The Student Room Group
Mock Trial
The University of Law
Visit website

Are women fully protected by the Law?

Are Women fully protected by the Law? Generally, when society talks about equality between men and women it is phrased as women wanting the same rights as men. However, it can be argued that the structure of rights - and equality - is from a baseline of a wealthy white male which means that there is automatically an unlevelled playing field. Additionally many in society would argue that women have reached the “goal of equality”. For example, within England and Wales we often see women in the highest roles in our society; women can vote, own property and have the same jobs as men. We also have legislation such as the Equality Act 2010 which categorises sex as a protected characteristic.

However, when you look more deeply into society and the law, whilst the law has adapted and developed to provide women with many rights and protections, there is still a long way to go. It is argued that obtaining equality and the same rights as men in law fails to consider the differences between men and women, not to mention the absence of consideration for other social, economic and political identifications such as race, class, disability and sexual orientation for example.

Thinking about different areas of the law such as health (abortion and menopause, for example), the criminal justice system and sexual violence, do you think that the law adequately protects women? I look forward to reading your responses!

Bio
Hi, I’m Rachel Collins and I am a Tutor at the University of Law Online Campus. I teach on a number of ULaw courses, primarily the academic conversion courses. I originally studied law at the University of Liverpool, and I also have an LLM in Gender, Sexuality and the Law. I qualified and began practicing as a solicitor working on large corporate mergers between charitable housing associations and providing governance advice to a wide range of charitable and public sector bodies. I am passionate about women’s rights and the law and I am a Trustee at Basis Yorkshire, and host regular feminist book club events.

Real World Lectures
Explore today's real world issues in Business, Computer Science, Criminology, Law, Policing and Psychology. With inquisitive minds, we will question the world and form our own opinions. We’ll debate systems, procedures and behaviours. You may arrive at these events with questions, but you’ll leave with an ability to answer. For more information on Real World Lectures, please visit here.
(edited 10 months ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TSR Talks ULaw
Are Women fully protected by the Law? Generally, when society talks about equality between men and women it is phrased as women wanting the same rights as men. However, it can be argued that the structure of rights - and equality - is from a baseline of a wealthy white male which means that there is automatically an unlevelled playing field. Additionally many in society would argue that women have reached the “goal of equality”. For example, within England and Wales we often see women in the highest roles in our society; women can vote, own property and have the same jobs as men. We also have legislation such as the Equality Act 2010 which categorises sex as a protected characteristic.

However, when you look more deeply into society and the law, whilst the law has adapted and developed to provide women with many rights and protections, there is still a long way to go. It is argued that obtaining equality and the same rights as men in law fails to consider the differences between men and women, not to mention the absence of consideration for other social, economic and political identifications such as race, class, disability and sexual orientation for example.

Thinking about different areas of the law such as health (abortion and menopause, for example), the criminal justice system and sexual violence, do you think that the law adequately protects women? I look forward to reading your responses!

Bio
Hi, I’m Rachel Collins and I am a Tutor at the University of Law Online Campus. I teach on a number of ULaw courses, primarily the academic conversion courses. I originally studied law at the University of Liverpool, and I also have an LLM in Gender, Sexuality and the Law. I qualified and began practicing as a solicitor working on large corporate mergers between charitable housing associations and providing governance advice to a wide range of charitable and public sector bodies. I am passionate about women’s rights and the law and I am a Trustee at Basis Yorkshire, and host regular feminist book club events.

Real World Lectures
Explore today's real world issues in Business, Computer Science, Criminology, Law, Policing and Psychology. With inquisitive minds, we will question the world and form our own opinions. We’ll debate systems, procedures and behaviours. You may arrive at these events with questions, but you’ll leave with an ability to answer. For more information on Real World Lectures, please visit here.

Hi everyone! I'm looking forward to hearing your thoughts on this topic over the next two weeks! Feel free to post any views or questions below.
Mock Trial
The University of Law
Visit website
Reply 2
Hi Rachel, really interesting to read about your work and your feminist book club! One of my goals for the year is to read more feminist literature, and I've just finished the Authority Gap which was really eye-opening - Do you have any books you'd recommend? Thank you :smile:
Hi there! Great to hear one of your goals is to read more feminist literature. I would recommend the following non-fiction books: A Decolonial Feminism by Francoise Verges, Eve was Shamed by Helena Kennedy and Revolting Prostitutes by Juno Mac and Molly Smith to start with. If you are a fan of fiction I recommend most Margaret Atwood novels (The blind assassin is my favourite), He, She and It by Marge Piercy if you are interested in feminist sci-fi and Her body and other parties by Carmen Maria Machado. Hope that helps and happy reading!
Original post by Anonymous
Hi Rachel, really interesting to read about your work and your feminist book club! One of my goals for the year is to read more feminist literature, and I've just finished the Authority Gap which was really eye-opening - Do you have any books you'd recommend? Thank you :smile:
Reply 4
Hi there! Great to hear one of your goals is to read more feminist literature. I would recommend the following non-fiction books: A Decolonial Feminism by Francoise Verges, Eve was Shamed by Helena Kennedy and Revolting Prostitutes by Juno Mac and Molly Smith to start with. If you are a fan of fiction I recommend most Margaret Atwood novels (The blind assassin is my favourite), He, She and It by Marge Piercy if you are interested in feminist sci-fi and Her body and other parties by Carmen Maria Machado. Hope that helps and happy reading!

Thank you for your reply, that's really helpful!
I'm definitely interested in feminist fiction, thank you for your suggestions! I've previously read The Handmaid's Tail and The Testaments, and I'll be sure to try Margaret Atwood's other work. I've not explored the genre of feminist sci-fi previously but they also sound really interesting thank you - I'll get requesting those from the library! Thanks again :smile:
Reply 5

Bio

Real World Lectures

this probably isn't relevant but some men and women can't really be equal
Some men have position and authority over women
Original post by A____J
this probably isn't relevant but men and women can't really be equal
men have position and authority over women

Hi A___J

Thanks for your contribution. I am wondering what you mean by men have position and authority over women? Would you care to expand on this? Perhaps you are considering whether treating men and women the same - and therefore equally - is not appropriate because of the power imbalance and that other factors must be taken into account for women to be treated equitably?
Reply 7
Perhaps you are considering whether treating men and women the same - and therefore equally - is not appropriate because of the power imbalance and that other factors must be taken into account for women to be treated equitably?

yeah, something like that
i feel that men are so underrated these days... and that's sad
Reply 8
Original post by A____J

i understand a lot of men feel like they're targeted by feminism and tend to reply to criticisms of predominantly male behaviour with "but it's not all men". they also can't separate feminism from female supremacy which is sad.
Reply 9
i understand a lot of men feel like they're targeted by feminism and tend to reply to criticisms of predominantly male behaviour with "but it's not all men". they also can't separate feminism from female supremacy which is sad.

mm true ig
Original post by A____J

Would you like to expand on this further A___J? In what way do you feel men are underrated?

A good point here, thank you for contributing. It seems you are alluding to when some men argue that they have been subjected to unequal treatment or criticism without understanding the definition of feminism. Please do feel free to expand here if you wish, perhaps in the context of the law?
Reply 12
Would you like to expand on this further A___J? In what way do you feel men are underrated?

these feminists - they're all like we don't need a man and all that
A man completes a woman...if that makes sense
Yes, you do. The world originally started with men, men who did heavy-duty jobs and stuff.
Original post by A____J
these feminists - they're all like we don't need a man and all that
A man completes a woman...if that makes sense
Yes, you do. The world originally started with men, men who did heavy-duty jobs and stuff.

The definition of feminism is "the advocacy of women's rights on the basis of the equality of the sexes". Some feminists may not feel like they need a man in their lives, others may, and that's absolutely fine, just like a man may or may not want a woman in their life. All human beings are complete persons without another. It is not correct to say that the world started with men and a man completes a woman. I would suggest undertaking some reading perhaps A Decolonial Feminism by Francoise Verges or Eve was Shamed by Helena Kennedy as I recommended above.
I definitely think there has been a lot of progress but that there are still issues. For example the idea of if a woman wants to have a child but worrying that taking maternity leave may impact negatively on her career etc. (I know this may happen to parents of any gender too, but it's often woman). Often woman can be paid less too, although could this be that woman are less likely to ask for a pay rise? I'm not sure. It feels like there's now more subtle inequalities :redface:
Original post by BurstingBubbles
I definitely think there has been a lot of progress but that there are still issues. For example the idea of if a woman wants to have a child but worrying that taking maternity leave may impact negatively on her career etc. (I know this may happen to parents of any gender too, but it's often woman). Often woman can be paid less too, although could this be that woman are less likely to ask for a pay rise? I'm not sure. It feels like there's now more subtle inequalities :redface:

Thanks BurstingBubbles, and great point. There has certainly been lots of progress but the nuances of sexism can and still does hinder women in various areas of their lives - as you have mentioned maternity leave, lower pay than men. Absolutely these things can affect men too - but the wider percentage is women. Can you think of any other areas perhaps where the law states there is equality but in reality is may not be true?
Hi Rachel! I'm Christian. After seeing this thread yesterday I started chatting with some of the women at work (aged 25-65) and now my head is swimming. :lol:

Much of the legal system was set in stone at a time where women were still viewed as "property" of a male caregiver (father, husband, etc). Can we have equality without a significant overhaul? Or do you think enough has been done to mitigate against this?

As BurstingBubbles raised, maternity leave can impact a woman's career. While paternity leave exists, it's significantly shorter (I believe 1-2 weeks as opposed to ~1 year, correct me if I'm wrong). This could inadvertently push women into that caregiver role. Would equality for women be more benefitted by a shared parental leave that can be taken off by either one of the parents? E.g. giving the birth mother the option to return to work while her partner stays home with the baby, if that's what they feel is the best dynamic for their family.

Thinking a bit later in life here, but what kind of legal protection (if any) is in place for menopause? Given this is something half the population will experience and how debilitating it can potentionally be, do you think more needs to be done to protect menopausal women in the workplace?
(edited 10 months ago)

From my experience, whatever the law is on paper, a lot still needs to be done before I would say that women are actually protected equally by the law!

Original post by A____J
men have position and authority over women

Unfortunately this hasn't changed enough yet
Original post by 1582
Would equality for women be more benefitted by a shared parental leave that can be taken off by either one of the parents? E.g. giving the birth mother the option to return to work while her partner stays home with the baby, if that's what they feel is the best dynamic for their family.

can i ask if there was a shared parental leave that only one of the parents could take what would happen when both do not want to. If the mother chose to continue with work then the father's career would be impacted. So one of the parents career would have to be impacted anyway. So i suppose there should be the freedom to choose whose. Which could cause issue but better yet if people were able to alternate their leave.

another question how is the career impacted is it due to time as you are able to return to the same i cant think of any other ways one would be impacted correct me if im wrong.
Hi A___J

Thanks for your contribution. I am wondering what you mean by men have position and authority over women? Would you care to expand on this? Perhaps you are considering whether treating men and women the same - and therefore equally - is not appropriate because of the power imbalance and that other factors must be taken into account for women to be treated equitably?

I'm just going to jump in here.

Men and women are not treated the same across the board because they are not the same. This is not a bad thing.

All humans have the same rights and are given the same opportunities and they have the freedom to do and think as they please. In this way men and women are equal.

Now you've just mentioned equity which is a radically different idea to equality and is an idea, I think, that is extremely harmful and unrealistic.

Equity, as in, everyone receives the same regardless of their ability or personal circumstance.

In this example, men are in positions of power and responsibility more often than women. This is because men are better leaders, and better under pressure than women. That is a natural difference in our biology.

To make this equitable you would have to force women into positions of power where they are not necessarily suited. Women can be in positions of power but, they only succeed if they get there through natural competition with other humans.

If they are given the position because they are a woman not because they are the best then that is not equality but equity and, it is biased.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending