The Student Room Group

TSR & Its Moderators.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Mad Vlad
We can influence, but it's the Community Team that make the decision.

Why not just do it?Mods are always saying that religion is a subject that WILL be debated in other forums(if the religion forum is removed,that is).But,you dont have anything to back that statement.
Reply 61
Original post by Extremotroph
It's because the mods have bought into the "Islam and muslims are a threat to your way of life".

That's rubbish, I'm Muslim myself.
It's because the mods have bought into the "Islam and muslims are a threat to your way of life".

As someone who has hand-translated the Quran, I take serious issue with your assumption. I have an abundant personal and mechanical respect for the Islamic community on this site, and have always defended them both as a regular user and as a moderator when the need arises. I have extended the same to almost all beliefs in my time, including atheism.

There are also numerous mechanics in place that would prevent the moderation team ever abusing the system like that. It may feel like that at times, but I assure you it's just not the case and never will be. We are heavily impartial to the debates we moderate.

Original post by economist2
Why not just do it?Mods are always saying that religion is a subject that WILL be debated in other forums(if the religion forum is removed,that is).But,you dont have anything to back that statement.

Other than the endless stream of posts we move to the religion forum reguarly that are posted in the other areas of the site? Or the endless references to religion in almost every debate? I mean what are we doing right now? This isn't the religion section of the site.. :lol:

The irony is strong in this post.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by usycool1
That's rubbish, I'm Muslim myself.

You are one mod of many. Are you trying to tell me that you, a muslim, represent all mods?

I must admit and apologise for generalising.
Reply 64
It's the religious debate forum, not the religious 'lets all get along and chat and have tea and such and such' forum.

Also: Any idiot who wants to seriously get rid of the religion forum because it's a debate forum isn't mature enough to be on here.
Plus, Muslims aren't a race, so no, there isn't a ton of racism in the forum :rolleyes:
Original post by Hal.E.Lujah
As someone who has hand-translated the Quran, I take serious issue with your assumption. I have an abundant personal and mechanical respect for the Islamic community on this site, and have always defended them both as a regular user and as a moderator when the need arises. I have extended the same to almost all beliefs in my time, including atheism.

There are also numerous mechanics in place that would prevent the moderation team ever abusing the system like that. It may feel like that at times, but I assure you it's just not the case and never will be. We are heavily impartial to the debates we moderate.

I'm afraid I simply can't believe what you say until I myself become a moderator and have seen the processes for myself. A highly unlikely scenario.

Now, with regards to the final sentence of the post you quoted, is it something you disagree with? Do you think that such a level of jew bashing/baiting is acceptable?

Imagine if all the muslim bashing threads were replaced with Judaism/Jew bashing threads. This place would be akin to stormfront.

Please do link me to one of these Muslim bashing threads; I shall happily report it.
is it something you disagree with? Do you think that such a level of jew bashing/baiting is acceptable?

Obviously no 'bashing' is acceptable. That much is obvious. The fact that it doesn't get reported isn't something you can blame us for I'm afraid, moan at other users of the forum if that is your gripe.
Original post by Autistic Merit
Please do link me to one of these Muslim bashing threads; I shall happily report it.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2544179

Read over the discussion between myself and HenryKissinger. Argue for him where he has failed.
Reply 69
You know what, you've made a suggestion, and I'll respond to it.

The moderator/mcdonalds metaphor doesnt work. For example, I have absolutely no moderator powers in the religion forum you've described. I'm a normal user there, I'm just a moderator to the study help and more recently the chat section. So yes, it would be fair for me to say 'I can't change the oil there' because it isn't possible.

Because you don't like the religion section doesn't mean you have to go in it. It's a place where users discuss things, and if things are reported they will always be handled. I don't see how the religion forum has anything different to the rest of the site in that way, other than the fact that you take personal offence to people having different opinions to you.

We always appreciate reports. Even the reports that aren't breaking the rules. It's like asking whether sometimes you like to be blind or not - it's just vision that we rely on and don't have without the support of site users.

OK, thanks. By the way, what is this? War of the mods or is it a troll?

Attachment not found
Reply 70
Original post by economist2

Have you ever watched the film "Jarhead"?

Suggested techniques for the Marine to use in the avoidance of boredom and loneliness: Masturbation. Rereading of letters from unfaithful wives and girlfriends. Cleaning your rifle. Further masturbation. Rewiring Walkman. Arguing about religion and meaning of life. Discussing in detail, every woman the Marine has ever ****ed. Debating differences, such as Cuban vs. Mexican, Harleys vs. Hondas, left- vs. right-handed masturbation. Further cleaning of rifle. Studying of Filipino mail order bride catalog. Further masturbation. Planning of Marine's first meal on return home. Imagining what the Marine's girlfriend and her man Jody are doing in the hay, or in the alley, or in a hotel bed.

I think you'll agree, this is an authoritative source.
Obviously no 'bashing' is acceptable. That much is obvious. The fact that it doesn't get reported isn't something you can blame us for I'm afraid, moan at other users of the forum if that is your gripe.

I'm not blaming the moderators for anything, I'm just making simple observations. I cannot blame the moderators for the actions of some troll.

Yes I do "moan at other users" and subsequently receive a card or my posts disappear, despite the fact I tell the simple truth.
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2544179

Read over the discussion between myself and HenryKissinger. Argue for him where he has failed.

I disagree with almost everything he says, however, I can't find any rules he has broken. He hasn't been offensive, not by the TSR definition anyway.
Original post by Mad Vlad
Have you ever watched the film "Jarhead"?

I think you'll agree, this is an authoritative source.

no.
Reply 74
Original post by Gjaykay
It's the religious debate forum, not the religious 'lets all get along and chat and have tea and such and such' forum.

Also: Any idiot who wants to seriously get rid of the religion forum because it's a debate forum isn't mature enough to be on here.
Plus, Muslims aren't a race, so no, there isn't a ton of racism in the forum :rolleyes:

Where did you get Muslims being a race from... LOL
Original post by Autistic Merit
I disagree with almost everything he says, however, I can't find any rules he has broken. He hasn't been offensive, not by the TSR definition anyway.

I will quote you on that thread so as not to derail this one.
Reply 76
Original post by 0xygen
OK, thanks. By the way, what is this? War of the mods or is it a troll?

Attachment not found

Dude... seriously. If you want to complain about cards you've received, this isn't the place.

This is: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=266
Original post by 0xygen

Just the usual PC get out of jail free card to excuse his bigotry.
Reply 78
Original post by 0xygen

Like half a dozen people in the thread.

Anyway OP, if you don't like it, don't click it on it.
And I think people here or the Mods or a combination are incredibly trigger happy when it comes to reporting people and giving out cards for the slightest things and such.

Other than the endless stream of posts we move to the religion forum reguarly that are posted in the other areas of the site? Or the endless references to religion in almost every debate? I mean what are we doing right now? This isn't the religion section of the site.. :lol:

The irony is strong in this post.

This thread isnt about religion.It was aimed at the mods.So... Suggestion TSR & Its Moderators...
Not very ironic...

I'm just saying you cant know until you've tried.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending