The Student Room Group
Original post by ialexxd
I want to do mathematics at university but am not quite sure whether to combine it with economics or to do maths without anything else? Also which universities require STEP and MAT as I do not want to have to sit a paper which I don't feel confident about doing? Thanks :s-smilie:

Sums up A-levels quite nicely.
Original post by ialexxd
I want to do mathematics at university but am not quite sure whether to combine it with economics or to do maths without anything else? Also which universities require STEP and MAT as I do not want to have to sit a paper which I don't feel confident about doing? Thanks :s-smilie:

MAT:
Imperial (for Mathematics courses except for Mathematics and Computer Science)
Oxford for all Mathematics and Computer Science related courses

STEP:
Imperial (depends on your application; if you achieve a borderline mark in MAT, you will be asked to sit STEP/if you can't sit the MAT, you will be given a STEP offer if your application is strong enough for them)
Cambridge (1 in STEP II, STEP III mostly)
Warwick
UCL (don't have to take STEP but the offer changes from A*A*A to A*AA with a 1 in a STEP paper)
Bristol (not actually required but offer becomes AAB with a 2 in a STEP paper)
Bath (think it's similar to Bristol)
Original post by yl95
MAT:
Imperial (for Mathematics courses except for Mathematics and Computer Science)
Oxford for all Mathematics and Computer Science related courses

STEP:
Imperial (depends on your application; if you achieve a borderline mark in MAT, you will be asked to sit STEP/if you can't sit the MAT, you will be given a STEP offer if your application is strong enough for them)
Cambridge (1 in STEP II, STEP III mostly)
Warwick
UCL (don't have to take STEP but the offer changes from A*A*A to A*AA with a 1 in a STEP paper)

What do you think a boderline mark would be in MAT?
Reply 4
Original post by yl95

Bristol is only AAB for a contextual offer. Otherwise A*AA

Edit: actually it's a bit more complicated:

A*AA *including A* in Mathematics, plus at least one of the following subjects*; or AAA including Mathematics and Further Mathematics

NB.
*Physics, Chemistry, Biology, Economics or Computer Science. STEP achievement may be included as part of an alternative offer.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Major-fury
What do you think a boderline mark would be in MAT?

Original post by jneill
Bristol is only AAB for a contextual offer. Otherwise A*AA

Edit: actually it's a bit more complicated:

A*AA *including A* in Mathematics, plus at least one of the following subjects*; or AAA including Mathematics and Further Mathematics

NB.
*Physics, Chemistry, Biology, Economics or Computer Science. STEP achievement may be included as part of an alternative offer.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Haha please note that that post was made in 2013...
Reply 6
Original post by yl95
Haha please note that that post was made in 2013...

Good point!

I'll lock the thread... much of the other info will also have changed since 2013. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)

Latest