The Student Room Group

Oxford University for Computer Science

Do I still have a chance getting into Oxford if I get A*A*AA in Further maths, maths, computer science and music if my gcse results were 9876666665 ?
Reply 1
I’m applying to Oxford this year for a mathematics and computer science joint honours. My grades at gcse are 888888875. I’m taking maths, further maths, physics and computer science with a prediction around A*A*AA. I believe that I have a chance and it’s worthwhile applying so I’d say go for it if it’s something you want and then you won’t be wandering what could have been if you had applied. I’m hoping this was somewhat helpful.
Reply 2
Original post by Izzy-06
I’m applying to Oxford this year for a mathematics and computer science joint honours. My grades at gcse are 888888875. I’m taking maths, further maths, physics and computer science with a prediction around A*A*AA. I believe that I have a chance and it’s worthwhile applying so I’d say go for it if it’s something you want and then you won’t be wandering what could have been if you had applied. I’m hoping this was somewhat helpful.

Is it a easier to get into oxford if i do further maths in alevels?
I really want to do a computer science degree in oxford and i know the requirement for that is computer science and maths.
currently in year 11
Reply 3
Original post by Ryan.Seb
I really want to do a computer science degree in oxford and i know the requirement for that is computer science and maths.
currently in year 11

From what I’ve heard from open days and such, further maths does somewhat improve your chances in the sense that I believe 90 something percent of successful applicants took further maths. This absolutely does not mean you have to take it and it’s still possible to get a place without it. Most computer science degrees also care about maths and further maths over the computer science. So I wouldn’t say it makes it easier as it is a hard A level but it is a good idea. Just make sure to pick courses you enjoy at the moment as well as this! I hope this was helpful.
Reply 4
Original post by Izzy-06
From what I’ve heard from open days and such, further maths does somewhat improve your chances in the sense that I believe 90 something percent of successful applicants took further maths. This absolutely does not mean you have to take it and it’s still possible to get a place without it. Most computer science degrees also care about maths and further maths over the computer science. So I wouldn’t say it makes it easier as it is a hard A level but it is a good idea. Just make sure to pick courses you enjoy at the moment as well as this! I hope this was helpful.

Ohhh makes sense now, thank you so much
good luck applying for oxford :>
Reply 5
Ohhh makes sense now, thank you so much
good luck applying for oxford :>

Thanks! Good luck with GCSEs
Reply 6
Original post by Username178
Do I still have a chance getting into Oxford if I get A*A*AA in Further maths, maths, computer science and music if my gcse results were 9876666665 ?

my predicted grades are A*AA for Maths, Biology and Chemistry but I got 8777665555 for GCSEs, so I barely meet the gcse requirements...
will this hinder my application for Computer Science in Oxford
Original post by TheBurn
my predicted grades are A*AA for Maths, Biology and Chemistry but I got 8777665555 for GCSEs, so I barely meet the gcse requirements...
will this hinder my application for Computer Science in Oxford

I think youre in a bad position here.Not only is computing one of the most competitive courses at oxford you dont even take further maths (which 98% of successful applicant have).Your gcses are slighty below average for an oxford applicant and you dont take any recommend subjects aswell. Im sorry to say this but the only way you can get through the application phase is if your school doesnt provide FM and you came from a very impoverished area.However, even if you get pass the application stage you still have to take the extremely hard oxford entrance exam which is difficult for even further math students(P.S im not discouraging you from applying but there is a slim chance of getting in ;oxbridge isnt everything you can still get into prestigous universities for CS with these grades.
(edited 7 months ago)
Original post by Username178

Yes, generally GCSEs are less important for subjects like maths, CS, physics etc at Oxford. They do consider them but MAT performance will probably be more important in determining if you get interviewed, and the interview is probably more important in determining if you get made an offer. I can't see an obvious reason not to apply (unless e.g. neither of your A* predicted grades were in maths/FM perhaps).
Reply 9
currently in year 11

They don't offer a year in industry
Reply 10
Original post by potentialgcsepro
I think youre in a bad position here.Not only is computing one of the most competitive courses at oxford you dont even take further maths (which 98% of successful applicant have).Your gcses are slighty below average for an oxford applicant and you dont take any recommend subjects aswell. Im sorry to say this but the only way you can get through the application phase is if your school doesnt provide FM and you came from a very impoverished area.However, even if you get pass the application stage you still have to take the extremely hard oxford entrance exam which is difficult for even further math students(P.S im not discouraging you from applying but there is a slim chance of getting in ;oxbridge isnt everything you can still get into prestigous universities for CS with these grades.

I wanted to do further maths but my school doesnt provide it, even though I had an 8 in gcses maths

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending