The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Ceryni
I would really urge you to drop one at A2!!! :s-smilie: They're unlikely to care since 4A2s is the most the majority of applicants will have, and any offer you could get is likely to only include 4 grades, meaning that one of your subjects won't even matter at A2 so you'll be taking on a greater workload for basically no benefit!! :eek:

Speaking from some experience here, as I'm taking those exact 5 subjects at A2 now, and my offer doesn't include further maths; trust me, you'll be kicking yourself later if you have to do tons of extra homework for that 5th A2 with no aim in mind!! :redface: :colondollar:

the problem here is that I enjoy math so much!! ( math freak) i want to learn as much math as possible.... if i am to drop physics, cambridge wont like it right?
Original post by JackTeh96
the problem here is that I enjoy math so much!! ( math freak) i want to learn as much math as possible.... if i am to drop physics, cambridge wont like it right?

Your likelihood of an offer will be dependent on what you achieved at AS. After that even for medicine you will probably have only an A*AA offer. An extra subject or two should not prevent you getting that and allows for an unexpected disaster. If you have the capacity to cope with the medicine workload you can probably cope with 4or 5A2. However they will only expect four and won't mind at all if you drop Physics.
Original post by Colmans
Your likelihood of an offer will be dependent on what you achieved at AS. After that even for medicine you will probably have only an A*AA offer. An extra subject or two should not prevent you getting that and allows for an unexpected disaster. If you have the capacity to cope with the medicine workload you can probably cope with 4or 5A2. However they will only expect four and won't mind at all if you drop Physics.

So, if i keep studying all 5, and if they give out those conditional offers, i can drop one or two?
oh lawd, so scary. my stats look so meh in comparison to everyone else's rn 😭

name: neka
course: medicine because I'm pretty damn insane
gcses: 2A*s 7As 2Bs (mitigating circumstances, long story cut short)
a levels: biology chemistry maths english lit
other: volunteering at two charity shops and a care home, editorial team of the school science magazine, part of medsoc and biosoc, also part of interact (we organise charity events in school). currently learning japanese outside school - doing JLPT level 5 and 4 this year :3 (not particularly relevant but I think it's pretty cool :3)

I'm cramming all my work experience into the summer 😭 that, UKCAT prep, BMAT prep, personal statement writing and possibly beginning to study A2 stuff will be the end of me

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by JackTeh96
So, if i keep studying all 5, and if they give out those conditional offers, i can drop one or two?

Not exactly. If you apply showing that you are taking five they can technically withdraw your offer if you dropped a subject.
However unless you got given a five subject offer-which does happen but rarely-you could email them later and ask if you could drop the fifth which would probably be OK. Dropping two would almost certainly be frowned on. Most medical applicants are doing four unless their school doesn't allow it.

If you definitely want to drop Physics A2 you should do so before you apply. (If you are trying to get an advantage by claiming to cope with more than average, you can't blame them for refusing to allow you to drop something later .)
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1985
Original post by Colmans
Not exactly. If you apply showing that you are taking five they can technically withdraw your offer if you dropped a subject.
However unless you got given a five subject offer-which does happen but rarely-you could email them later and ask if you could drop the fifth which would probably be OK. Dropping two would almost certainly be frowned on. Most medical applicants are doing four unless their school doesn't allow it.

If you definitely want to drop Physics A2 you should do so before you apply. (If you are trying to get an advantage by claiming to cope with more than average, you can't blame them for refusing to allow you to drop something later .)

What about if your doing four subjects but one of them is completed in yr 12 and the other three are completed in yr 13? Would they take the A level completed in yr 12 as a fourth subject for Medicine at Cambridge?
Original post by a123a
What about if your doing four subjects but one of them is completed in yr 12 and the other three are completed in yr 13? Would they take the A level completed in yr 12 as a fourth subject for Medicine at Cambridge?

You mean maths?

They'd make the offer based on the three in Year 13 normally
Original post by Colmans

Oh dear, then I would still take all five then :smile: I just like sciences.
Original post by a123a

You don't have to have four subjects for medicine although many people will have completed Maths A2 by the end of year 12. You will still get an offer based on a minimum of three subjects in year 13 even if you have completed one or two A2 early.

They will include all the A level UMS (AS & any A2) you have done when calculating your Science UMS %. This is part of an overall ranking to show the strength of the field of applicants but for medicine GCSEs and BMAT are also included.
Is anyone else going on the History Masterclass in a fortnight?
Reply 1990
Original post by Colmans
You don't have to have four subjects for medicine although many people will have completed Maths A2 by the end of year 12. You will still get an offer based on a minimum of three subjects in year 13 even if you have completed one or two A2 early.

They will include all the A level UMS (AS & any A2) you have done when calculating your Science UMS %. This is part of an overall ranking to show the strength of the field of applicants but for medicine GCSEs and BMAT are also included.

So this isn't something that will hold me back?
Reply 1991
This thread is so so dominated by science applicants I feel as if separate arts and science applicants threads should be made, just for the sake of gelling together and being able to bounce around information in more similar fields?
Original post by Jasey
This thread is so so dominated by science applicants I feel as if separate arts and science applicants threads should be made, just for the sake of gelling together and being able to bounce around information in more similar fields?

I'm potentially an MML applicant too :wink:
Reply 1993
Original post by L'Evil Fish
I'm potentially an MML applicant too :wink:

aha i do know there is a bit of a mix with individuals in terms of loyalty to both but it's so difficult trawling through trying to find arts applicants when everyone seems to be all natsci and all medicine!
Original post by Jasey
aha i do know there is a bit of a mix with individuals in terms of loyalty to both but it's so difficult trawling through trying to find arts applicants when everyone seems to be all natsci and all medicine!

Second post, you can see who's applying for what :biggrin:
Reply 1995
Hi guys
Is it possible to cancel your place on a masterclass programme?
Reply 1996
Original post by L'Evil Fish
You mean maths?

They'd make the offer based on the three in Year 13 normally

Yep its maths.
Original post by Jasey

I'm applying for Law. Or Oriental Studies perhaps if my marks aren't good enough for Law.
Are the entry requirements for us (A*AA) increased to higher grades? I heard a few talking about it lately.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I have mentioned this before (as have other people) but, I just wanted to clarify that with impeccable AS mark is it likely for a student without further maths to get in for Phys NatSci? The undergraduate number for NatSci is large so surely not all took further maths?

Everyone in my school trying has further maths so I feel I'm setting myself up for failure! I just want to know that it is common, or even possible. Some reassurance..

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest

Trending

Trending