The Student Room Group

British Biology Olympiad 2014

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Munrot07
How do you apply?

Your teacher will need to sign up, ask him/her.

Original post by jenigma
i'm on wjec, but it the highlighted bits don't make sense? how do i know which is on my syllabus and which is not?

It depends which course youre following. If your doing human look at red and yellow, if biology blue and red. The non-highlighted you have covered and the colour i missed out you will have too.

~M
Reply 41
I'm in year 13 and doing OCR biology and on the website it says "To comply with the rules of the International Biology Olympiad (IBO), the balance of the various topics, the style of papers and the questions have to conform to the IBO syllabus, which is very broad. It is clear that most candidates will not have covered all of the syllabus but no-one is at a disadvantage as this is a similar problem for everyone who is entered. Different sections will be covered or omitted according to which UK examination board and options are being studied."

Does this mean that the parts of the olympiad specification which are not covered by OCR will be left out, or do i need to look at those too?

for anyone doing OCR: https://british-biology-olympiad.s3.amazonaws.com/media/medialibrary/2013/07/Biology_Olympiad_v_OCR_syllabus_spec.pdf

thank you!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 42
Original post by vhvjhdbhfh
I'm in year 13 and doing OCR biology and on the website it says "To comply with the rules of the International Biology Olympiad (IBO), the balance of the various topics, the style of papers and the questions have to conform to the IBO syllabus, which is very broad. It is clear that most candidates will not have covered all of the syllabus but no-one is at a disadvantage as this is a similar problem for everyone who is entered. Different sections will be covered or omitted according to which UK examination board and options are being studied."

Does this mean that the parts of the olympiad specification which are not covered by OCR will be left out, or do i need to look at those too?

for anyone doing OCR: https://british-biology-olympiad.s3.amazonaws.com/media/medialibrary/2013/07/Biology_Olympiad_v_OCR_syllabus_spec.pdf

thank you!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Theyll be examined, it means your course will omit different parts
Reply 43
Being overwhelmed by the vast knowledge of Biology, A2 and beyond. i am just an AS student ....... :frown:
Reply 44
ah okay thanks :smile: does anyone know the exact date? i know it's between 20-28th jan

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 45
Original post by vhvjhdbhfh
ah okay thanks :smile: does anyone know the exact date? i know it's between 20-28th jan

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think your school decides the exact date. It just has to be taken sometime within that period. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Mattywooda
Theyll be examined, it means your course will omit different parts

wait what do you mean by 'your course'? you mean 'your paper'?
Reply 47
i think it means you will be tested on everything regardless of whether it has been covered by your exam board or not? i did the past paper on the website last night (no revision) and then just went through to see which sections i need to have a better look at (definitely genetics and biosystematics haha)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 48
Just did it, I'm expecting about 50%. I googled some of the questions after I was done with the paper and my guesswork was 50% right and 50% wrong. :/
Original post by tooskyblue
Just did it, I'm expecting about 50%. I googled some of the questions after I was done with the paper and my guesswork was 50% right and 50% wrong. :/

It's all about taking part haha :h:

But yeah, same applies :smile: Only 6 of us sat it and we all felt the same :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by itssimplyme
It's all about taking part haha :h:

But yeah, same applies :smile: Only 6 of us sat it and we all felt the same :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

how was it?? feeling confident?
Original post by jenigma
how was it?? feeling confident?

Not really but I have no idea why I was selected because I only happen to take A2 biology because I enjoy biology, hoping to take economics at uni, so I didn't take this too seriously anyway:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by itssimplyme
Not really but I have no idea why I was selected because I only happen to take A2 biology because I enjoy biology, hoping to take economics at uni, so I didn't take this too seriously anyway:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

ah man! i wanna do well enough :frown:
Reply 53
So when's everyone sitting the paper?? We were only told about the olympiad last week, I have no idea to revise, as i'm only 1/2 way through the AS course :frown:(
Reply 54
Original post by Jezebel7
So when's everyone sitting the paper?? We were only told about the olympiad last week, I have no idea to revise, as i'm only 1/2 way through the AS course :frown:(

I'm sitting it tomorrow. I'm the same as you, but I'm up in Scotland so it's the equivalent qualification.

Do the Past Paper on the website and look up all the stuff you don't know. Make sure you know your course, look at what's left in it and look at the A2 course, no point in trying to memorise it though.
Reply 55
Why is the answer to this question on the 2010 past paper from the website D? I don't really understand the question or the suggested hypotheses. :colondollar:

65. Researchers have shown that young female black grouse mate preferentially with
males that have mated with other females. Which of the following is not a testable
hypothesis for the ultimate causation of this behaviour?

A. Copying other females speeds mate selection and reduces potential
exposure to predators
B. Imitation helps younger females learn to recognize male traits that may
increase fitness
C. Copying other females speeds mate selection and increases the fitness of
young females
D. Selected males occupy a location near the centre of the lek (display &
courtship area)
E. Mate selection in black grouse is determined by a combination of genetic
and environmental factors

Reply 56
I was struggling with that one as well;

Could it be because if you were to study hypothesis D, you wouldn't be able to determine whether the males who stand in the centre of the lek are selected, or are selected because they stand in the centre of the lek?

A can be tested by comparison between two groups of females;

E can also be tested I'd imagine.

B and C are very similar; if one can be tested i'd assume both can be tested.
Reply 57
Original post by Claree
Why is the answer to this question on the 2010 past paper from the website D? I don't really understand the question or the suggested hypotheses. :colondollar:

65. Researchers have shown that young female black grouse mate preferentially with
males that have mated with other females. Which of the following is not a testable
hypothesis for the ultimate causation of this behaviour?

A. Copying other females speeds mate selection and reduces potential
exposure to predators
B. Imitation helps younger females learn to recognize male traits that may
increase fitness
C. Copying other females speeds mate selection and increases the fitness of
young females
D. Selected males occupy a location near the centre of the lek (display &
courtship area)
E. Mate selection in black grouse is determined by a combination of genetic
and environmental factors

See my above reply
Reply 58
Doing BBO tomorrow, fingers crossed/
Reply 59
Are people spending a lot of time revising for this? The people doing it at my college just try it without wasting their time revising for it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending