The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Computer science
Gcse's- 1 A ,4 Distinctions, 3 B's, 5 C's
A levels- Maths, History, Economics, ICT

What do you think my chances are guys? I have terrible gcse's I know but I am hoping to get all A's for as and A*AA for a2. My grandad got cancer when I was doing my gcse's and that's a reason why I performed poorly, but there is no school records of this effecting me. But as for computer science, I do plenty of reading round the subject.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by k_slatch
Which are you doing? :smile:

I have indeed, http://www.pet.cam.ac.uk/prospective-students/essay-prizes. Don't enter, you'll show me up :biggrin:

I think I might do one :colone: I
Original post by L'Evil Fish
I think I might do one :colone: I

You're on :cool: which one?
My mocks are in Feb. Are most ppl averaging 90%?
You're on :cool: which one?

:mmm:

'The Hydrogen Economy'

Got half my French mock back, so far...

50/88 (we get the essay which is put of 35 tomorrow, so hopefully 80+ overall which would get me full UMS)
:mmm:

'The Hydrogen Economy'

Got half my French mock back, so far...

50/88 (we get the essay which is put of 35 tomorrow, so hopefully 80+ overall which would get me full UMS)

Ah that's okay then, I'm doing "how far is it to the moon" :tongue: ooooh is this the A2 mock you did?? Congrats, that's awesome! (What happened to those other 3 marks!? I jest:wink:)
Ah that's okay then, I'm doing "how far is it to the moon" :tongue: ooooh is this the A2 mock you did?? Congrats, that's awesome! (What happened to those other 3 marks!? I jest:wink:)

I wanna do a chem one :cool:

AS mock! :colondollar: they were silly little things :tongue:
Original post by keromedic
My mocks are in Feb. Are most ppl averaging 90%?

On my three best, I averaged about 94%. Overall I averaged about 90% (stupid further maths and chemistry :mad:)
On my three best, I averaged about 94%. Overall I averaged about 90% (stupid further maths and chemistry :mad:)

That's good. You have some time to improve :biggrin:

That's good. You have some time to improve :biggrin:

Plus they're raw marks, so UMS is probably higher.
Original post by 06dsanderson
Computer science
Gcse's- 1 A ,4 Distinctions, 3 B's, 5 C's
A levels- Maths, History, Economics, ICT

What do you think my chances are guys? I have terrible gcse's I know but I am hoping to get all A's for as and A*AA for a2. My grandad got cancer when I was doing my gcse's and that's a reason why I performed poorly, but there is no school records of this effecting me. But as for computer science, I do plenty of reading round the subject.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Your GCSE's shouldn't matter tooooo much if you get really good AS results ie aim for 93+ % average, or really just as high as you can get, as this will almost guarantee you an interview if you have really high A's. Of course your reference and PS have to be really good too but the grades can be a deciding factor!

It's definitely worth a shot as people with lower AS results do get in but you will have a better chance with high results.
Plus they're raw marks, so UMS is probably higher.

Are your mocks just past papers. I think my college tends to mix questions up so ppl can't 'cheat'.
The boundaries for Chem are annoying. Think it's 95% for 90UMS.
I wanna do a chem one :cool:

AS mock! :colondollar: they were silly little things :tongue:

Ahhh I'm safe then! Go physics:biggrin: Hahaha I bet it wasn't as silly as mine... Question: Qu'est-ce que les pauvres ont fait? Referring to poor people on a tv show.. answers were cooking, cleaning etc. I read the question as meaning "What makes them poor?" and wrote down unemployment, homelessness etc despite there being no mention of it in the listening! Embarrassing stuff :tongue:
Are your mocks just past papers. I think my college tends to mix questions up so ppl can't 'cheat'.
The boundaries for Chem are annoying. Think it's 95% for 90UMS.

Yep! Some of mine were just straight past papers.

Ahhh I'm safe then! Go physics:biggrin: Hahaha I bet it wasn't as silly as mine... Question: Qu'est-ce que les pauvres ont fait? Referring to poor people on a tv show.. answers were cooking, cleaning etc. I read the question as meaning "What makes them poor?" and wrote down unemployment, homelessness etc despite there being no mention of it in the listening! Embarrassing stuff :tongue:

:rofl:

Mine were just things like spelling 'meilleure' (missed the second e), and getting 1/2 on those descriptive answers.

Ah cool.
I hope I do well in Feb. I'm still catching up. I was absent a lot last term.
How do you guys 'revise' over the course of the year? Read notes etc?

And.. wrong thread :facepalm2:
(edited 10 years ago)
Which are you doing? :smile:

I have indeed, http://www.pet.cam.ac.uk/prospective-students/essay-prizes. Don't enter, you'll show me up :biggrin:

'Great scientific discoveries are the product of a particular time and place rather than exceptional genius'. You?

:rofl:

Mine were just things like spelling 'meilleure' (missed the second e), and getting 1/2 on those descriptive answers.

Ah that stuff's annoying! It's little things like that which will go wrong every time, like wrong agreements and stuff :mad: god I hate accuracy marks! hahaha
Original post by Endless Blue
How do you guys 'revise' over the course of the year? Read notes etc?

Yeah pretty much, print off a bunch of past papers and plough through them a question at a time, do notes, read notes, redo notes, read notes, reredo notes, read notes :rofl: dull but it works
Course: Chemical Engineering
College: Emma
GCSEs: 2A* 10A
A levels: Further Maths, Chemistry, Physics, Spanish and A2 Maths
Other: A in AS Maths (done a year early)

Ahhh I'm doing the scientific discoveries question for the Kelvin Science Prize, is anyone else doing the same?:biggrin::smile::tongue:
Original post by aasvogel
'Great scientific discoveries are the product of a particular time and place rather than exceptional genius'. You?

Think I'm doing the "how far is it to the moon" one!! God knows how long its going to take me though ahaha

Latest

Trending

Trending