The Student Room Group

Midwifery

if I have to resist my GCSEs will it affect me being able to do midwifery?
Original post by N478
if I have to resist my GCSEs will it affect me being able to do midwifery?

No

Just make sure you get the required university entry requirements for midwifery and then do your best to get through the interview process as it's very highly competitive degree with limited amount of places available at every university in the UK.

Alternatively you should do something like children nursing or adult nursing rather doing no nursing course.
Reply 2
ok thank you so much I’ve just left year 11 and I’m already looking at person statements to get into uni because I know how competitive it is.

Original post by Littleemma98
No

Just make sure you get the required university entry requirements for midwifery and then do your best to get through the interview process as it's very highly competitive degree with limited amount of places available at every university in the UK.

Alternatively you should do something like children nursing or adult nursing rather doing no nursing course.
Original post by N478
ok thank you so much I’ve just left year 11 and I’m already looking at person statements to get into uni because I know how competitive it is.

You are welcome 🤗🤗

Yes your personal statement will have to be very good to give yourself a good chance of getting a interview and then hopefully onto university X
Midwifery is the hardest course to get into as you already know.
Reply 4
Original post by Littleemma98
You are welcome 🤗🤗

Yes your personal statement will have to be very good to give yourself a good chance of getting a interview and then hopefully onto university X
Midwifery is the hardest course to get into as you already know.

i never knew it was hard to get into midwifery,
im at risk of retaking yr12 due to me failing chemistry, when i repeat im going to be taking bio psychology and sociology, would this reduce my chances of getting in? what if i get something like A*AB ? when the entry requirements r ABB
Original post by madina008
im at risk of retaking yr12 due to me failing chemistry, when i repeat im going to be taking bio psychology and sociology, would this reduce my chances of getting in? what if i get something like A*AB ? when the entry requirements r ABB

Hi madina

Midwifery is very highly competitive to get into because of the very limited numbers of students that universities take in each year. Training is very difficult but if you are successful in getting a place at university then your hard work over the 3 years of the degree will be worth it.

Majority of universities will ask for Biology as the science subject.

Others will only ask for a science subject ( which could be chemistry or biology).

You should perhaps look at all of your chosen universities to see what there entry requirements are for midwifery degree courses. You have nothing to lose if you apply as you will need to give a brilliant personal statement and if you get a interview then make sure that you do well with it.

This is generally the minimum requirement...
What qualifications do you need to study midwifery in the UK.......
You'll usually need:

5 GCSEs at grades 9 to 4 (A* to C), or equivalent, including English, maths and science.

2 or 3 A levels, including a science, or a level 3 diploma or access to higher education in health, science or nursing.

a degree in a relevant subject for postgraduate study.

Hope this helps you 😊😊😊
Good luck with your application ☺️

A NHS dual registered adult nurse and midwife
I did the midwifery 18 months top-up degree course as was already a registered adult nurse.

Hi

Perhaps I should have explained it more in my reply to person in reply 1 months ago as that way others would have been able to see why's it more difficult to get into midwifery.

Person in reply 5 to you seem to explain it more to you.

Good luck with hopefully your application.
Reply 7
Original post by Allyson2020
Hi madina

Midwifery is very highly competitive to get into because of the very limited numbers of students that universities take in each year. Training is very difficult but if you are successful in getting a place at university then your hard work over the 3 years of the degree will be worth it.

Majority of universities will ask for Biology as the science subject.

Others will only ask for a science subject ( which could be chemistry or biology).

You should perhaps look at all of your chosen universities to see what there entry requirements are for midwifery degree courses. You have nothing to lose if you apply as you will need to give a brilliant personal statement and if you get a interview then make sure that you do well with it.

This is generally the minimum requirement...
What qualifications do you need to study midwifery in the UK.......
You'll usually need:

5 GCSEs at grades 9 to 4 (A* to C), or equivalent, including English, maths and science.

2 or 3 A levels, including a science, or a level 3 diploma or access to higher education in health, science or nursing.

a degree in a relevant subject for postgraduate study.

Hope this helps you 😊😊😊
Good luck with your application ☺️

A NHS dual registered adult nurse and midwife
I did the midwifery 18 months top-up degree course as was already a registered adult nurse.

heyy thank u for ur feedback
i will be taking a science again, im js scared that they wont accept me because i repeated a year, i know for sure that kings doesnt let in repeats unless theres a medical reason but city hasnt rlly specifically said anything abt retakes being a bad thing, so im rlllyyy confused now lol
do u reckon they will not accept me js bcuz i repeated the year regardless of getting good grades?
i will be taking a science again, im js scared that they wont accept me because i repeated a year, i know for sure that kings doesnt let in repeats unless theres a medical reason but city hasnt rlly specifically said anything abt retakes being a bad thing, so im rlllyyy confused now lol
do u reckon they will not accept me js bcuz i repeated the year regardless of getting good grades?

Repeating a year shouldn't affect your uni applications if you are taking all three A levels in the same year. King's policy refers to retakes - you won't be retaking your exams. It might be worth emailing King's to see if you would be considered equally if you are starting year 12 again with different A levels.

Hi madina
You are so welcome 🤗🤗

Don't be scared of anything ok. You won't be judged on having to repeat a year because you won't be alone in doing this because others has done it previously and they will still be doing now.

You'll be accepted with a university providing you meeting there entry requirements for midwifery.
Make sure you pass the necessary science subject that you require as every university has there own requirements. Definitely check the universities for what is actually required ( what science subject will they accept for the midwifery course) and aim for that.

Do you want to go to any other university apart from those you want to go to.
At the end of the day it doesn't matter what university you do your degree at as long as you qualify as a midwife.

That's a good point that the person in reply 6 said about asking king's.

Here's a alternative option for you - if you get a chance to have a interview for midwifery and you do well with it but you don't get a offer, then they might offer an alternative nursing course like adult nursing ( personally if you get that kind of offer i think you should perhaps consider taking it) because you could say no and try again the following year and still get a no and in the meantime you could have been almost there as a qualified adult nurse - you can still work on maternity wards as a adult nurse and you can gain vital experience with this and once you gained a few years experience you can ask if you can do the 18/20 months shortened top-up midwifery degree course as long as they are still offering this ok.
Another alternative option is you can perhaps apply to your local health board maternity for a job as a MCA ( maternity care assistant) as they do everything a midwife do except any births as that's about 18 - 24 months. Then apply for university for midwifery.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending