The Student Room Group

A Level Music Technology

Hey guys, I've just finished my A-Level music technology today and I have some wisdom to share with students choosing to do this A-Level or students currently in Y12.

You're ****ed... Unless you do this stuff in your free time. That is becauseeee the assessments are HELLA goofy, Music Tech is such a vast subject that a lot of things that appear in the exam are not even in the textbooks, furthermore there are barely any past paper resources since the course changed in a major way very recently, all of this means that you will have to rely on practical knowledge from actually producing music of all sorts in your free time. If you are not already a producer and do not intent on being one, do not take A-Level music technology.

Also the BTEC music technology is worth much more UCAS points and is more standardised in actually assessing producing competency by employing the use of coursework valuing creativity and practicality over theoretical knowledge. This is much more suiting to music production as a subject in my opinion so keep this in mind.

If you're in Y12 and have your A-Level next year good luck lol, this subject is still relatively new and the examiners/exam writers are still learning so don't freak out if you see stuff you haven't seen before, you are making the sacrafice as I did for future students so the topic grows to be more effecient and better thought out.
(edited 10 months ago)
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you've posted in the right place? :smile: Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there. :redface:
Reply 2
Original post by _yusufimran
Hey guys, I've just finished my A-Level music technology today and I have some wisdom to share with students choosing to do this A-Level or students currently in Y12.

You're ****ed... Unless you do this stuff in your free time. That is becauseeee the assessments are HELLA goofy, Music Tech is such a vast subject that a lot of things that appear in the exam are not even in the textbooks, furthermore there are barely any past paper resources since the course changed in a major way very recently, all of this means that you will have to rely on practical knowledge from actually producing music of all sorts in your free time. If you are not already a producer and do not intent on being one, do not take A-Level music technology.

Also the BTEC music technology is worth much more UCAS points and is more standardised in actually assessing producing competency by employing the use of coursework valuing creativity and practicality over theoretical knowledge. This is much more suiting to music production as a subject in my opinion so keep this in mind.

If you're in Y12 and have your A-Level next year good luck lol, this subject is still relatively new and the examiners/exam writers are still learning so don't freak out if you see stuff you haven't seen before, you are making the sacrafice as I did for future students so the topic grows to be more effecient and better thought out.

But, the written assessment is such a small proportion of the final grade

Quick Reply

Latest