The Student Room Group

Computer Science Personal Statement

I'm trying to put together my personal statement but I'm struggling to find extra-curriculars. I have attended a few online summer schools in year 12 (Which I don't think are necessarily the same as the in-person summer school in terms of what you do). I also did some SpringPod courses but they don't have anything specifically computer science like.
What kind of extra-curriculars and work experience would you recommend doing? I have tried very hard to find some locally or in London but they are mostly for Year 12 students.
If I included a project as part of my personal statement would that make me stand out? Also what type of project would stand out? I only know how to code in HTML, a bit of C# and Python.
Reply 1
I would recommend doing the British Informatics Olympiad. You should be able to get your score back before UCAS applications and it is also fairly impressive if you do well in it. In terms of projects: yes, it's worth doing one. Doesn't matter which language, just as long as the quality of the project is good enough to evidence your algorithmic thinking. Also summer schools are good, irrespective of whether they are online or not, as long as you can convince us that it helped you develop your passion for compsci, and HOW it did that. Also maybe do a MOOC like CS50 on EdX, that is definitely something you could talk about in your PS.
Original post by KWad
I would recommend doing the British Informatics Olympiad. You should be able to get your score back before UCAS applications and it is also fairly impressive if you do well in it. In terms of projects: yes, it's worth doing one. Doesn't matter which language, just as long as the quality of the project is good enough to evidence your algorithmic thinking. Also summer schools are good, irrespective of whether they are online or not, as long as you can convince us that it helped you develop your passion for compsci, and HOW it did that. Also maybe do a MOOC like CS50 on EdX, that is definitely something you could talk about in your PS.

Could you explain what the British Informatics Olympiad is
Original post by _k_a_i_t_o_
I'm trying to put together my personal statement but I'm struggling to find extra-curriculars. I have attended a few online summer schools in year 12 (Which I don't think are necessarily the same as the in-person summer school in terms of what you do). I also did some SpringPod courses but they don't have anything specifically computer science like.
What kind of extra-curriculars and work experience would you recommend doing? I have tried very hard to find some locally or in London but they are mostly for Year 12 students.
If I included a project as part of my personal statement would that make me stand out? Also what type of project would stand out? I only know how to code in HTML, a bit of C# and Python.

Hi Kaito,

I am Jivanthika, a second year computer science student at the University of Sheffield. I remember when I was writing my personal statement and being confused as to what kind of stuff to write so I hope I can be of help!

The purpose of a personal statement is what attracted you to the subject and why you want to study it at university. It is not to compare you with other people but rather a means to share your passion for the subject itself. While it can be impressive to show countless examples of work experience, it is important to reflect on what you learnt from that experience. When I was in sixth form, I had not taken computer science for a level and did not undertake any work experience. However, in my personal statement, I was able to reflect on my EPQ that I did on AI and show what kind of skills I learnt from this and how this will relate to my studies at University. I also mentioned a book that I read and why it was interesting and how it helped me explore and do more research around the subject.

Therefore, the main point I believe you should convey in your personal statement is why you want to study the subject.

I hope this helps and let me know if you have any more questions!
Jivanthika :smile:
Reply 4
Could you explain what the British Informatics Olympiad is

The British Informatics Olympiad - an overview
(excuse the poorly formatted webpage, but this is in fact the official BIO site)

The link should explain more about the Olympiad.
Original post by University of Sheffield Students
Hi Kaito,

I am Jivanthika, a second year computer science student at the University of Sheffield. I remember when I was writing my personal statement and being confused as to what kind of stuff to write so I hope I can be of help!

The purpose of a personal statement is what attracted you to the subject and why you want to study it at university. It is not to compare you with other people but rather a means to share your passion for the subject itself. While it can be impressive to show countless examples of work experience, it is important to reflect on what you learnt from that experience. When I was in sixth form, I had not taken computer science for a level and did not undertake any work experience. However, in my personal statement, I was able to reflect on my EPQ that I did on AI and show what kind of skills I learnt from this and how this will relate to my studies at University. I also mentioned a book that I read and why it was interesting and how it helped me explore and do more research around the subject.

Therefore, the main point I believe you should convey in your personal statement is why you want to study the subject.

I hope this helps and let me know if you have any more questions!
Jivanthika :smile:

Ok i’ll make sure to talk about passion. Thank you 🙏
Original post by KWad
The British Informatics Olympiad - an overview
(excuse the poorly formatted webpage, but this is in fact the official BIO site)

The link should explain more about the Olympiad.

Thank you for the link. I think I understand it now.

It's great that you are considering including extra-curriculars and projects in your personal statement. These can indeed make you stand out and showcase your skills and interests. Here are some recommendations:

Online Courses and Summer Schools:

Highlight the specific topics or skills you learned during your online summer schools.

Mention any relevant online courses you've taken in computer science or related fields.

Projects:

Absolutely include a project in your personal statement. It can demonstrate practical application of your skills and passion for the subject.

Consider developing a personal project that aligns with your interests. For example, you could create a website, a simple game, or a Python application.

If you have the opportunity to contribute to an open-source project or collaborate with others, that would be a valuable experience.

Work Experience:

Even if you couldn't find specific work experience in London, any work experience can be valuable. It demonstrates skills such as teamwork, communication, and responsibility.

If you're interested in technology, any role where you use or apply technology skills (even if not directly related to computer science) can be relevant.

Personal Achievements:

If you've achieved anything noteworthy related to your interests or skills, such as winning a coding competition or completing a challenging project, be sure to mention it.

Future Plans:

Expressing your future plans or goals in the field of computer science can also be beneficial. Admissions tutors like to see that you have a clear idea of what you want to achieve.

[start]When it comes to projects, the type that stands out is one that reflects your genuine interest and demonstrates problem-solving skills. It's not necessarily about complexity but about your ability to apply what you know. For someone with HTML, C#, and Python skills, you could consider building a web application, a game, or automating a task with Python.[/start]
[start]Remember, admissions tutors are interested in your potential, your enthusiasm for the subject, and your ability to apply your skills. Be genuine and specific about your experiences, and link them to the skills and qualities that will make you a successful student in the field of computer science.[/start]

#A.S computing.
Original post by University of Suffolk student
It's great that you are considering including extra-curriculars and projects in your personal statement. These can indeed make you stand out and showcase your skills and interests. Here are some recommendations:

Online Courses and Summer Schools:

Highlight the specific topics or skills you learned during your online summer schools.

Mention any relevant online courses you've taken in computer science or related fields.

Projects:

Absolutely include a project in your personal statement. It can demonstrate practical application of your skills and passion for the subject.

Consider developing a personal project that aligns with your interests. For example, you could create a website, a simple game, or a Python application.

If you have the opportunity to contribute to an open-source project or collaborate with others, that would be a valuable experience.

Work Experience:

Even if you couldn't find specific work experience in London, any work experience can be valuable. It demonstrates skills such as teamwork, communication, and responsibility.

If you're interested in technology, any role where you use or apply technology skills (even if not directly related to computer science) can be relevant.

Personal Achievements:

If you've achieved anything noteworthy related to your interests or skills, such as winning a coding competition or completing a challenging project, be sure to mention it.

Future Plans:

Expressing your future plans or goals in the field of computer science can also be beneficial. Admissions tutors like to see that you have a clear idea of what you want to achieve.

[start]When it comes to projects, the type that stands out is one that reflects your genuine interest and demonstrates problem-solving skills. It's not necessarily about complexity but about your ability to apply what you know. For someone with HTML, C#, and Python skills, you could consider building a web application, a game, or automating a task with Python.[/start]
[start]Remember, admissions tutors are interested in your potential, your enthusiasm for the subject, and your ability to apply your skills. Be genuine and specific about your experiences, and link them to the skills and qualities that will make you a successful student in the field of computer science.[/start]

#A.S computing.

Wow, thank you for all the suggestions.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending