The Student Room Group

The Sci-Fi/Fantasy Geeks Society

Scroll to see replies

Reply 180
bullyfish
Who was Ender Wiggin from your first choice however?

From the (fantastic) book Ender's Game
bullyfish
Who was Ender Wiggin from your first choice however?

Main character of Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card. Without doubt one of the best sci-fi's I've ever read. Ender's Game itself describes Ender's character and the way that he thinks through things and processes them so well that he is one of the most 'real' characters I've ever met!
p00p
From the (fantastic) book Ender's Game

Thanks! :king1:
Reply 183
The rest of the series was a bit crap though :smile:
p00p
The rest of the series was a bit crap though :smile:

I disagree with you there. Parts of it weren't as good. But the books in it that were fantastic, were fantastic for completely different reasons than Ender's Game was. For example, Shadow of the Hegemon (well I suppose that was a diff series; Ender's Shadow..etc) Shadow of the Hegemon was fantastic from a political angle. I found it very insightful, and it opened up the world he created in a completely different way. I loved it. Also Bean in Ender's Shadow was a brilliant character. Achilles was a bit.. odd.
And in Shadow Puppets I thought it was making some very interesting points and challenges towards society. Not all of them were as good, but I enjoyed several of the others immensely.
Ooo, looks interesting. May check it out when I finish the wheel of time... (just brought book 1, so might be a while :p:)
Reply 186
bullyfish
(just brought book 1, so might be a while :p:)

A very, very long while :biggrin:

Congrats, BTW! I've got a hunch you'll enjoy it! :smile: And now at least you'll know who Mat Cauthon is!
bullyfish
Ooo, looks interesting. May check it out when I finish the wheel of time... (just brought book 1, so might be a while :p:)

Its definitely worth your time. I've read so many books, and that is actually one of the best I've ever read! :cool:
Reply 188
Craghyrax
I disagree with you there. Parts of it weren't as good. But the books in it that were fantastic, were fantastic for completely different reasons than Ender's Game was. For example, Shadow of the Hegemon (well I suppose that was a diff series; Ender's Shadow..etc) Shadow of the Hegemon was fantastic from a political angle. I found it very insightful, and it opened up the world he created in a completely different way. I loved it. Also Bean in Ender's Shadow was a brilliant character. Achilles was a bit.. odd.
And in Shadow Puppets I thought it was making some very interesting points and challenges towards society. Not all of them were as good, but I enjoyed several of the others immensely.

I mean the other books in The Ender Saga, they got progessively worse. Xenocide and Children of the Mind were just...boring. I didn't care about Jane, I didn't care about The Path, Lusitatia and the descolada. Then in the last book, Ender turns into a god-like figure, and deus ex machina's his way out of every problem....ZzzzzzZz

They put me off reading The Shadow Saga, but I've heard that it is quite good. I might get Ender's Shadow and see what it's like.
p00p
I mean the other books in The Ender Saga, they got progessively worse. Xenocide and Children of the Mind were just...boring. I didn't care about Jane, I didn't care about The Path, Lusitatia and the descolada. Then in the last book, Ender turns into a god-like figure, and deus ex machina's his way out of every problem....ZzzzzzZz

They put me off reading The Shadow Saga, but I've heard that it is quite good. I might get Ender's Shadow and see what it's like.

Judging from the things you've just mention, I think you'd enjoy the Shadow Saga much more. And I do see what you mean about the rest of Ender Saga. (Personally; the descolada was one of the things that helped nudge me into my present chosen career path: to go into Biological Sciences..lol) But yeh, the Shadow Saga weren't boring in the slightest, and they stand out in my mind looking back, as strongly as Ender's Game does. :cool:
I'm ok with what you guys decide, so go for it!
Reply 191
Demon_AS
I'm ok with what you guys decide, so go for it!

*looks confused*

You want us to decide your favourite sci/fantasy character?
jayk_bakner
*looks confused*

I think he was probally talking about the logo....
jayk_bakner
*looks confused*

Lol sorry, I meant the logo. My favourite character? It's not easy to choose... it's a battle between FitzChivalry Farseer (Robin Hobb) or Corran Horn (Star Wars) :biggrin:.
Demon_AS
it's a battle between FitzChivalry Farseer (Robin Hobb) or Corran Horn (Star Wars) :biggrin:.

Corran Horn? That's quite an interesting choice for Star Wars! :cool:
What can I say? I'm an interesting kind of guy :p:. Read the X-Wing series, followed by I, Jedi, followed by the New Jedi Order books... that will tell you like nothing else why I prefer him over the likes of Luke Skywalker etc.
Reply 196
jayk_bakner

Favourite sci-fi/fantasy character?!?!?! (bit basic, but I've got a headache...)

Will explain after I've got some painkillers (or a subsantial amount of alcohol) inside my gut.

My all time favourite character from the fantasy genre has got to be Artemis Fowl(BTW, that's the crappiest character description ever). I suggest you read the books if you haven't already, they're brilliantly imaginative and witty. I suppose the concept of a story focusing on an anti-hero rather than the cliched noble and self sacrificing individual really appealed to me.

From the sci-fi genre, I think Hoban 'Wash' Washburne from Firefly is pretty damn awesome. His sense of humour is great :biggrin:

Jayk, we all hope you're feeling better. :eek:
Reply 197
yo-less
Jayk, we all hope you're feeling better. :eek:

Ta! Feeling much better today!

Good choices on the characters, BTW.

Spoiler concerning Firefly and Serenity

jayk_bakner

Spoiler concerning Firefly and Serenity

Spoiler

Reply 199
Darkened Angel
I'm not too sure if they're going to make the new series at all. It'd be great for it to be continued.

Well, Joss has said that once he's finished with Wonder Woman and Goners, he'll be writing some comic books that will pick up from where the Serenity left off. So that'll be excellent, as the current set - Those Left Behind - are actually pretty good, and have the feel of an additional episode of Firefly!

Quick Reply

Latest