The Student Room Group

Anyone have any experience with BOA academy?

Hi.
I recently applied to BOA academy to study music and to my surprise, I have been offered a place for year 10! (as they are a selective school based on aptitude workshops)
I really want to attend the school as they have amazing opportunities in the performing arts sector, and I am very passionate about music and pursuing music.
However, I have a few worries

I want to keep my options open to study maths or computer science in the future and I also want to do German, but BOA only has a very select few gcse options and I wouldn't be able to take further maths GCSE, German GCSE or computer science GCSE. I wouldn't mind studying these outside of school (like being tutored or something) because I feel the time I would spend studying these gcses would be worth it so I could attend this school and do the music performances, but I just worry if this would affect my grades or if it would be difficult to find a German/ comp sci / further maths tutor. Another option could be to self teach? Whilst I love music and wish to pursue it as a career I also want to keep my options open to possibly do computer science or maths.

Another worry is that I have seen reviews that the school picked favourites or only offers the performing opportunities to favourite students and that sometimes students get cast aside and don't get these opportunities if they don't fit into a select minority. Since the main reason I'm interested in BOA is because of the performing arts opportunities I don't want to end up not getting any of these opportunities

I'm also worried about extracurriculars and student leadership opportunities there. Ive read in order to get into a good college you need good extracurricular involvement and currently at my school I run 2 clubs, I am a student Librarian, I am a house captain, I am a music mentor (basically like where the year 9s get to teach the year 7s how to play an instrument) and I'm part of 8 clubs (4 of which are music ensembles). My school also hosts yearly competitions like public speaking, acting opportunities, concerts etc. I worry that BOA might not have the same varied extracurriculars as the school day is from 9 to 4 and they did tell me at the workshops when I asked that they only do extracurriculars on a Friday and couldn't name any extracurriculars or ensembles except a chess club. If there aren't any ensembles (like say an orchestra, guitar band, bla bla bla) I worry that these concerts are sort of to do with popularity and whether or not you have friends you can make a band with. I feel like having done lots of extracurriculars and student leadership roles is a really good thing for college applications that I don't want to loose.

I'm also worried about BOAs education in the core subjects. They go on about opportunities in the pathways but don't really tell you much about the core subject's and I don't want to do music at the expense of my other subjects. Can anyone vouch for if their lessons in core subject's are good? They seem to have good GCSE results but I wonder if thats just because they are selective and students are the ones that actually revise and care about their education and not actually because of the school itself?

At BOA there is lots of focus on the performance opportunities side of things but do they actually teach you the things in music lessons so you can end up with a good gcse grade?

In terms of college / uni applications do they see any benefit in going there? As in, does it look more impressive on a college / uni application to have gone there since the school is so selective (only 150 students got in out of 1150 applied) or do they just not bother looking at that sort of stuff?

I also worry about the whole BTEC vs GCSE thing. My concern is that a BTEC might not be adequate preparation to study music as an a level or an IB (since I am considering doing the International baccalaureate at college) and I don't want to do a music BTEC only to not get into a college to do a levels / IB.

Does BOA have any open days I can go to? I went to the one on the 13th of January but it would really help my decision making to actually go into the school whilst there's lessons going on and just see what they do in lessons and what's it's like to attend (since I know they do this in some high schools but not sure if BOA does it?)

I wonder if both schools would agree to me going to BOA part time, such as maybe 4 days at my current school (as at my current school I have picked music gcse, german, comp sci and history) and I just wouldn't do music at my current school and I'd spend the entire day at BOA doing music and then get to do the concerts? As each pathway has 7 hours a week and the school day at boa (except on Fridays) is 7 hours so if i went in for one day at boa I'd be covering my 7 hours pathway time but just wouldn't do core subjects there) I want to ask my current school about the possible options for me but im worried they'll sort of think I dont like the school I'm currently at (when I do) and might not let me do any future student leadership roles. Sounds like a ridiculous idea and probably not possible but just thinking of ideas right now.

Sorry to have written such a long paragraph, I'm really stumped as to whether or not I should go. Any feedback or experience on the school / advice on if I should go would be much appreciated.
Thank you so much
(edited 1 year ago)
is this the one in birmingham? a few people i know go there
Yes the one in Birmingham, its right near Moor Street station
Original post by FearTheRainbow
Hi.I recently applied to BOA academy to study music and to my surprise, I have been offered a place for year 10! (as they are a selective school based on aptitude workshops)I really want to attend the school as they have amazing opportunities in the performing arts sector, and I am very passionate about music and pursuing music.However, I have a few worries
I want to keep my options open to study maths or computer science in the future and I also want to do German, but BOA only has a very select few gcse options and I wouldn't be able to take further maths GCSE, German GCSE or computer science GCSE. I wouldn't mind studying these outside of school (like being tutored or something) because I feel the time I would spend studying these gcses would be worth it so I could attend this school and do the music performances, but I just worry if this would affect my grades or if it would be difficult to find a German/ comp sci / further maths tutor. Another option could be to self teach? Whilst I love music and wish to pursue it as a career I also want to keep my options open to possibly do computer science or maths.
Another worry is that I have seen reviews that the school picked favourites or only offers the performing opportunities to favourite students and that sometimes students get cast aside and don't get these opportunities if they don't fit into a select minority. Since the main reason I'm interested in BOA is because of the performing arts opportunities I don't want to end up not getting any of these opportunities
I'm also worried about extracurriculars and student leadership opportunities there. Ive read in order to get into a good college you need good extracurricular involvement and currently at my school I run 2 clubs, I am a student Librarian, I am a house captain, I am a music mentor (basically like where the year 9s get to teach the year 7s how to play an instrument) and I'm part of 8 clubs (4 of which are music ensembles). My school also hosts yearly competitions like public speaking, acting opportunities, concerts etc. I worry that BOA might not have the same varied extracurriculars as the school day is from 9 to 4 and they did tell me at the workshops when I asked that they only do extracurriculars on a Friday and couldn't name any extracurriculars or ensembles except a chess club. If there aren't any ensembles (like say an orchestra, guitar band, bla bla bla) I worry that these concerts are sort of to do with popularity and whether or not you have friends you can make a band with. I feel like having done lots of extracurriculars and student leadership roles is a really good thing for college applications that I don't want to loose.
I'm also worried about BOAs education in the core subjects. They go on about opportunities in the pathways but don't really tell you much about the core subject's and I don't want to do music at the expense of my other subjects. Can anyone vouch for if their lessons in core subject's are good? They seem to have good GCSE results but I wonder if thats just because they are selective and students are the ones that actually revise and care about their education and not actually because of the school itself?
At BOA there is lots of focus on the performance opportunities side of things but do they actually teach you the things in music lessons so you can end up with a good gcse grade?
In terms of college / uni applications do they see any benefit in going there? As in, does it look more impressive on a college / uni application to have gone there since the school is so selective (only 150 students got in out of 1150 applied) or do they just not bother looking at that sort of stuff?
I also worry about the whole BTEC vs GCSE thing. My concern is that a BTEC might not be adequate preparation to study music as an a level or an IB (since I am considering doing the International baccalaureate at college) and I don't want to do a music BTEC only to not get into a college to do a levels / IB.
Does BOA have any open days I can go to? I went to the one on the 13th of January but it would really help my decision making to actually go into the school whilst there's lessons going on and just see what they do in lessons and what's it's like to attend (since I know they do this in some high schools but not sure if BOA does it?)
I wonder if both schools would agree to me going to BOA part time, such as maybe 4 days at my current school (as at my current school I have picked music gcse, german, comp sci and history) and I just wouldn't do music at my current school and I'd spend the entire day at BOA doing music and then get to do the concerts? As each pathway has 7 hours a week and the school day at boa (except on Fridays) is 7 hours so if i went in for one day at boa I'd be covering my 7 hours pathway time but just wouldn't do core subjects there) I want to ask my current school about the possible options for me but im worried they'll sort of think I dont like the school I'm currently at (when I do) and might not let me do any future student leadership roles. Sounds like a ridiculous idea and probably not possible but just thinking of ideas right now.
Sorry to have written such a long paragraph, I'm really stumped as to whether or not I should go. Any feedback or experience on the school / advice on if I should go would be much appreciated.Thank you so much

Did you make a decision yet? The School you are at sounds like they do a lot of extra curricular activities which you get very involved in, I'm sure this would be a plus in any university or job application. Some universities think more of GCSE and Alevel qualifications rsther than BTEC, but it depends where and what course. Think carefully and make the best decision for your future.
Hi.
I recently applied to BOA academy to study music and to my surprise, I have been offered a place for year 10! (as they are a selective school based on aptitude workshops)
I really want to attend the school as they have amazing opportunities in the performing arts sector, and I am very passionate about music and pursuing music.

Sorry to have written such a long paragraph, I'm really stumped as to whether or not I should go. Any feedback or experience on the school / advice on if I should go would be much appreciated.
Thank you so much

Hello, I understand that it has been 2 weeks since this post was submitted however I feel as if I can give some brief advice as I actually do attend BOA and am currently in Year 12. Firstly, in terms of KS4 education the GCSE results are relatively good however you must obviously put in your own effort during your studies. In terms of future plans and study such as university, you do have the option to leave BOA after Year 11 if you wish to study the traditional 3 A Levels route. BOA offers two A Levels alongside the BTEC however the vast majority of students only do one as the workload across 5 qualifications is extremely unsavoury. For example, I study A Level History with my BTEC and have emailed and enquired with several universities while checking their websites including Manchester, Warwick and Bristol and am eligible to study History and Politics at these unis as that is what I want to do after Year 13. Therefore, I believe the notion of you wanting to study Maths at Uni is very much possible if you do A Level Math at BOA. Computer Science however is a much more competitive course therefore it may need at least 2 A Levels for entry. Therefore, it seems like a more secure academic path is more suitable for you and it would be wise to stick to a Sixth Form/ College after KS4 at BOA, or to skip it as a whole. Furthermore, yes, BOA do not offer any foreign languages outside of GCSEs if I remember correctly. And you should most definitely be allowed to study Music at A Level with the BTEC from BOA, BOA is renowned and well respected in the creative arts and the preparation given to you there will certainly render you capable of doing Music at A Level. Student Leadership Opportunities do feel quite slim but personally I don't go out of my way to interact with these aspects of the school and focus more on extra curricular activities. Lastly, about favouritism and opportunities, it does exist however it is predominantly based on your performance and attitude in your creative subject. If you put in the work and demonstrate passion, you will be rewarded. I hope I answered the majority of your questions but if you have anything else you are welcome to reply.
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 5
Original post by leanbean62
Hello, I understand that it has been 2 weeks since this post was submitted however I feel as if I can give some brief advice as I actually do attend BOA and am currently in Year 12. Firstly, in terms of KS4 education the GCSE results are relatively good however you must obviously put in your own effort during your studies. In terms of future plans and study such as university, you do have the option to leave BOA after Year 11 if you wish to study the traditional 3 A Levels route. BOA offers two A Levels alongside the BTEC however the vast majority of students only do one as the workload across 5 qualifications is extremely unsavoury. For example, I study A Level History with my BTEC and have emailed and enquired with several universities while checking their websites including Manchester, Warwick and Bristol and am eligible to study History and Politics at these unis as that is what I want to do after Year 13. Therefore, I believe the notion of you wanting to study Maths at Uni is very much possible if you do A Level Math at BOA. Computer Science however is a much more competitive course therefore it may need at least 2 A Levels for entry. Therefore, it seems like a more secure academic path is more suitable for you and it would be wise to stick to a Sixth Form/ College after KS4 at BOA, or to skip it as a whole. Furthermore, yes, BOA do not offer any foreign languages outside of GCSEs if I remember correctly. And you should most definitely be allowed to study Music at A Level with the BTEC from BOA, BOA is renowned and well respected in the creative arts and the preparation given to you there will certainly render you capable of doing Music at A Level. Student Leadership Opportunities do feel quite slim but personally I don't go out of my way to interact with these aspects of the school and focus more on extra curricular activities. Lastly, about favouritism and opportunities, it does exist however it is predominantly based on your performance and attitude in your creative subject. If you put in the work and demonstrate passion, you will be rewarded. I hope I answered the majority of your questions but if you have anything else you are welcome to reply.

Hello... My daughter will soon be joining this school for year 8. Please let me know about the studies and other activities at this school. Thank you
I know this is late but for other students looking into boa here's my perspective.
It's a great school for opportunities but it's notoriously known for not having the nicest dynamic regarding students and unless you do fit a certain box you may struggle to enjoy it there. Whether the crazy opportunities over weight that it's an individual decision. The teaching us especially better than if you cone from a poorly funded area. But also I find that coming from a poorly funded area you'll realise how out of touch most of the students are. I was really excited to go there for y12 but it's now more of a case that I'm counting down until the end of y 13 so I can leave and go drama school. That's just my personal experience I'm sure whatever anyone considering boa picks will be a positive one.
Hi.
Thank you so much

It's understandable to worry about finding similar extracurricular opportunities at a new school. You've been very active, and that's commendable! While the new school may have different offerings, consider reaching out to learn more.

Quick Reply

Latest