The Student Room Group

Winter 2024 Anime Preview

Welcome to yet another anime season preview thread! Autumn 2023 has given us some fantastic series to end this year with, but what sort of start can we expect from 2024? Click the expand tags in the posts below to find out!

(These series are all due to start airing in the first few weeks of January. If you're looking for something to watch between now and then, maybe check last season's preview thread for some ideas!)

All info has been sourced from AniChart, AniDB, YouTube and MAL. If you think I've missed any upcoming, full-length TV anime off this list, let me know and I'll look into them. :smile:

Scroll to see replies

30-sai made Doutei dato Mahoutsukai ni Nareru Rashii

Akuyaku Reijou Level 99: Watashi wa Ura-Boss desu ga Maou dewa Arimasen

Ao no Exorcist: Shimane Illuminati-hen

Boku no Kokoro no Yabai Yatsu Season 2

Bucchigiri?!

Cardfight!! Vanguard: Divinez

Chiyu Mahou no Machigatta Tsukaikata

Dosanko Gal wa Namara Menkoi

Dungeon Meshi

Gekai Elise

Gekkan Mousou Kagaku

High Card S2

Hikari no Ou S2

Hime-sama, Goumon no Jikan Desu

Isekai de Mofumofu Nadenade suru Tame ni Ganbattemasu.

Ishura

Jaku-Chara Tomozaki-kun 2nd Stage

Kekkon Yubiwa Monogatari

Kingdom Season 5

Kyuujitsu no Warumono-san

Loop 7-kaime no Akuyaku Reijou wa, Moto Tekikoku de Jiyuu Kimama na Hanayome Seikatsu wo Mankitsu suru

Mahou Shoujo ni Akogarete

Majo to Yajuu

Mashle S2

(edited 4 months ago)

Mato Seihei no Slave

Meiji Gekken: 1874

Metallic Rouge

Momochi-san Chi no Ayakashi Ouji

Nozomanu Fushi no Boukensha

Ore dake Level Up na Ken

Oroka na Tenshi wa Akuma to Odoru

Pon no Michi

Saijaku Tamer wa Gomi Hiroi no Tabi wo Hajimemashita.

Saikyou Tank no Meikyuu Kouryaku: Tairyoku 9999 no Rare Skill-mochi Tank, Yuusha Party wo Tsuihou sareru

Sasaki to Pii-chan

Sengoku Youko

Shaman King: Flowers

Shin no Nakama ja Nai to Yuusha no Party wo Oidasareta node, Henkyou de Slow Life suru Koto ni Shimashita 2nd

Snack Basue

Sokushi Cheat ga Saikyou sugite, Isekai no Yatsura ga Marude Aite ni Naranai n desu ga.

Synduality: Noir Part 2

Tsuki ga Michibiku Isekai Douchuu 2nd Season

Urusei Yatsura (2022) 2nd Season

Youkoso Jitsuryoku Shijou Shugi no Kyoushitsu e 3rd Season

Yubisaki to Renren

Yuuki Bakuhatsu Bang Bravern

(edited 4 months ago)
Watching:

Dungeon Meshi

Yubisaki to Renren

High Card S2

Metallic Rouge

Majo to Yajuu

Ishura

Bucchigiri?!

Hikari no Ou S2

Dropped:

Gekkan Mousou Kagaku
(edited 3 months ago)
Updated trailer for Synduality: Noir Part 2~

Finally the winter season! :snowman: I will enter this thread now and then to see what animes are released and your opinions to them are.
(edited 4 months ago)
Original post by AngryJellyfish
My *tentative* want to watch list:

High Card S2

Hikari no Ou S2

Dungeon Meshi

Metallic Rouge

Yubisaki to Renren

Hime-sama, "Goumon" no Jikan Desu

Gekkan Mousou Kagaku

Ishura

Bucchigiri?!

And which of those animes is currently your top favorite on your watch list and why?
Original post by Kallisto
And which of those animes is currently your top favorite on your watch list and why?

In terms of the ones I'm looking forward to most in January, probably:

1. Ao no Exorcist
2. Dungeon Meshi
3. Metallic Rouge

(In actual fact, my want to watch lists before the season begins are always arranged in my order of 'most excited' to 'least excited', only with the sequels bunched together on top and the new shows below).
(edited 4 months ago)
Are there any good adult slice of life animas?
Original post by Little pecker
Are there any good adult slice of life animas?

As in adult cast? I can't vouch for whether its any good before it's aired, but Yubisaki to Renren (A Sign of Affection) would probably be your best bet this season.
(edited 3 months ago)
Let the winter 2023 anime season begin!

Mahou Shoujo ni Akogarete (Gushing over Magical Girls) [content warning: nudity, sexual content]

Hiiragi Utena is an average schoolgirl, who admires and longs to be like the local trio of magical girls who protect her town from monstrous villains. And it seems her chance has finally arrived, after a chibi mascot character scouts her! Unfortunately, he kept quiet about the fact that he works for the bad guys... so now Utena does too, under threat of blackmail. Her new powers include a transformation scene into an embarrassing skimpy outfit, and a whip that transforms anything it strikes into a monster. Though initially reluctant to fight her three magical girl idols, new feelings begin to awaken inside her, and she soon starts to enjoy her new role.

This was a LOT more explicit than I was expecting. Detailed uncensored transformation scenes, changing scenes, and BDSM sexual assault with tentacles and tickling. Animation quality certainly ramped up during those scenes, it was nothing special the rest of the time. Characters didn't stand out, existing purely for fanservice and dark comedy. I don't think this is for me!

Official HIDIVE link: https://www.hidive.com/tv/gushing-over-magical-girls
Ishura [content warning: explicit violence]

In a fantasy world where the Demon King has died, Yuno enjoys a peaceful life. That is, until the 'Great Labyrinth', a large building which dates back to that age of fear, gets up and starts to move. Turns out it's a giant robot, which vaporizes half the city with a death beam, then spawns an army of smaller bots to kill the survivors! After seeing her crush die in front of her, Yuno is prepared to accept her own death... but is saved at the last minute by a 'Visitor' from our world: Soujirou, a descendant of the famous Yagyuu clan, who slices the mechs to pieces using a chipped katana. But is he truly a hero, or was he responsible for the disaster to begin with? Having lost all other reason to live, Yuno leads Soujirou to a place where other powerful warriors gather - in hopes of getting him killed.

Argh, an isekai series slipped under my radar and onto my list! Like the season needed another one... Anyway, this was BRUTAL. Very explicit violence and gore, not for the squeamish. Animation quality was dubious, a lot of effort was clearly put in to *try* and make the action scenes look good, but the CG was very clunky. It's edgy and OTT enough that it might fall into 'so bad, it's good' territory though, so I'll add it to my maybe list for now. [EDIT] Picked up, on the strength of its second episode!

Official Disney+ link: https://www.disneyplus.com/en-gb/series/ishura/hQ0p1WPHHQmZ

(Oh, and Disney+ are still only offering Closed Caption subs in English for their anime offerings, it seems)
(edited 3 months ago)
Hi @AngryJellyfish!

We are in 2024 and I wonder whether you have already some favorite animes for the winter season.
Original post by Kallisto
Hi @AngryJellyfish!

We are in 2024 and I wonder whether you have already some favorite animes for the winter season.

It's gotten off to a very rough start, so far! I've got high hopes for Dungeon Meshi (Delicious in Dungeon), which I should have time to watch later tonight, but neither of the two I've already posted about above were great.
Dungeon Meshi (Delicious in Dungeon)

A group of adventurers fall afoul of a red dragon, deep in the dungeon. Spellcaster Falin is able to teleport the rest of the party to safety, but she herself is eaten. This isn't such a big deal in a world where revival spells exist, but they still have to bring her body back first, so fighter Laios, mage Marcille and lockpicker Chilchuck head straight back in; unfortunately, they haven't got the time or money to stock up on food supplies. Laios suggests they eat the plants and monsters found in the dungeon itself... and it soon becomes apparent this is something he's wanted to try long before it became a necessity. Joined by a dwarf with a decade of experience in dungeon cuisine, they will fight, eat, and maybe one day remember Falin and their main quest.

I'm not usually a big fan of gourmet anime - I'd rather eat food myself than watch others eating! But this has some good comedy, likable characters (especially Marcille, the only one who seems remotely against eating this stuff), and amazing production values. Animation is superb, character designs are lovely, music was also brilliant. All I hope is that it doesn't get too repetitive, since it's going to be 24 episodes long!

Official Netflix link: https://www.netflix.com/title/81564899
Yubisaki to Renren (A Sign of Affection)

Main character Yuki is a university student, who was born Deaf. One day, she is approached by a foreigner on a train, and has no easy way of communicating with him - fortunately, fellow student Itsuomi sees her predicament and helps the guy out. After that, it is Itsuomi that strikes up a conversation with Yuki, with her lip reading and replying by text. Yuki notices his attempts (if awkward) to make his lip movements easier to understand, and quickly develops a crush. Hoping to meet him again, she asks mutual friend Rin about him; turns out Rin also has a crush, on the manager at Itsuomi's part time cafe bar job! The two agree to go there together, with the goal of getting their crushes' contact details.

Romance isn't usually my genre, but I already love this series, it's so adorable. The character designs, animation and colours used are really cute. Pacing-wise, things are moving along quite quickly already! Yuki being Deaf and Itsuomi being multilingual means that communication will no doubt be a running theme. The fact that Itsuomi doesn't have much respect for her personal space is the only concern, but she does address this during her inner monologues - hopefully she'll be able to communicate that soon.

Official Crunchyroll link: https://www.crunchyroll.com/series/GEXH3W2V7/a-sign-of-affection
(edited 3 months ago)
My first sequel of the season! As usual, I'll keep my thoughts on these a bit more brief.

Ao no Exorcist: Shimane Illuminati-hen (Blue Exorcist: Shimane Illuminati Saga)

When one of Okumura Rin's classmates develops the ability to see demons, despite having no signs of a temptaint wound, Rin sees a chance to help him out and make a new friend. He turns to Mephisto for advice, but while the principal does indeed have a cure, he wants Rin to carry out a task for him first. Our protagonist also learns a surprising fact about Mephisto... though one that was blatantly obvious to everyone else! This was a solid reintroductory episode, featuring all the main cast and reminding us of their powers and relationships, which is just what I needed after 7 years. Picked up! :biggrin:

Official Crunchyroll link: https://www.crunchyroll.com/series/G649PJ0JY/blue-exorcist
(edited 3 months ago)
High Card S2

X-Playing Cards grant those who possess them extraordinary abilities. The royal family wants them back, and the organisation High Card has been tasked with retrieving them from their wielders... though few of those people are willing to give up their new powers! To make matters worse, the mafia are also after the full set. This reintroductory episode saw Finn and Chris reunited, this time with ranks reversed, which made for some fun interactions. However, the mysterious Dark Knight from Finn's nightmares also made an appearance. No complaints about this episode, it served as a solid recap of all the players in this game.

Official Crunchyroll link: https://www.crunchyroll.com/series/G8DHV74W5/high-card

At the end of S1, we learned that the magus Noir was in fact in 'safe mode', after her alter ego known as Mystere woke up and defeated the Silver Storm. Now that the fighting is over, Mystere is frustrated at the state of human civilisation since the fall of Amasia, and would gladly switch places with Noir again... but she doesn't know how. In the meantime, Kanata takes her to the various places he visited with Noir, to show her that their present life isn't so bad. Mystere is Noir's complete opposite personality-wise, so it was fun to see the differences in her reactions to things! Not the most exciting episode of the season, but I'm interested enough in their story to keep watching for another series. :smile:

Official Disney+ link: https://www.disneyplus.com/en-gb/series/synduality-noir/6Wyhb8bQ9XDr
(edited 2 months ago)
Metallic Rouge

Set on a futuristic Mars, where humans live alongside androids known as Nean. Most of these Nean are distinguishable from humans by their visible circuitry. They also require regular injections of 'nectar', in order to stay functional. Our main character is Rouge, a seemingly normal girl who works as a helper for the famous singer Sara Fitzgerald. However, Rouge is actually a well disguised Nean assassin, tasked with taking down a group of dangerous Nean known as the 'Immortal Nine', who are not bound by Azimov's laws of robotics and can harm humans! Also assigned to help her on this mission is an investigator named Naomi. But is Sara one of the Nine they are looking for?

...I'll be honest, I wouldn't have been able to follow the plot even that far without the help of the synopsis! We don't know a thing about the motives for either Rouge's employers or the Immortal Nine, which are the 'good guys' or whether both sides are more murky than that. What I will say is, the music and animation were breathtaking. Definitely intrigued me enough to pick it up, hopefully there's a decent plot waiting to develop too.

Official Crunchyroll link: https://www.crunchyroll.com/series/G24H1NWMJ/metallic-rouge

Quick Reply

Latest