The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Mathsfanatic123
I am excited to find people who do the same alevel combo as me as not many do like science and a language, only one in the school who does physics and french, yeah I doubt I will do an EPQ AS they don't offer it at my school, also I did awful in my mocks due to no revision and that is my priority now!
Thank you!
Likewise,feel free to PM me anytime, with regards to any of your subjects, out of interest what exam boards are you(looking for a revision/motivation buddy haha)

I'm number 3 :tongue:

Science linguist here :colone:
Original post by L'Evil Fish

Haha, exception here is you guys are way more talented than I, (mocks have left me unbelievably demoralized.) It would be so cool if we all ended up at the same uni though, we could talk to each other in french, haha, oh and as a polyglot I am surprised arabic is not on your list of languages you know-unless I am mistaken.

Checked your profile,I believe I was mistaken:colondollar:
(edited 10 years ago)

Haha, exception here is you guys are way more talented than I, (mocks have left me unbelievably demoralized.) It would be so cool if we all ended up at the same uni though, we could talk to each other in french, haha, oh and as a polyglot I am surprised arabic is not on your list of languages you know-unless I am mistaken.

You guys, and one at my school, are the only ones I know! That would be insane! Are we all going for maths? I'm doing AQA for all of my subjects- easy to remember!
Original post by k_slatch
You guys, and one at my school, are the only ones I know! That would be insane! Are we all going for maths? I'm doing AQA for all of my subjects- easy to remember!

No way, same here I do AQA for all, and I think 'fish ' guy haha, wants to study natural science!
I just got my offer for Computer Science w/ Maths ( :biggrin: ), so if anybody wants to ask anything, go ahead :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
No way, same here I do AQA for all, and I think 'fish ' guy haha, wants to study natural science!

That's awesome! Let's be buddies :tongue:
IS THIS TRUE?
Course: MML (probably French and Spanish)
College: Literally no clue
IGCSES: 10 A* 3 sciences, Maths, 2 Englishes, French, Spanish and Latin, Geography
AS Levels: French, Spanish, Economics and Maths. School don't allow any more!!!!!!
Extra stuff : Doing a work experience in Spain this half term :smile: extra reading (just finished my first French book; L'Etranger :smile: ) Help out in language clinics and am about to start a French Literature club after school. DofE Silver and going to enter the Canning House essay, although it sounds impossible. Thinking of doing an EPQ in the summer but not sure I could motivate myself to do a 5000 word essay... Do you think they'll reject me because of a lack of English/History? And does anyone know what the flags in the flag system are?
That's awesome! Let's be buddies :tongue:

Unbelievably excited now, no one I know(at school) does the same a levels, so I always revise differenct things with different people, it would great to compare notes/and where we are up to in revision etc. Btw I don't think you know what you have gotten yourself into:colone::bban:.

Yeah Arabic I want to learn. I can only read it :frown:

That's awesome! Let's be buddies :tongue: IS THIS TRUE?

I'm NatSci but will be choosing as much maths as I can :smile:
Unbelievably excited now, no one I know(at school) does the same a levels, so I always revise differenct things with different people, it would great to compare notes/and where we are up to in revision etc. Btw I don't think you know what you have gotten yourself into:colone::bban:.

Hahaha I'm excited too!
I'm NatSci but will be choosing as much maths as I can :smile:

Disappointed.. thought we'd be three Mathmos together! (I was actually considering NatSci but I'm 95% sure I'm going Maths)
Yeah Arabic I want to learn. I can only read it :frown:

I can speak it fluently, did it at gcse and as, but if I am honest, I speak slang Arabic(Libyan dialect) at home haha. I think reading is probably the hardest, speaking is easy to pick up, I would recommend a lot of Arabic dubbed Turkish soaps, because of the entertainment as well as the clearly enunciated Arabic spoken!
Offer holder for MML (French and German) any questions fire away :biggrin:
Original post by Alludeen1
Course: MML (probably French and Spanish)
College: Literally no clue
IGCSES: 10 A* 3 sciences, Maths, 2 Englishes, French, Spanish and Latin, Geography
AS Levels: French, Spanish, Economics and Maths. School don't allow any more!!!!!!
Extra stuff : Doing a work experience in Spain this half term :smile: extra reading (just finished my first French book; L'Etranger :smile: ) Help out in language clinics and am about to start a French Literature club after school. DofE Silver and going to enter the Canning House essay, although it sounds impossible. Thinking of doing an EPQ in the summer but not sure I could motivate myself to do a 5000 word essay... Do you think they'll reject me because of a lack of English/History? And does anyone know what the flags in the flag system are?

I'm assuming that this is the sort of stuff you're talking about... being in care for 3+ months, school below national average, living in a low progression to uni area etc etc? link here: http://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate_courses/why_oxford/codes_and_procedures/contextual_data.htm l EDIT: you have 3 languages at GCSE and 2 at A-level, they won't reject you because you lack English/history.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by paradoxicalme
Turns out I won't be seeing you at the english masterclass :frown: My dad's going to the rugby and they won't let me use any other method of transport...I hope you enjoy it though! :smile:

Aww :frown: never mind. Hopefully we'll see each other at Cambridge at some point. It's so scary that we are applying in October!
Hahaha I'm excited too!

Disappointed.. thought we'd be three Mathmos together! (I was actually considering NatSci but I'm 95% sure I'm going Maths)

:nah:

I have done maths A2 and my UMS wasn't good at all :redface: for a maths application
I can speak it fluently, did it at gcse and as, but if I am honest, I speak slang Arabic(Libyan dialect) at home haha. I think reading is probably the hardest, speaking is easy to pick up, I would recommend a lot of Arabic dubbed Turkish soaps, because of the entertainment as well as the clearly enunciated Arabic spoken!

Lucky! I want to learn modern standard Arabic :smile:
I'm assuming that this is the sort of stuff you're talking about... being in care for 3+ months, school below national average, living in a low progression to uni area etc etc? link here: http://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate_courses/why_oxford/codes_and_procedures/contextual_data.htm l EDIT: you have 3 languages at GCSE and 2 at A-level, they won't reject you because you lack English/history.

Thanks for the link, I was just wondering if I would qualify for any of them because I go to a private school and I don't want them to assume I've had everything on my plate (which I haven't). And about the English literature thing, I was wondering if the degree is like a literature degree but in French/Spanish because I like reading, just not analysing every word and quote to the nth degree and am far much more interested in the cultural/historical side/linguistic side. Thanks again
:nah:

I have done maths A2 and my UMS wasn't good at all :redface: for a maths application
Awww man, shame :frown: you going physical nat sci?
Awww man, shame :frown: you going physical nat sci?

Yep! Resitting C3, hopefully get some back up on my reference.
:nah: Lucky! I want to learn modern standard Arabic :smile:

Tbh, I am quite blessed to know it without having to have gone to any effort to learn, and its not that I can't speak the formal Arabic, but when I am with friends we use a lot of made up words, like the proper word for foot is 'Ragil', yet I would say 'kra3', unless I am at Arabic school its embarrassing to use those slang words because every town has different ones! Sorry for the ramble...
Original post by frances007
Offer holder for MML (French and German) any questions fire away :biggrin:

Hi, I was wondering if they expect you to be really good at the speaking in the interview because its my worst part :s If you don't mind my asking, what AS/A2 levels do you have? On the literature side or a mix of sciences/languages?

Didn't realise how useful TSR could be!

PS any good French books to read? I've read L'Etranger and am looking for something else... but not too big because I'd probably be in the dictionary all day!
(edited 10 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending