The Student Room Group

How did everyone find the Senior Maths Challenge (UKMT)? (07/11/2013)

Scroll to see replies

em i did 22 of them ran out of time .. skipped q22 and did q23 ... I got q3 wrong though .. cause I thought they asked for unit digit.. silly me.
Original post by Actaris
Nobody is actually posting answers. Proper discussion will start when they post the answers on the website.

When do they post them?
Reply 22
I found it harder than last years, but then again I did last years one Monday night and kept checking the answers :P

I attempted 13, hoping for around the 60 mark..
Are we allowed to discuss the paper .. cause I got the paper with me..
How many attempts did you each have? :smile: My first attempt.. got 7 question which I feel confident (no guesses) :/
Reply 25
I answered 15. Also, my first name didn't fit into the number of boxes assigned for it. :unimpressed:
Attempted 24...didn't have the guts to do the last Q lol :tongue:
Original post by Mathsforlife
Are we allowed to discuss the paper .. cause I got the paper with me..

Nope, not until the answers are posted (tomorrow night or Saturday morning)
Original post by sophiekutie
Nope, not until the answers are posted (tomorrow night or Saturday morning)

ohh okay .. why the heck does the school let the students keep the paper then.
Original post by Mathsforlife
ohh okay .. why the heck does the school let the students keep the paper then.

Um I think it's only meant for personal use..? But I might be wrong :colondollar:
Original post by knope
I answered 15. Also, my first name didn't fit into the number of boxes assigned for it. :unimpressed:

The same thing happened in my college as well. A girl couldn't put in her first name in the boxes provided, and was told by the invigilators to put the maximum number of letters of her first name possible in the boxes. People started laughing in the examination hall when this happened. Did you put in your nickname in the boxes then?
Original post by knope

It doesn't really matter... It's your school that write your name on the certificate so as long as they know what your full name is you'll be alright :smile:
Reply 32
Original post by 123456789012
The same thing happened in my college as well. A girl couldn't put in her first name in the boxes provided, and was told by the invigilators to put the maximum number of letters of her first name possible in the boxes. People started laughing in the examination hall when this happened. Did you put in your nickname in the boxes then?

Yeah, I did. I thought it looked slightly less bad to have my nickname in there than Catherin with an e falling off the side of the table. :s-smilie: I was mostly perplexed by the fact that they had so few boxes in that column yet there were tons in the last name bit, so they'd clearly considered that people might have long names…but only from one bit of their name?!
Reply 33
Original post by sophiekutie
It doesn't really matter... It's your school that write your name on the certificate so as long as they know what your full name is you'll be alright :smile:

True enough! I suppose it was the stern instructions to write your full name that had me erring over it.
Original post by knope
True enough! I suppose it was the stern instructions to write your full name that had me erring over it.

Haha no worries, you should be fine with it :smile:
Reply 35
I only answered 13 questions but I'm pretty confident about all of them.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 36
Original post by 123456789012
I answered 12 and got 10 of them right (after comparing my answers with my friends). Last year, I received the certificate in around April/May time. Do you think that the grade boundaries will be higher this year than the last year?

If grade boundaries change evry year then yes, they probably will be bcoz it was pretty easy
I found it easy actually. This is my first year doing it (I'm in year 10) and I managed to answer 19 questions. I am sure I have got them all right because I checked my answers with a person in lower sixth who is the 14th in the country at maths! :smile: He got full marks last year so fairly confident!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Alexbenfield123
I found it easy actually. This is my first year doing it (I'm in year 10) and I managed to answer 19 questions. I am sure I have got them all right because I checked my answers with a person in lower sixth who is the 14th in the country at maths! :smile: He got full marks last year so fairly confident!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

What does that even mean? :confused:
Reply 39
i've had the same problem with the number of letters in the first name box - I put Steph instead of of Stephanie which was fine last year so I don't think that is anything to worry about :smile:
My teacher answered all the questions whilst we were doing the paper, I checked with him and I got a score 101 (I did 19 questions and didn't get any wrong).
Does anyone have an idea where boundaries for Kangaroo / olympiad are going to be this year? I've heard they may go up...

Quick Reply

Latest