The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Taking antipsychotics and getting more stupid?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
It seems that research is in its early stages, and whilst the study I read...

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3252772/

...seemed to have proven the correlation between B12 deficiency and MH problems I haven't found one showing the causality yet. But still, no smoke without fire, and this carer's experience is encouraging!

http://voices.yahoo.com/how-vitamin-b-improves-negative-symptoms-schizophrenia-12064093.html

Anon: your symptoms of feeling stupid ("thought block"?) and having difficulties in concentrating are classified as "negative symptoms", so you are precisely the sort of Schizophrenia patient that B12 is claimed to help. Well worth a look in my opinion? I know it's a load of technical stuff to read which may not be helpful for you at the moment. But maybe you could give it try anyway - what harm can it do? How long do you have to wait before next Psychiatrist appointment?
All the best. When I had a similar problem in the worklace I found incredibly upsetting. Try not to pressurize yourself too much

M
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 21
It's not in its infancy - today's scientists are reinventing the wheel.

Historically (and if you watch the film it shows this) some patients with b12 deficiency who had the anaemia as well, were termed to be suffering from 'megoblastic madness.' It was later discovered that the anaemia did not need to be present for patients to be 'mad' - they just needed to have the deficiency.

I saw a study that someone sent me the other day, not relating to psychosis, that was proving folate brought homocysteine levels down. Really, what a surprise, yawn. They never checked the MMA levels though. Because although it will being one down the other will rise unchecked.
They keep 'discovering' stuff that is old hat.

Bear it in mind at all times - doctors do not know what b12 deficiency does.
Reply 22
"When it comes to speaking to the medical professionals about b12 - research before you speak to them. I did and it's a good job or I'd be dead by now.
And ask them what function b12 performs in the body - and you want a straight answer to that question. If they don't know that, why should you believe anything else they say?"

Agree with everything you're saying Kayteetoo. Thank you for the eye-opener.
Reply 23
I've put in a link to a symptom checklist - it's interactive so you can play nicely.

Maybe some people out there will recognise some of the physical symptoms of b12 deficiency?
I think there should be a few more on it that patients generally tend to get but since they aren't on, then I'm not mentioning them.

Hope the link goes up okay

http://b12d.net/content/B12-signs-symptoms-assessment-form
Reply 24
Oh right, so the scientific evidence is already there! It's just that the MH professionals haven't adopted it yet in a national scale? I think this is one example of many that calls for the intergration of Physical and Mental Health Services at the executive level!!
Reply 25
Original post by Kayteetoo
I've put in a link to a symptom checklist - it's interactive so you can play nicely.

Maybe some people out there will recognise some of the physical symptoms of b12 deficiency?
I think there should be a few more on it that patients generally tend to get but since they aren't on, then I'm not mentioning them.

Hope the link goes up okay

http://b12d.net/content/B12-signs-symptoms-assessment-form

Wow, scored 22 which is just within the zone where they recommend a follow up so will defo mention it when I next see my GP.
Reply 26
They've forgotten about it. They aren't trained in it.
All that went before, that was common knowledge, has been forgotten.

It appears that they have extracted some of the bits from the original research and findings. The bits they like, I'm presuming!
So, they think b12 deficiency is easily treated (which the blood abnormalities are - and Murphy and Minot proved this back in 1926) but they forgot about the neurological and psychological damage.

Seriously.

You cannot actually believe what has happened until you've walked the walk.

And when you have, you see them attributing symptoms to other illnesses. And, since b12 is essentially to all parts of the body, you can only imagine how many other illnesses are being 'established.'

Speak to anybody today: friend, doctor, neurologist - anybody and 99 times out of a 100 they will describe b12 as 'just a vitamin.'
Yet this is vitamin is essential to life and if, for whatever reason, you aren't getting enough, you will start to 'misfire' either physically or mentallly. Or both.
Reply 27
Yeh after I had a shot of the depot injection from the hospital after I relapsed for a second time with psychosis the drugs make me feel really slow and stupid.
Original post by vwvw
Yeh after I had a shot of the depot injection from the hospital after I relapsed for a second time with psychosis the drugs make me feel really slow and stupid.

Thanks for contributing to TSR discussions. :smile: But next time please don't resurrect an old thread, especially if there's a more recent thread covering the same area:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2739425
(edited 9 years ago)

Latest