The Student Room Group

The Sci-Fi/Fantasy Geeks Society

Scroll to see replies

Does "X-Files" count as Sci-Fi?
If so, I've gotta be the biggest geek out there, I ADORE that show.

Haha, nah, I'd not say I'm a geek but I do love it. Lots.
jayk_bakner
Bah! DA, you're complaining after getting 10 seasons! That's...*taps on his calculator* over 150 hours of goodness!

Just think how I feel, with my fave show only getting 1/2 a season and a movie (totalling in at just about 12.5 hours...)! You 'Gaters have all the luck!!

*goes and sits in the corner, muttering angrily about Fox*

EDIT: Apologies for the slightly callous post :redface:

Also, wasn't SG1 cancelled due to poor ratings once before, around season 4 or 5? If it got renewed back then, it's probable that it'll get renewed again :biggrin: I've been watching SG1 reruns on Sky One and I have to admit, they're quite entertaining, so I am a little dissapointed! :frown:

I dont have time to catch up on all the posts but the recent news is, SG1 has deffinately been dropped but the producers want it to carry on, they just need a new channel to pick it up so there's still hope.
As I'm also bummed about Firefly, I like that more than SG1 suprisingly enough.
Reply 782
spookystarbuck
Does "X-Files" count as Sci-Fi?
If so, I've gotta be the biggest geek out there, I ADORE that show.

Haha, nah, I'd not say I'm a geek but I do love it. Lots.

Yep it does! God...I haven't watched X-Files for AGES! I kinda went off it when Mulder buggered off, and never got back into it :redface: D'you like other kinds of sci-fi? Or is it limited to X-Files :biggrin:

Darkened Angel
I dont have time to catch up on all the posts but the recent news is, SG1 has deffinately been dropped but the producers want it to carry on, they just need a new channel to pick it up so there's still hope.

Bah. That does indeed suck.
simatemcprimate
How can they end SG1 mid season?

They haven't, they're going to air it till the end of S10, then drop it. SGA's been renewed though.
I'd better get into SGA then!
SciFi's just being ridiculous now! This is the reason why they dropped SG1-

Daily Variety
August 22, 2006 Tuesday

HEADLINE: Sci Fi's 'Stargate' swinging closed
BYLINE: JOHN DEMPSEY and BEN FRITZ

BODY:
"Stargate: SG-1," the longest-running science-fiction series in TV history, has finally reached the end of its journey, going out of production after the final episodes of its 10-year run are completed.

Ratings for the series' original runs had fallen off from 2.55 million total viewers (Jan. 21-March 25, 2005) to 1.95 million in the current cycle (July 14-Aug. 18) on the Sci Fi Channel. But the series was still racking up a solid 1.13 million adults 25-54 and 1.02 million adults 18-49 during the last eight weeks.

The cancellation "was not a ratings-driven decision," said Mark Stern, exec VP of original programming for the Sci Fi Channel. "We're actually going out on a high note," he said, as the net has given the production staff enough time to usher the series to a conclusion tying up all the loose ends.

Stern said Sci Fi plans to use some of the cast members of "SG-1" on the successful "Stargate: Atlantis" sequel, now in its third season and still going strong.

While it's transitioning off the air, "Stargate" is moving into Internet downloads for the first time.

MGM made a deal with Apple to start selling episodes of both "Stargate: SG-1" and "Stargate: Atlantis" on Monday. Studio put up several library episodes of each skein, and it will post new episodes for sale the day after they air on Sci Fi.

Deal for Internet downloads is the first MGM has made with its vast TV library.

"SG-1" had an unusual history, starting off as an original series on Showtime, where it ran for five years (1997-02). Simultaneously, Sci Fi Channel was playing the reruns of "SG-1" five times a week.

When Showtime canceled "SG-1" in 2002, Sci Fi decided to keep it in production. Throughout all of these years, producer-distributor MGM-TV was pocketing additional revenues by selling from "SG-1" in weekend off-net syndication.

As late as 2000-01, "SG-1" was averaging a solid 2.8 household rating in rerun syndication, with a 1.9 rating in adults 18-49. During the last year, its household rating in syndication has slipped to a 1.6, consistent with the overall decline in syndicated sci-fi action hours.

Sci Fi Channel is well stocked with original series. In addition to "Stargate: Atlantis," net schedules two successful original scripted series, "Battlestar Galactica" and "Eureka." A new scripted series, "The Dresden Files," produced by Nicolas Cage's company, kicks off in January.

This is pathetic! SciFi's going to ruin SGA!!! They cant move the SG1 characters over, SGA has enough as it is!! :mad: The only hope left is for another channel to pick up both SG1 and SGA, but what if that affects the shows budget and the number of viewers? :frown: Stargate's doomed :frown:
Reply 786
*watches tumbleweed roll past*

Okay, I'm going to pounce on something in the article DA quoted... :biggrin:
Daily Variety, 22/08/06
A new scripted series, "The Dresden Files," produced by Nicolas Cage's company, kicks off in January.

I did a bit of digging (mostly on Wikipedia), and this actually looks incredibly interesting. It's apparently a detective show with twist, in that it melds a fantastical world with our own to produce a fairly unique setting.

It's got me fairly interested, because I played a game of d20 Modern (not dissimilar to Dungeons and Dragons) that had exactly the same kind of setting, and I'm kinda interested in how it'll be visualised by the producers!

Also, a side note, it's based on a series of novels; so has anyone read any of them?
*Watches Jayk_Bakner's body fly back with the shock of a burst from Darkened Angel's stun-gun* :wink:
Jayk Bakner
Also, a side note, it's based on a series of novels; so has anyone read any of them?

I've heard of them...(the books I mean)
No more stargate!? :eek:!!
Reply 790
Craghyrax
*Watches Jayk_Bakner's body fly back with the shock of a burst from Darkened Angel's stun-gun* :wink:

Hey, hey, hey!

Lose the underscore, lady! :smile: And I was merely commenting on the fact that no-one had posted anything for almost a day, not on DA's post! :biggrin:

And also, for your information, I fly UP when hit by a stun-gun, then slump back down. It REALLY hurts!!! And I'm not kidding, either!
Jayk Bakner
It REALLY hurts!!! And I'm not kidding, either!

Good!!! It'll teach you to change the subject while I'm having an emotional breakdown! :hmmm:
Reply 792
Sorry :bawling:
Jayk Bakner
Sorry :bawling:

Serves you right!

only kidding :p: *hugs you* dont cry over me, cry over stargate! :rolleyes:
Reply 794
Yeah, I'm progresively getting more gutted... I've been watching Season 7 (and the finale of Season 6), and I have to say it's growing on me!
Did everyone watch tonight's episode of Eureka! I love the plot twists in it!
Jayk Bakner
Hey, hey, hey!

Lose the underscore, lady! :smile: And I was merely commenting on the fact that no-one had posted anything for almost a day, not on DA's post! :biggrin:

And also, for your information, I fly UP when hit by a stun-gun, then slump back down. It REALLY hurts!!! And I'm not kidding, either!

:redface:
Ok... Well, I'll endeavour to describe your demise with more technical precision in the future :wink:
Reply 797
simatemcprimate
Did everyone watch tonight's episode of Eureka! I love the plot twists in it!

Indeed. I have to say that whilst the script was still as sharp as ever, the story was a bit weak...

Spoiler

Still, it hasn't lowered my opinion of the whole thing, as it can go nowhere but up next week!

Craghyrax
:redface:
Ok... Well, I'll endeavour to describe your demise with more technical precision in the future :wink:

So you should! Or else! :wink: :biggrin:
Reply 798
1 on 1 with Dirk from Battlestar Galactica!! how can you resist? http://www.universal-playback.com/battlestar/
BSG might follow SG1's fate pretty soon, the SciFi channel doesn't want to space-based shows anymore, it's looking more into the fantasy shows including the following-

The Triangle
Legend of Earthsea
Tremors: The Series
Painkiller Jane
Dark Kingdom: The Dragon King
Dragon Dynasty
Dragon Sword
Warehouse 13
The Lost Room
Ghost Hunters
The Dresden Files
Eureka
Who Wants To Be A Superhero?

It doesnt want Stargate anymore, thats why it hasn't been advertising it hence the low veiwer ratings. Gorram that channel!

Quick Reply

Latest