The Student Room Group

Should we teach children about sexism/feminism?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by A Perfect Circle
Are you aware that biased self-centred rants don't constitute fact?

Out of curiosity, will you be making a thread for non-whites, homosexuals and every other minority that isn't under-represented in certain sectors?

I don't remember ranting. How flawed my memory is becoming in my old age...

Actually, the reason I started this thread was because I was remembering the lessons I had on homophobia, xenophobia, racism and the like, and as such wondered why I never had similar lessons on sexism. So, no, I won't be starting threads on whether we should teach about these problems, because we already do.
Original post by hslt
Bull****

Yes there certainly is an element of learned behaviour, but it's nonsense to say it's entirely an environmental/culturally learned difference.

In the natural world, animal species females and males have, for the most part, very different gender roles, shapes, colours, sizes. Experimentally they have different cognition in certain tasks. Why should humans be different?

In fact, there is plenty of evidence to show that male and female cognition is different (beyond 'learned roles'), and brain structure is different, and responses to certain situations are different, etcetcetc.

A simple example - giving testosterone to someone (man or woman) makes them more aggressive and competitive, increases libido, makes them stronger, men are (on the whole) more aggressive and stronger than women. Is there a link? This predominantly male hormone changes both your psychology and your physiology. Is it possible that there are other things that are different that might also change psychology and/or physiology?

The key is that all people (men and women) should be born with an equal chance to do whatever they want and their opportunities should not be limited by their gender, only by their suitability for the role (i.e. a stronger woman makes a better weight lifter than a weaker man, a cleverer man a better teacher than a less intelligent woman). That is not to say that women and men won't, can't, or shouldn't be allowed to still make different choices based on the simple fact that men and women ARE different, inherently. You will never achieve full equality by all measures because women and men are different, have different strengths, and will make different choices. Our aim should be to stop culture saying women should do this, and men shouldn't do that, but to accept that there might still be difference.

If you don't understand that then more simply put - the aim is equality of oppurtunity, NOT equality of outcome/choices. Th

I agree in most of those respects, they have been scientifically proven and argued many of the points you make - however that does not make men or woman more mentally incapable of certainsubjects or mental activities. I have had and have an testosterone imbalance and I have been told that may lead to more aggression (so far so good) by a doctor. I am not a complete idiot, I am just saying nurtured traits and hormones aren't reasons why a woman likes less physical work or english than a man does. Or that woman are always more emotional than men. These are constructed. I am not
denying any physical differences, I understand how for instance
Oxytocin works during pregnancy for instance but they still find more out about the hormones and its effects.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 62
Original post by CultureKiwi
Ok so please explain to be the mental differences between male and female that are natural at birth? No I am not saying mentally men and woman are all born exactly the same, because yes you can tell the difference between a male and female brain, but beyond hormonal functions can you please tell me what makes a male so naturally more likely to be a banker/builder/engineer? And not a female?

Give a female or male eithe oxytocin or vasopressin then the change in behaviour this causes and the change in brain activity are markedly different.

SAME HORMONE, DIFFERENT RESPONSE = Different brain

You can't say 'aside from hormones' because hormones are, largely, what drive sex differences in utero, and cause the sex differences in structure.

What makes a boy more naturally to like trucks and diggers and building than a female? Why can't a boy like baking and dressing dolls?

It is my understanding that these are mostly (unhelpful) learned cultural norms, i.e. environmental rather than biological.

It's cognition, not things that people like, that is subtly different (as a massive generalisation) - things that (from my memory, when I did this research for my 1st degree a few years ago) have been shown to be different are --> aggression, drive, co-operation in certain tasks, a huge number of factors surrounding libido/being turned on or off, spatial reasoning and verbal reasoning, functionality of sight, hand-eye co-ordination, reaction to babies.

Thats not to say all women are less aggressive and have worse spatial reasoning and better verbal reasoning. So all women (and men) should be given all oppurtunities, and who gets those oppurtunities should be based (ideally) on aptitude, regardless of gender.

What is natural about those aspects that generate the sexism and the stereotype that is actually causing myself and other people daily judgements based on the way we dress, act and what careers we choose?

Explain to me how that is natural?

It's a very natural part of any society (human or otherwise) to ostracize those who are different, or risk upsetting the stable society in some way. Not helpful, and you'd hope that we could do something about it, but still, very natural.
Reply 63
Original post by CultureKiwi
I agree in most of those respects, they have been scientifically proven and argued many of the points you make - however that does not make men or woman more mentally incapable of certainsubjects or mental activities. I have had and have an testosterone imbalance and I have been told that may lead to more aggression (so far so good) by a doctor. I am not a complete idiot, I am just saying nurtured traits and hormones aren't reasons why a woman likes less physical work or english than a man does. Or that woman are always more emotional than men. These are constructed. I am not
denying any physical differences, I understand how for instance
Oxytocin works during pregnancy for instance but they still find more out about the hormones and its effects.

Maybe I answered a couple of your points here in the above post.
Original post by A Perfect Circle
Given the fact that many women do pursue a career in banking, you would be foolish to think so.

Congratulations?

I was being sarcastic and demonstrating that hormones cannot account for the complexities of everything in life, like career choices.

Posted from TSR Mobile
If you can be bothered reading this it is about how Spatial Intelligence may support maths and science intelligence, and also intelligence in young children. Though the article it self does not talk about girls -in the world in general it is argued because girls don't get lego and construction toys that they miss out on this. This is not because of a natural cognition ability it is because they are not encouraged to play in a way that supports this very important development.

http://eprints.qut.edu.au/1760/1/1760.pdf

This is why the nurture factor is so important, because it does effect natural or not - our development, and that isn't just limited to gender.
Original post by William Turtle
Don't teach it - rather anti-teach it. If a child never experiences sexism, they'll not be sexist.

This is true, and was my first thoughts. But if things remain the way they are now, many women (and some men) will experience sexism. In the workplace especially. I still can't understand why women are so underrepresented in so many jobs. Maybe we've still got a gen to go through before people start seeing women with as much capability as men. :redface:
[QUOTE]
Original post by hslt
Give a female or male eithe oxytocin or vasopressin then the change in behaviour this causes and the change in brain activity are markedly different.

SAME HORMONE, DIFFERENT RESPONSE = Different brain

You can't say 'aside from hormones' because hormones are, largely, what drive sex differences in utero, and cause the sex differences in structure.

Ok, sorry yes I am not communicating very well what I am trying to put across. I do understand the different brain structure, what I was implying was outside of the hormones a lot more is going to play factor. I am female for instance, I have my period and I can be bit more short tempered sometimes normally just because I am tired - other girls have more problems, but some of that I believe is self control as well. We all get angry, tired and upset doesn't mean just because we are hormonal we should fly off the handle. Such as when men are pumped with hormones they should also practice self control before deciding to punch another guy out. If they have been encouraged through environment to be more aggressive or get into fights - then surely aren't they more likely to get into a punch up than a guy who has been discouraged?

This is what I am trying to say about nurturing.

It is my understanding that these are mostly (unhelpful) learned cultural norms, i.e. environmental rather than biological.

It's cognition, not things that people like, that is subtly different (as a massive generalisation) - things that (from my memory, when I did this research for my 1st degree a few years ago) have been shown to be different are --> aggression, drive, co-operation in certain tasks, a huge number of factors surrounding libido/being turned on or off, spatial reasoning and verbal reasoning, functionality of sight, hand-eye co-ordination, reaction to babies.

Thats not to say all women are less aggressive and have worse spatial reasoning and better verbal reasoning. So all women (and men) should be given all oppurtunities, and who gets those oppurtunities should be based (ideally) on aptitude, regardless of gender.

That is what I am trying to say. Ineffectively.

It's a very natural part of any society (human or otherwise) to ostracize those who are different, or risk upsetting the stable society in some way. Not helpful, and you'd hope that we could do something about it, but still, very natural.

And I am just saying just because we do this and it's 'natural' does not mean we should continue to do it or encourage it.

I posted before this about spacial awareness development and article with it. I think is interesting and worth a read.
Reply 68
I wouldn't say teach feminism. Or for that matter sexism.
Would be better to teach how your actions can effect people negatively.

Also on the nature vs nurture debate, Guardian post stating evidence from research on Colour and toy choices between boys and girls. Skip down to verdict to read summary, Link
Children have no business in knowing of the awful divide that segregates them, just let them play together and have fun. A child cannot be expected to deal with all sorts of strange ideas thrown at them pre-maturely.
Original post by JuiceInTheBox
But they will experience it. It's the norm in our society.

Yes, but not in school. Children should always be taught with the attitude that everyone is equal. Being a large part of their lives, one can only hope this'll be enough.
Reply 71
Original post by hslt
:lol: The problem with feminism at its crux.

"Don't dare suggest guys are under-supported or the feminists will get offended and pissed off"

The problem with so many guys at its crux.

"Turn it back around on feminism instead of doing anything about it."

Though feminists acknowledge men have their own problems, could you tell me where you're feeling under-supported?
Reply 72
Original post by SophiaKeuning
This is true, and was my first thoughts. But if things remain the way they are now, many women (and some men) will experience sexism. In the workplace especially. I still can't understand why women are so underrepresented in so many jobs. Maybe we've still got a gen to go through before people start seeing women with as much capability as men. :redface:

u Should ask women why
Reply 73
A 60:40 split? In a country where women outnumber men? And sadly that sort of thing is far from uncommon. In most cases it's even more unequal.

Being more informed on the subject is hardly going to hinder children.

Maybe men, on average are just better at these jobs. If I flipped a coin 10 times and got heads 6 and tails 4, it doesn't mean the coin is rigged.
Reply 74
Original post by William Turtle
Yes, but not in school. Children should always be taught with the attitude that everyone is equal. Being a large part of their lives, one can only hope this'll be enough.

So, because they won't experience it in this one setting (which is debatable), they shouldn't learn about it?
Reply 75
Original post by MJ1012
Maybe men, on average are just better at these jobs. If I flipped a coin 10 times and got heads 6 and tails 4, it doesn't mean the coin is rigged.

I'm not convinced those scenarios are comparable...
Reply 76
I'm not convinced those scenarios are comparable...

Why? you are expecting the law of probability to be exact.
Reply 77
Original post by MJ1012
Why? you are expecting the law of probability to be exact.

No, I'm saying you can't compare flipping a coin, which is totally down to chance, 10 times, to employment, which is largely not down to chance, on a massive scale.
Reply 78
No, I'm saying you can't compare flipping a coin, which is totally down to chance, 10 times, to employment, which is largely not down to chance, on a massive scale.

That doesn't explain why you still think that there would be equal results or do you think employers should be forced to hire an even number of males and females regardless of ability.
Reply 79
Original post by MJ1012
That doesn't explain why you still think that there would be equal results or do you think employers should be forced to hire an even number of males and females regardless of ability.

But it usually isn't regardless of ability. Women are generally not chosen over men, not because they are less capable, but because there's the risk factor of paying someone who isn't working there during maternity leave (Actually this is far from the only reason why men usually get jobs over women, but it's the most common).

You're implying positive discrimination, but getting rid of the discrimination women face, doesn't give them "unfair" or "unearned" opportunity.

As for equal numbers; I don't expect there to be equal numbers. I expect slightly more women then men, in the majority of sectors, reflecting not only the numbers within our country, but the numbers we see in graduates. I'm not sure you can say that a 60:40 split in men's favour doesn't imply some measure of sexism.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending