The Student Room Group

How did everyone find the Senior Maths Challenge (UKMT)? (07/11/2013)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by knope
I thought that each correct answer gave you 4 marks (and this is what is says on the 2012 paper at least), so why is out of 135? :s-smilie:

Original post by Goods
attempted 19 got 1 wrong ~ 96/125 hopefully enough for BMO1

pretty sure its out of 125

93 for BMO last year. i have seem to have 98 *fingerscrossed*
Reply 61
sorry, delete your message then
Original post by Mathsforlife
Its better if u just stup up.
Original post by Shady778
Any chance of 48 being a bronze?

Hey dude,
High five I believe I got around the 50's too... I didn't guess any.. done 7 question with confidence... Kinda scares me how people get high marks I hope for a bronze too :/
the paper was definitely tougher than last year .. especially the last few questions.. this year's 21-25 was way harder.
Reply 64
Original post by Zephyr1011
We're not supposed to discuss the answers yet, since some people may not have done it yet

yup, I did delete mine, so it would be better if you delete your reply either
Well- thats fine then- if we can discuss experience.
I answered 22 - maths teacher has answers too but im confident that I got 20 right and 2 wrong so 103/125 I make that- must have qualified for BMO1 I am sure.
Original post by Mathsforlife
the paper was definitely tougher than last year .. especially the last few questions.. this year's 21-25 was way harder.

Really?- either I have massively improved in ability or the paper is definitely quite easier. I got 63 last year and am sure of 103 this year. ( In year 13 now so really happy as its last chance)
Anyone got any estimations on what the boundary for a gold may be?
Reply 68
Was hoping for some nice ones on 21-25 but they were pretty nasty this year, normally they give at least one easy algebra one
Reply 69
Original post by ssargithan
Hey dude,
High five I believe I got around the 50's too... I didn't guess any.. done 7 question with confidence... Kinda scares me how people get high marks I hope for a bronze too :/

Hey bro, I have all the answers now cos the teacher emailed them to us all after the exam was done. So im 100% sure I have 48 :smile: I hope I get a bronze though, Unlikely but hopefully still in with a shot
My older sister did it today, haven't asked her about it yet..
estimate grade boundaries?
Original post by jjpneed
Was hoping for some nice ones on 21-25 but they were pretty nasty this year, normally they give at least one easy algebra one

The only nasty one of those is q25 the others easy
Reply 73
I answered 12, but I know I've only got 11 right :unimpressed:

That will give me 69 points - what is this likely to be?
Reply 74
(Original post by Alexbenfield123)
I found it easy actually. This is my first year doing it (I'm in year 10) and I managed to answer 19 questions. I am sure I have got them all right because I checked my answers with a person in lower sixth who is the 14th in the country at maths! He got full marks last year so fairly confident!!

Original post by Zephyr1011
You mean from this list from last year's BMO2?

http://www.bmoc.maths.org/news/20130209-00-bmo2marked.shtml

If he does mean the 14th person on that list Ramsey Pyper he was a senior at the 2013 summer school at Balliol i got invited to through the intermediate challenge and he went to Eton so he should be good!
Reply 75
Q21-25 was waaaaaaayyyyy easier than the ones last year. Probably its just my day.
Reply 76
And also i attempted 20 (missed 17,20,22,24&25) and am fairly confident on them so that would mean 105 which i'm hoping will be enough to make BMO1 but i think the grade boundaries will go up from last year because although i didn't do it i just looked and last years paper looks harder :-/
think I got between 75 and 81? will that be a bronze?
So guys the majority is that it waseasier than previous years?
Reply 79
I answered 21 and guessed all the others. I'm always so bad at the geometry questions, even the easy ones just put me in a complete bleurgh.

Quick Reply

Latest