The Student Room Group

Music A-level

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Azamnium
Why do music anyway. It's a fools subject

No, listening to Music is pretty hard
Original post by am-mtj
I'd really love to pour out my musical troubles to you but with you being grade 12 and all, I wouldn't want to sound too petty so I won't waste your time.

Your really clever
Reply 82
Original post by charlesturner8
No, listening to Music is pretty hard

Yeah i know right. My god, tupac really does put my brain to the test....
Reply 83
Original post by charlesturner8
You must be very clever to point out a mistake in spelling and to use words like 'bestow' , or you could just think your smart but your just pretentious.
And you do Music

It's called sarcasm...it apparently comes rather naturally to us "clever" folk.
I do music because I'm good at and enjoy the subject which is perfect because it's very useful for the degree I want to take and the career path I want to pursue. General Studies + Critical Thinking, now I'd forgive you if that was the case but it isn't.

Ah, it looks like I've ran out of troll food...sorry, dear.

------------------

For the serious guys out there, are any of you pianists or decent composers (for piano would be ideal but what the hey...)?
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by keromedic
Because I did well at the Cw. And I'm not that good at listening and essays but I have to be this year as I've dis overed I actually need an A...

I'm the opposite! I got C in the exam, C in composition and then a very high E in performing! Overall D. I'd like to get a C over all. Any tips?
Original post by 2007PSanHa
I'm the opposite! I got C in the exam, C in composition and then a very high E in performing! Overall D. I'd like to get a C over all. Any tips?

What grade are you in your best instrument?
About 7. Working on 8!
Reply 87
How're everyone's compositions going? I've almost finished mine, been pretty much no lifing it for the past few days :tongue:
I doing the A2 arranging brief. I'm arranging Handel's Water Music into a pop song. I've pretty much finished the melody for the chorus and verses and have started on lyrics. Need to add a guitar, bass guitar and drums though! Only got the brief on November 1st so have had like 5 lessons on it! What do you think of my chorus lyrics, I haven't written lyrics before!

Where the river
Leads to the sea
I want to follow
Want to be free
Want to be free
Board a boat and swim
Out to sea, out to sea
Want to be free
Want to be free
Reply 89
Original post by 2007PSanHa
I doing the A2 arranging brief. I'm arranging Handel's Water Music into a pop song. I've pretty much finished the melody for the chorus and verses and have started on lyrics. Need to add a guitar, bass guitar and drums though! Only got the brief on November 1st so have had like 5 lessons on it! What do you think of my chorus lyrics, I haven't written lyrics before!

Where the river
Leads to the sea
I want to follow
Want to be free
Want to be free
Board a boat and swim
Out to sea, out to sea
Want to be free
Want to be free

Oh are you AQA? You guys get weird briefs :tongue:

I think they're great lyrics! This sounds strange but I can imagine it being sang to the chorus of Bruno Mars' When I Was Your Man

Progress has kind of slowed on mine, doing a theme and variations and I made a new one with a more adventurous chord structure (my old one was a bit boring)
| I | V | VI N6 | V |
Reply 90
I have about 20 seconds left of my Circus piece to do. Having a fun time practising the piano accompaniment, I made it quite taxing on the fingers at places but the clarinet part is gorgeous (getting Kieran to to do it, meaning I can make it hell for him).
What did you guys do for your AS composition?
Original post by Flauta
Oh are you AQA? You guys get weird briefs :tongue:

I think they're great lyrics! This sounds strange but I can imagine it being sang to the chorus of Bruno Mars' When I Was Your Man

Progress has kind of slowed on mine, doing a theme and variations and I made a new one with a more adventurous chord structure (my old one was a bit boring)
| I | V | VI N6 | V |

Thanks! Yeah, I'm doing AQA. What board are you? Your composition sounds exciting! My chords aren't very adventurous apart from a diminished 7th in the chorus.
Original post by am-mtj
I have about 20 seconds left of my Circus piece to do. Having a fun time practising the piano accompaniment, I made it quite taxing on the fingers at places but the clarinet part is gorgeous (getting Kieran to to do it, meaning I can make it hell for him).
What did you guys do for your AS composition?

I did the free composition brief and wrote for a string quartet. Had great fun using all the different string techniques! Got a C which I was very happy with! :smile: I just recorded my composition off the computer. Would have loved to have heard it played!
Reply 93
That sounds awesome :smile: Well done too!
I'm doing Edexcel, did the "emotive" brief where you had to write a piece suggested by the title "Into the Forest". Wrote a solo piano piece in a contemporary style and got an A which I was chuffed with ^^ My teacher wouldn't let us hand in computer-recorded recordings so we had to have all ours recorded live which was just beautiful playing on a grand in an open space ^^
Sounds good! I'd be rather stuck if I had to get people to play mine as I'm the only person in my music class and barely anyone in the school plays string instruments! :smile:
Hello, everybody! I have a huge favour to ask, so I'm hunting out all the GCSE/AS/A Level music boards! I'm studying piano at Trinity Laban (i.e. I'm a uni student studying piano) and I'm looking to make some videos to help as study guide for music students at secondary schools. To get my project off the ground, though, I need to know a couple of things about what would help you most, so I wondered if any of you would mind filling in a quick survey? Nine multiple choice questions, and two are your age and gender, so that shouldn't be too much of a problem. :wink:

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/WPGCV76

Thanks for your help, guys. Now I'm off to trawl through all your syllabuses and work out what to do the videos on...! :wink:

Laters!
Maddie
Reply 96
Hey anyone doing CCEA A2 music? The composition is absolute misery. I got a C in AS And got a B in unit 1 and a C in unit 2. I'm repeating unit 2 in January and doing unit 1 in June.
Hi everyone!

I'm doing A-Level Music, currently doing A2 and I'm doing OCR :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Bump. So my deadlines are in 12 weeks :redface:! I am so scared...!
Yay, just done my mock exam! Really awkward being the only person in the exam and when your chemistry teacher is invigilating! Don't think it went to badly!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending