The Student Room Group

Computer Science Applicants 2014

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by m00c0w
I applied 2 weeks ago, though no offers yet.
1. Oxford
2. UCL
3. Warwick
4. Durham
5. KCL
AS Subjects: Maths, Physics, Chemistry, Computing
AS Grades: AAAA
A2 Subjects: Maths, Further Maths(AS+A2), Physics, Chemistry
A2 Predictions: A(Already got it), A*, A, A*

Just this minute got an offer from Nottingham of AAB and an interview at Imperial in 2 weeks too!
I've not heard anything from any of my Unis (other than the standard "we have recieved your application" emails), which is worrying considering lots of people are getting interview for Imperial :frown:. Hopefully they're just going down a list or something, my GCSEs surely can't hold me back this much
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 42
The fact that people are getting interviews from imperial and I still haven't heard a thing is scary

Posted from TSR Mobile
I got my Nottingham offer yesterday as well, but haven't heard anything from imperial either :frown:(
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 44
Original post by Sparticus515
I've not heard anything from any of my Unis (other than the standard "we have recieved your application" emails), which is worrying considering lots of people are getting interview for Imperial :frown:. Hopefully they're just going down a list or something, my GCSEs surely can't hold me back this much

Original post by outrexian
The fact that people are getting interviews from imperial and I still haven't heard a thing is scary

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by Monotypical
I got my Nottingham offer yesterday as well, but haven't heard anything from imperial either :frown:(

I wouldn't worry too much about Imperial just yet, they get 900 applicants, interview 300 and have 5 interview days (so 60 for each). They have the same offer as Oxbridge so you'd expect a high proportion of those applicants to have applied before the 15th October, and obviously since they only have 60 places in the first interview slot they will have many applicants overflowing into the next one. I don't know what system they use to allocate people, but it's definitely not alphabetical!

@Mono: I got mine at 17:02, what time did you get yours? Reason I ask is because I wonder if UCAS send these offers out in batch or just when they come through.
Got mine at 17:02 as well, I reckon they wait until the 15th deadline then send out those offers in batch.
Did you get your imperial interview as a letter or an email? I'm not at home, so maybe I do have a letter waiting for me at home (I can dream :biggrin:). Anyhow, I saw the figure of 1/3rd on their website too, but I was looking at it on which and according to them, 44% of applicants get offers (so it should be around 50% that get interviews?), which doesn't seem to add up in my books. According to them, that was based on last years figures, so I can only hope that the data on their website is old and outdated, then I might have more of a chance of an interview :wink:
Reply 46
Got mine at 17:02 as well, I reckon they wait until the 15th deadline then send out those offers in batch.
Did you get your imperial interview as a letter or an email? I'm not at home, so maybe I do have a letter waiting for me at home (I can dream :biggrin:). Anyhow, I saw the figure of 1/3rd on their website too, but I was looking at it on which and according to them, 44% of applicants get offers (so it should be around 50% that get interviews?), which doesn't seem to add up in my books. According to them, that was based on last years figures, so I can only hope that the data on their website is old and outdated, then I might have more of a chance of an interview :wink:

I got mine as a letter.

I'd trust the Imperial stats more tbh, they have a stats page that shows you all the admissions stats and its certainly not 44% that get offers! More like 13%
Reply 47
Original post by PrinceyJ
I got mine as a letter.

I'd trust the Imperial stats more tbh, they have a stats page that shows you all the admissions stats and its certainly not 44% that get offers! More like 13%

So has there been an email as well, has your UCAS track updated to say you've got an interview? Or is it just the letter?

Congrats, btw
Reply 48
Original post by outrexian
So has there been an email as well, has your UCAS track updated to say you've got an interview? Or is it just the letter?

Congrats, btw

Just the letter it's the only thing they've sent me haha.

I got mine as a letter.

13%? :redface: Is that what it said on the website as they could have over-offered?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I got mine as a letter.

I would think maybe 13% actually end up being admitted to the department (900 applicants * 13% = 117 places, sounds about right), but I would think they would have to give maybe 250ish offers (that number is purely speculation though) as not everyone will accept the offer (especially if they get many oxbridge applicants) and not everyone that accepts will meet their offer. 44% offer rate still sounds too high to me though, might be not too far off how many they interview. It might have been that last year they got surprisingly few applicants for whatever reason.
Reply 51
Original post by yl95
13%? :redface: Is that what it said on the website as they could have over-offered?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I would think maybe 13% actually end up being admitted to the department (900 applicants * 13% = 117 places, sounds about right), but I would think they would have to give maybe 250ish offers (that number is purely speculation though) as not everyone will accept the offer (especially if they get many oxbridge applicants) and not everyone that accepts will meet their offer. 44% offer rate still sounds too high to me though, might be not too far off how many they interview. It might have been that last year they got surprisingly few applicants for whatever reason.

Yeah sorry I meant admitted people, but doubt they will over offer that much tbh.
Reply 52
An offer/interview from anywhere would be so good right now, just to calm my nerves a bit!
Yeah sorry I meant admitted people, but doubt they will over offer that much tbh.

Yeah, I imagined maybe 250 which would mean that getting an interview would almost guarantee an offer though? Hm. Are there separate stats for JMC, by the way? Hopefully I get an interview letter next week at least as I sent mine off on the 27th September or maybe my application is borderline or not good enough.
Reply 54
Original post by yl95
Yeah, I imagined maybe 250 which would mean that getting an interview would almost guarantee an offer though? Hm. Are there separate stats for JMC, by the way? Hopefully I get an interview letter next week at least as I sent mine off on the 27th September or maybe my application is borderline or not good enough.

Just divide everything by 5 seems to be a general guide. I remember reading a thread where someone was saying there were 30 JMCs and 14-something compscis.
Just got a confirmation email from imperial, only 2 weeks after I applied :rolleyes:
Reply 56
Just got a confirmation email from imperial, only 2 weeks after I applied :rolleyes:

Hahah if you look in the Imperial thread then you'll see that loads of people got them last night (for different subjects too), their server was probably experiencing a little downtime hahaha.
Reply 57
Woot, just got an offer of AAA including Maths from Warwick :smile:
Reply 58
Woot, just got an offer of AAA including Maths from Warwick :smile:

Same here :smile:
Reply 59
Also got an offer from Warwick for straight Computer Science! AAA

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending