dangerous to our health!
Also, I'm not sure if our deposit has been protected, which makes me doubly nervous!
Reply 2
Black specs on bedding and a skin reaction sounds to me like black mould, which is a potentially toxic fungal growth that can cause skin disorders, respiratory problems and depression of the nervous system.

I'd be asking to see your landlord as soon as is practical and tbh I'd not want to hang around there, it sounds filthy and unhealthy and in my experience landlords who allow their properties to be rented in this state are rarely fast to sort them out. Get out if you still can and find somewhere else.
Speak to your union - there will probably be a student housing officer. Thinking about calling environmental health to come take a look.
Original post by ninegrandstudent
Hi, just wondering whether my landlady should be doing more in my situation.

Basically, we moved our stuff into our house on 1.9.13, and a cat kept trying to get in. There was a cupboard full of cat food (the house was also filthy - crumbs and mouldy food left despite it 'being cleaned when previous tenants left'). There were also paw marks on the windows, and a LOT of cat hair everything, but mainly in my bedroom.

I then moved into the house on 27.913. Have hoovered 10+ times and my carpet is still embedded with cat hair, and the cat is still trying to get in the house. My housemate is allergic to cats and has had multiple attacks since moving in.

Since moving in I have noticed black specks on my bedding (not insects though - flea dirt maybe?) and I am now covered in bites, including an infected on on my ankle.

I have hoovered my room and sprayed it, and hooved and sprayed my bedding and washed as many clothes as I can, but I don't think that's going to completely get fit of them as there are holes in the carpet, I can't physically move the furniture to get underneath, and I have coats etc that are dry clean only.

Is my landlady liable for the deep clean I think the room/house is going to need, or are we? Because we can't afford this, but this is obviously dangerous to our health!

Check your tenancy agreement - there should be something about dealing with infestations. In the meantime get some INDOREX spray - available at petstores or a vet. The specks do sound like fleas to me. Keep the receipt and make sure you give it to the landlady.
Also take photos - my daughter moved into a house that was infested with ants - photos soon brought round the environmental health people.
Reply 6
If the specs were fleas, they would be moving. They could also be eggs of course. I suspect either mold spores or bed bug droppings.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by james1211
If the specs were fleas, they would be moving. They could also be eggs of course. I suspect either mold spores or bed bug droppings.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sadly no - they could be flea dirt - ie faecal matter. ( Believe me I have been in this situation - I was so bitten I looked like I had measles)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending