The Student Room Group

Will universities accept maths and further maths as two?

I'm currently taking maths, further maths, physics and politics for A-Level and am being pressured quite a lot by the workload. I want to take maths or maths and philosophy at university, so thought dropping politics would be the best decision. Will this impact my opportunities at being accepted into university, as I've heard some universities consider maths and further maths as a singular A-Level.
Original post by Hedgehog ED
I'm currently taking maths, further maths, physics and politics for A-Level and am being pressured quite a lot by the workload. I want to take maths or maths and philosophy at university, so thought dropping politics would be the best decision. Will this impact my opportunities at being accepted into university, as I've heard some universities consider maths and further maths as a singular A-Level.

This varies by uni (and potentially by course). Which unis are you considering?
Reply 2
Original post by DataVenia
This varies by uni (and potentially by course). Which unis are you considering?

Oxford, Durham, Warwick, York and Hull (fallback uni).
Original post by Hedgehog ED
Oxford, Durham, Warwick, York and Hull (fallback uni).

You're good. If you're taking A level Further Maths, then these are the entry requirements:

Oxford: A*A*A with A* in Maths and A* in Further Maths (details).
Durham: A*A* in Mathematics and Further Mathematics plus A in any other A level or equivalent (details) - can be lowered based upon your TMUA/MAT/STEP performance.
Warwick: A*A* in Maths and Further Maths, A* in a third A-Level (details) - can be lowered based upon your TMUA/MAT/STEP performance.
York: AAB including A in Mathematics and A in Further Mathematics (details).
Hull: BBB; Applicants should have an A level in Maths at Grade B or above (details).

You will note that all of them treat Further Maths and a full A level alongside Maths.

Quick Reply

Latest