The Student Room Group

Thinking about doing nursing but not sure if i can...any replies appreciated! :)

I have got 8 A-C GCSE's including English and Maths.
Then I went on to do a Travel and Tourism level 3 BTEC... Which lead to studying a foundation degree in Tourism Management at university, I had little interest in this and dropped out in my finial year as I knew I was just going to fail my re-sits and I was under a lot of pressure from else what at the time...
Since I've been working as a receptionist, I can't really see much career progression for myself and I've been thinking about starting a nurse degree?

I'm 22, 23 in January and I feel I'm a bit old to be starting with 18 year olds.
Also, I'd have to wait nearly a year (September) to actually get enrolled on a course... Or is there any home learning courses which I could start straight away?

I like the practical side when you work in a hospital more than anything! What kind of hospital do most people get placed at and will undergrad nurses work alongside other undergrads from different fields such as doctors etc?

It's certainly a subject your guaranteed to get to get a job in and nursing is a respected good job.

Oh...and one more thing! When about's do undergraduate nurses start there work placement?

Thanks.
Reply 1
Nursing has lots of mature students but it sounds like you need to do a bit more research and get some work experience. What branch of nursing do you want to do? What science background do you have? You may need to consider A levels or an access course.

At Southampton they had projects where you worked with other healthcare students but it wasn't in the workplace environment and didn't achieve much apart from re-enforcing stereotypes. I don't know how it works elsewhere.
Reply 2
Original post by daisy136
I have got 8 A-C GCSE's including English and Maths.
Then I went on to do a Travel and Tourism level 3 BTEC... Which lead to studying a foundation degree in Tourism Management at university, I had little interest in this and dropped out in my finial year as I knew I was just going to fail my re-sits and I was under a lot of pressure from else what at the time...
Since I've been working as a receptionist, I can't really see much career progression for myself and I've been thinking about starting a nurse degree?

I'm 22, 23 in January and I feel I'm a bit old to be starting with 18 year olds.
Also, I'd have to wait nearly a year (September) to actually get enrolled on a course... Or is there any home learning courses which I could start straight away?

I like the practical side when you work in a hospital more than anything! What kind of hospital do most people get placed at and will undergrad nurses work alongside other undergrads from different fields such as doctors etc?

It's certainly a subject your guaranteed to get to get a job in and nursing is a respected good job.

Oh...and one more thing! When about's do undergraduate nurses start there work placement?

Thanks.

Nursing has lots of mature students but it sounds like you need to do a bit more research and get some work experience. What branch of nursing do you want to do? What science background do you have? You may need to consider A levels or an access course.

At Southampton they had projects where you worked with other healthcare students but it wasn't in the workplace environment and didn't achieve much apart from re-enforcing stereotypes. I don't know how it works elsewhere.
Reply 3
the average age of student nurses is about 28/29 at the mo, so you won't be starting with a load of 18 year olds

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending