The Student Room Group

Im not sure how renting works- can someone explain please?

I am doing an apprenticeship and must move out to make it easier for me. I don't mind renting out on my own, but same time might share with another new apprentice who is also looking for a place, so we decided to share.
I looked at places but can't seem to understand how it works- for instance, let’s say me and another apprentice moving into a shared house or flat. let’s say it’s £900pcm, is that from each person or would it be split into £450 from each of us?
Reply 1
I am doing an apprenticeship and must move out to make it easier for me. I don't mind renting out on my own, but same time might share with another new apprentice who is also looking for a place, so we decided to share.
I looked at places but can't seem to understand how it works- for instance, let’s say me and another apprentice moving into a shared house or flat. let’s say it’s £900pcm, is that from each person or would it be split into £450 from each of us?
Reply 2
Reply 3
usually if its on a place like right move or something then yeah I would assume that's the rent for one person, you should ask the landlord or agency if there is any confusion though.
Reply 4
Will depend on the specific wording of each listing. Though 900 per person is IMO pricey unless you're in London.

Sharing a private rented flat would probably involve sharing a double bed so make sure that's really what you want to do.

Shared house could either be let to a group of students who know each other or room by room to random tenants picked by the landlord.
Original post by sullyZs1

yes that's right. You would split all rent, bills etc between you.
Reply 6
Some adverts post a per person but should make that clear.
Others post the total price.
Be aware of the terms of the tenancy.

Your chosen friend may drop out, or decide that they want to live somewhere else.
Ensure that you understand if you are liable for all bills/rent in lieu of the friend who bails.

Sometimes you get a room in a house with shared kitchen /bath so effectively a bunch of strangers. They could be a bunch of weirdos or become lifelong friends.
Reply 7
okay thank you
Original post by Spelunker
usually if its on a place like right move or something then yeah I would assume that's the rent for one person, you should ask the landlord or agency if there is any confusion though.
Reply 8
Original post by Joinedup
Will depend on the specific wording of each listing. Though 900 per person is IMO pricey unless you're in London.

Sharing a private rented flat would probably involve sharing a double bed so make sure that's really what you want to do.

Shared house could either be let to a group of students who know each other or room by room to random tenants picked by the landlord.

yeah I'm thinking of a shared house but would me and my mate have to do it separately or can we both get it and split that?
Reply 9
thank you!!
Original post by Kutie Karen
yes that's right. You would split all rent, bills etc between you.
Reply 10
Original post by sullyZs1
yeah I'm thinking of a shared house but would me and my mate have to do it separately or can we both get it and split that?

They could do it either way, if it's not clear in the advert you'll have to ask.

If its per person and your mate drops out the landlord would stick someone in. If its per house you'd be responsible for the full rent and it'd be on you to find a replacement tenant (or move out into a single person flat)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending