The Student Room Group

Should I give up my social housing and go private?

I feel like I'm in a catch 22 situation and could really do with some advice.

I know there's probably information on here that isn't necessary but I want to explain the whole situation.

My mother was a social housing tenant for most of her adult life, last year she sadly passed away. So I wouldn't become homeless, I called up her housing association and asked if I could take over the tenancy.

The housing association were so helpful, they explained that I could, but I have to apply for it through something called successions rights, I did and was successful.

Originally, when my mother was alive it was me and my sibling living with my mother, we have another sibling but they moved out a long time ago.

My sibling and I had a big falling out as I was the one working, cooking, cleaning, going to college and paying the bills, all my sibling did was go to college hang out with friends (with my money) then come home.

Eventually it got to the point where it got to much, I snapped and now they're living with my other sibling permanently. Because of this it created a huge family fall out, both my mothers side of the family have disowned me, my father (whom I never met) and his family have disowned me.

I had to pay just over £150.00 to change my locks to my front and back door as they wouldn't give me the spare keys back. Recently I found out my sister informed my former best friend of the situation and my former best friend told her information about stuff that I didn't want getting out as I told her in confidence.

I found out that all the neighbours are keeping "a close eye" on me, phoning my sibling if I leave the house, calling her if I spend my money on a takeaway.

I decided to phone up the housing to let them know my sister had moved out and I also explained the current situation with what's going on and the neighbours. The housing association explained to me that there's nothing they could do on their end and advice to make an online report to 101.

They also said, I'm legally allowed to stay in my property even if I have two empty bedrooms. I made a report to 101 and spoke to a female sergeant, she explained that this is currently a civil situation so they can't do anything but gave me lots of advice on what to do like install CCTV which I'm doing next week.

A month after my mothers death my sibling did announce they wanted to move into my siblings house but not for another 18 months or so but the sibling was okay with it. So I decided to join home swapper which is a service for social housing tenants to do a mutual exchange.

Now, I did find a one bedroom property to swap with me and we filled out the forms however an issue occurred. I was in rent arrears, they were trying to contact me and it's completely my fault as I forgot to give them my new phone number (I changed it as dad found it, I'm guessing he got it of a family member on his side).

I also didn't have an online account, I am slowly paying it off. I was informed by my housing association I can't moved till it's completely cleared. However, I also been told downsizing can take up to 10 years.

I have a medical condition and I'm currently on PIP and universal credit, I'll be starting university in September, I'm wondering if it's best to give up my social housing tenancy for privately rented accommodation (Student accommodation wouldn't be best for me as I do have two pets, both cats).

I would really appreciate any advice as I'm going to be honest I feel scared living in my own home. The issue is, because of my mother's depression she didn't bother decorating her house, I still have to paint all the rooms in the house and lay down new flooring as it's 13 years old.
that's terrifying im so sorry :frown: can you get police involved for stalking from the neighbours or anything?
Reply 2
How much are your current rental arrears at the moment?
Do your local authority permit social housing tenants to run sideline businesses from their social housing accomodation or rent out their spare rooms as short term storage space?

The private rental market is very tough for single people with multiple pets and a history of rental arrears- particularly when receiving UC.
Best to steer clear of private sector renting until you are off UC, have accumulated a few thousands in savings, have a good credit history and have not been in any type of arrears for at least 3 years.
Thanks for both comments. My rent arrears are £1,000.00 I'm allowed lodgers but I have to inform my housing association. I've checked my credit score is 584. I thought that the police could do something about stalking but in their eyes it's a civil dispute.
Reply 4
Original post by student200121
Thanks for both comments. My rent arrears are £1,000.00 I'm allowed lodgers but I have to inform my housing association. I've checked my credit score is 584. I thought that the police could do something about stalking but in their eyes it's a civil dispute.

Is your local neighbourhood very popular with lodgers or tourists visiting for longer than a few weeks?
If so, arrange to rent out a spare room to a lodger for at least 3 months asking for at least 2 months rent in advance plus the usual deposit and inform your housing association the day that the lodger moves in.
Maybe consider renting one empty room for short term storage purposes only as an additional source of income.

Stalking is a very serious criminal offence with a maximum possible jail punishment of 10 years.
Particularly when the stalker/s conduct demonstrates a fixation, is obsessive, unwanted, causes the victim to experience a fear of violence/serious distress and results in substantial adverse effect on usual day-to-day activities.

Don't stop making 101 reports online every time you are stalked or get harassed by the neighbours.
The police may have mistakenly viewed the stalking report as a complaint against your neighbours for gossiping about you to your estranged sibling. Or view your sibling for asking neighbours for information as a family dispute that does not involve any criminality nor harassment.

Unfortunately the laws on stalking can frequently be misunderstood by some police officers with limited investigation experience and training or overlooked by more experienced officers with very heavy workloads involving reports of violent offences & crimes targeting young children.
Particularly when the stalking report does not include any violence, threats that involve either the use of derogatory terms connected with sexual orientation or ethnicity nor anything that would be illegal if carried out.
The police do have extensive powers to investigate stalking allegations and pass on their findings to the CPS to decide whether criminal charges can be brought.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending