The Student Room Group

medicine or finance ?

TLDR: I'm trying to figure out how to have maximise my chances of having a stable and fulfilling life, which involves deciding whether to pursue a career in different fields such as medicine or finance. both are fulfilling in their own ways and have their cons. does anyone have any insights into these career paths and choosing between the two? both require early planning and long time commitment. thanks.

Now before people start typing out hostile answers by having looked at the question only, please hear me out. I personally don't think that comparing two lucrative careers is a sign that someone is in 'X' career for the wrong reasons. You can have several valid reasons for considering and comparing two career paths like medicine and finance. This is a question I've been thinking about for quite a while, and I need to make a decision soon as I'm applying for my degree, so I'm asking you for your help. I'd appreciate insight from anyone in these two careers, or anyone who is mature/insightful/with life experience. Thank you in advance.
PART 1: MEDICINE PROS AND CONS
Medicine pro reasons:
- I love science and being able to learn and apply science every day is great. It's an opportunity to learn about science and develop a greater understanding of how things work through exposure to new things each day. I'm inquisitive and analytically and numerically gifted, and this is a way to put that in to good use. in a medical career, I could also be able to work on scientific research.
- I am interested in the human condition; what it means to be a human, the meaning of life, death, human suffering. Pursuing this career path enables me to be tied to human nature and have the time to understand it and also overcome my own fears as a human. I like understanding other people and being able to relate to them
- It's fulfilling - I'm able to help other people whilst doing things that benefit me. I'm able to see my work benefit the lives of people on an individual level. I would do my absolute best in trying to help patients using my developed skills and in return I get the reward of knowing that I have been able to help. I want to live a fulfilling life and when I am on my death bed, this is the sort of thing I will inevitably look back on and have given my life meaning
- Its stable and the career path projection is clear: I don't need to have every day anxiety about knowing how I will advance in my career, I can relax more and know that there is a rough guideline available towards advancing my career. the game is fun and I'd enjoy trying to play the system to progress up and apply my understanding of politics etc. but not toxically so. eventually can start a business which I would consider doing for various reasons
- maternity leave and being a woman: I'm a female and want my own children. I'd want to take time off in my late twenties/early thirties to give attention to my children. medics have a high proportion of women so things like sexism/ discrimination based on maternity etc. and all the problems faced due to being a woman in other white collar careers are going to apply less. the skills I learn as a doc (about the human body, how to interact with others well) will help me in bringing up my own children the best way possible and also allow me to have knowledge to save my loved ones as much as I can should they be ill/ have the medical connections that will allow them to get the best care
- its respectable/prestigious - all people need a doctor and trust their lives with one. This means that the profession is greatly respected. whilst this isn't the most important factor for me, I like that it means society knows what I do and am able to ask me for help and need me. It's nice to feel needed and included by many people and play an eminent role in society. everyone in different areas of society feels comfortable talking to me and I like being able to be a pillar of support
- money - inevitably the first years as a junior doctor wouldn't pay much but medicine is a career where you are able to get more money as you age. this is a pro and a con but as a pro it means that I will be able to live well when I'm old.

the things I don't like in medicine:
- the one-up/competitive/ratrace culture: I'm someone who likes to focus on their own path and mind my own business, however, I find that when you are doing this in something like medicine, inevitably people try and get in the way and their toxicity ruins your meditative and self focused state. the pre-med culture and medic culture is something I don't want to identify with, at the same time, its inevitable, so not sure how I'd try and not be affected. I'm not hating the people like this, just this is the nature of the system for great rewards
- the low pay with long hours - want money early for own reasons
- blood and guts - I'm squeamish and this is something that can be gotten over, but id enjoy things where I don't have to see blood and guts every day. not sure if this is possible as a doc but I'm sure there are some specialities for people like me? I'm more talented with the scientific side rather than practical hands on. but willing to work on this
- the lack of flexibility: I'm interested in other domains of knowledge, will I have time to pursue these? I also enjoy molecular biology etc more over whole human systems biology. but again, no career is perfect in what you can choose to do, plenty of opportunity to learn relevant things so don't mind too much
- please let me know if there are any others I should know that could be relevant

other notes: I do not want a career in academia, biomedical etc. this is because I don't find the opportunity cost worth it for various reasons. going to not expand on this but please don't suggest this as I have considered many times and done work experience in academia and lab etc. I wouldn't mind it part time not as main job role.

PART 2: FINANCE PROS AND CONS
so essentially I consider this as an alternative to medicine mainly as:
its lucrative and opportunity for money, quick. opportunity to learn about investments etc to make more money. I want money to support my family and live a good lifestyle as much as possible. treat my parents and loved ones. nothing wrong with this. not sure how the overall lifetime salaries differ, would be curious about this if anyone knows
I like numbers and analysis, so plays to my strengths and perhaps I will find the nature of the work easier than medicine. different areas of finance suited for different people

why not finance:
- work not inherently meaningful other than it gives me the money to support family and donate
- work can be dry and dull for less fulfilment
- 'toxic culture'? especially for women? I don't want to sacrifice my morals for this
- maternity leave... not sure how this would work. seems like you're leaving the game if you have kids. kids more important to me then career progression, at the same time I want money and stability for my kids
- not stable career, would look for exit opportunities
- I don't want to lose myself/have change in personality and lose my friends and family, which inevitably happens sometimes
- long hours
- not v respectable, people think youre 'evil' and have sold your soul for money. this isn't very important for me personally but at the same time I'm human and care about what the people around me think of me and I want to feel good and be respected

So, I know more about medicine than finance given the time I've spent exploring the careers. the number of pros and cons aren't representative of where I'm better off, different points have different weighting. other careers I've considered and ruled out are tech and academia.

I appreciate your responses and insight, thanks all :smile:
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by easternfrosting2

the things I don't like in medicine:
- the one-up/competitive/ratrace culture: I'm someone who likes to focus on their own path and mind my own business, however, I find that when you are doing this in something like medicine, inevitably people try and get in the way and their toxicity ruins your meditative and self focused state. the pre-med culture and medic culture is something I don't want to identify with, at the same time, its inevitable, so not sure how I'd try and not be affected. I'm not hating the people like this, just this is the nature of the system for great rewards
- the low pay with long hours: my dad is old, in his 70s, and I want to treat him and spend time with him before its too late (asap). for this reason and others, id like to make money earlier or have less hours as a junior doc
- blood and guts - I'm squeamish and this is something that can be gotten over, but id enjoy things where I don't have to see blood and guts every day. not sure if this is possible as a doc but I'm sure there are some specialities for people like me? I'm more talented with the scientific side rather than practical hands on. but willing to work on this
- the lack of flexibility: I'm interested in other domains of knowledge, will I have time to pursue these? I also enjoy molecular biology etc more over whole human systems biology. but again, no career is perfect in what you can choose to do, plenty of opportunity to learn relevant things so don't mind too much
- please let me know if there are any others I should know that could be relevant

other notes: I do not want a career in academia, biomedical etc. this is because I don't find the opportunity cost worth it for various reasons. going to not expand on this but please don't suggest this as I have considered many times and done work experience in academia and lab etc. I wouldn't mind it part time not as main job role.

-the one-up/competitive/ratrace culture--> Not sure I completely agree with this statement- recently graduated as a doctor myself and personally I have seldom experienced this. There is a sense of competitiveness in all careers to an extent but if you do experience toxic people the best thing to be would be to talk to someone about it and try and sort the situation out. I definitely don't think its the 'norm' in medicine to experience this.

- blood and guts --> you will have to work through this during med school and fy1+fy2. But after that you can go into something like radiology which might be more up your alley - no bloods or guts there.

- the lack of flexibility--> flexibility is still possible, you can train less than full time once you graduate from medical school, you can get involved in teaching on the wards or at the local medical school (may be even get a PGCert in education), can look into taking up leadership roles.
hey thanks for the reply, learnt things I didn't know. for the point about flexibility, where you mentioned getting involved in teaching on wards etc, are these things female docs tend to do for maternity etc?
hey thanks for the reply, learnt things I didn't know. for the point about flexibility, where you mentioned getting involved in teaching on wards etc, are these things female docs tend to do for maternity etc?

You'll probably get more answers if you give a tl;dr at the end - it's a bit of an essay otherwise.
Original post by Reality Check
You'll probably get more answers if you give a tl;dr at the end - it's a bit of an essay otherwise.

lol thanks, added.
lol thanks, added.

:smile: No problem - and that's a perfect summary.
Reply 6

Definitely not! You can get involved in teaching at any stage of your career. I have received teaching on the wards from senior medical students, FY1/2 docs, consultants, regs and even retired consultants who occasionally come back and volunteer to do some teaching and its been both male and female docs
Reply 7
HEY! I am so glad I came across this thread. Currently I’m a 1year finance student thinking to drop finance for medicine as all my life I’ve been trying to be a doctor but now I have same thoughts as you. As this thread was from 3years ago, Please let me know what was your decision and how u feel about it!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending