The Student Room Group

Can i leave my things at uni accomodations during summer?

I'm currently planning for uni and was wondering whether or not I should get a private accommodation or a uni accommodation, as an international student i cant carry my things between countries every break and wanted to know if the accommodations allowed me to leave my things there. I've chosen Kingston, Bristol, Plymouth, Cardiff Met, and Anglia Ruskin. I don't mind roomates/homesharing and I apologize if I have bad English as it isn't my first language
(edited 3 months ago)
Hey @matobi,

Great to hear you're considering studying at Kingston! Although I can't vouch for your other universities, I know most KU international students who stay in halls of residence in their first year either put their belongings in storage once their contract ends (there are a few local storage firms who usually offer smaller, discounted lockers to students) or have already moved into a houseshare with friends prior to their second year starting (maybe around May/June-time) and just stored it in their rooms.

As far as I'm aware, most universities' halls of residence don't require students to move their belongings during the winter break: it's just the summer period you have to prepare for. If you don't mind housesharing, halls of residence in your first year and then a houseshare in your second might be ideal - private accommodation can sometimes get a bit expensive, but it's really up to you if it's worth the ease of not having to organise any other options.

Eve (Kingston Rep).
Original post by matobi
I'm currently planning for uni and was wondering whether or not I should get a private accommodation or a uni accommodation, as an international student i cant carry my things between countries every break and wanted to know if the accommodations allowed me to leave my thing there. I've chosen Kingston, Bristol, Plymouth, Cardiff Met, and Anglia Ruskin. I don't mind roomates/homesharing and I apologize if I have bad English as it isn't my first language

Hi @matobi

If your contract is 44 weeks, which I believe is one of the shortest lengths, you will have to move your things out over the summer.

Most international students and students with placement choose to have a more extended contract. Usually, the longer contract is around 51 weeks. In this case, you will be able to leave your belongings in the UK, but you may just have to move them to a different room for your second year.

In my experience, in my 1st year, my contract for halls of residence was 41 weeks (Sept-July). But for my second year, I decided to move into a shared house. I planned that my tenancy/contract would start in July when my previous tenancy would end. All I had to do was move my things from one accommodation to another.

Most private accommodations (such as shared houses) give you 52 weeks. So I have lived in this house for two consecutive years now, which has been really useful and stress free!

I hope some of this is helpful. Please let me know if you want me to go into more detail or explain something!

Anastasia,

BCU Student Rep.
Original post by matobi
I'm currently planning for uni and was wondering whether or not I should get a private accommodation or a uni accommodation, as an international student i cant carry my things between countries every break and wanted to know if the accommodations allowed me to leave my things there. I've chosen Kingston, Bristol, Plymouth, Cardiff Met, and Anglia Ruskin. I don't mind roomates/homesharing and I apologize if I have bad English as it isn't my first language

Hi there,

Thank you for considering Cardiff Met as one of your choices.

We do offer 40-week and 42-week accommodation contracts, depends on what accommodation you choose. You can find more information here: Accommodation at Cardiff Metropolitan University - Life in Halls - Living in Cardiff.

You do not need to move your things in winter and Easter breaks, as you will still be in the accommodation contract during these periods. However, when your contract ends, then you will have to move out from your accommodation.

International students will be guaranteed a room in one of our halls. But if you wish to stay in a private accommodation please speak to the accommodation team and they will assist you further.

The hall application is opened now, please make an application via the online application form, and the accommodation team will be able to assess it for you.

For international enquiries, please see here for more information: Practical Information Accommodation, Arrival & Visas. You can contact [email protected] and they will be able to advise you on this matter.

Should you have any questions, please contact the accommodation team via [email protected] or call them on 029 2041 6188.

For general enquiries, please drop us an email via [email protected].

Cardiff Met Admissions.😄
Original post by matobi

Hi there,
It will depend on your contract length. So if you book say a 44-week tenancy then this will end during the summer and you will be expected to move your belongings out at the end of your tenancy. However, some private accommodations may offer summer storage, often if you have rebooked another tenancy for the following year. Alternatively, you could arrange for somewhere to store your belongings while you're gone or opt for a 51-week tenancy whereby you can leave your belongings in your room.

Hope this helps!

-Nicky
Original post by matobi

Hi @matobi
I am glad you are considering ARU. This response is in regards to the Cambridge Campus. it depends on your chosen accommodation and your contract. Some students are extending their contract over the summer so they can leave their stuff and come back to the same room in September but this comes with extra costs which will differ between different accommodations. For private accommodation, you can do the same but again it depends on your contract and your willingness to pay extra costs. I can't tell you if private accommodation or uni accommodation is better but I will tell you a bit more about them. Uni accommodation for ARU is in very very high demand. if you want to get a room you need to book months in advance so I suggest you start looking now. With uni accommodation, you are surrounded by other students and that can create a greater sense of community but keep in mind most accommodations use shared facilities such as kitchens and sometimes bathrooms. For private accommodation, you may find other students living there but there is no guarantee. It is up to which factors you want to prioritise in choosing. Whatever you do choose make sure you book accommodations early. Good luck! let me know if you have anymore questions
Sali- ARU Digitial Student Ambassador

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending