The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by geodawson
Yeah sure :smile: Nothing like a bit of music of a sunny Wednesday morning!

Don't make me jealous. I sound terrible. What would you have me sing an excerpt off? In english preferably.
Original post by big_fudge
Come on guys where's the aspiring lawyers? Or is it only me?

According to the list, Cryptic_ is the only other lawyer. Though an English/Law person on a different thread seemed interested :smile:
Original post by Sycopation
I know this isn't the Chemistry thread, but it is just me or does Hydrogen bonding only happen between hydrogen and lone pairs?

It happens between electron deficient Hydogen and highly electronegative [o, n, f] atoms with lone pairs
Original post by paradoxicalme
According to the list, Cryptic_ is the only other lawyer. Though an English/Law person on a different thread seemed interested :smile:

Yeah thought so! Been PM'ing Cryptic - passing over links for work experience which may be very useful and I've just picked up the English/Law guy on the other thread. Looks like I'm trying to keep a tight control over the Lawyers here haha
Yeah thought so! Been PM'ing Cryptic - passing over links for work experience which may be very useful and I've just picked up the English/Law guy on the other thread. Looks like I'm trying to keep a tight control over the Lawyers here haha

Haha :biggrin: come the weekend, I might talk to a couple of the englishers, see if they're planning on entering for thomas campion (the english essay prize at peterhouse). I'm glad you've gotten something helpful from the thread! :biggrin: And I know...I'm becoming far too possessive of this thread...MY thread. MY applicants. MY beautiful coordinated list. MINE. MIIIIIINE.
Reply 585
Original post by Cluck
For anyone wondering about colleges, I think the alternative prospectus is generally considered to be a good way of comparing :smile:

http://www.applytocambridge.com/colleges/

And if you're looking for a contentless, insight-free guide, this might be nice: http://uncyclopedia.wikia.com/wiki/University_of_Cambridge (bad language)
I'm not sure if I want to apply for maths actually.

It seems like maths is going to be incredibly difficult to get into, way above me, looking at some of these posts (and even from these, most won't get a place). I'm also lacking in maths related extra-curriculars.
I think it may be a safer bet to apply for engineering, as I have more experience (Arkwright Scholar etc), but I think that maths at cambridge will be much better than doing any course anywhere else. I'm under no illusions that this won't be very difficult, but I think it is more realistic than maths. The only thing is that I have a slight preference for maths, but nothing dealbreaking.

Can you apply to two courses, or do you have to make one decision? Can I apply for both maths and engineering(both at Cambridge)?

Also, that leads me on to asking if Cambridge is actually the best choice when it comes to engineering. I know it isn't the best in the world, as it is when it comes to maths (arguably), but when it comes to engineering, I know it's definitely not best in the world (MIT, CalTech), but I don't know if it's even best in the UK. I think the course looks pretty good, I love the generalised first years, but I'm not sure actually how good it is.

Finally, do you think that, if I apply to Oxford instead, who I hear take into account your GCSEs more, I will have a better chance of being accepted even if I don't perform 100% this year. Obviously, you still need really good A levels etc, but do you think that I will be able to get in to Oxford with slightly poorer A levels etc than for Cambridge with very good GCSEs?

That is a lot of questions, and thank you to anyone who answers any of them. Even if no one does, it feels good to get those questions off my chest a bit :smile:
Reply 587
Original post by Bodgy
And if you're looking for a contentless, insight-free guide, this might be nice: http://uncyclopedia.wikia.com/wiki/University_of_Cambridge (bad language)

Gooooood morninnngg tsr!
Especially to fellow Lit/Law applicants! :biggrin:
Haha :biggrin: come the weekend, I might talk to a couple of the englishers, see if they're planning on entering for thomas campion (the english essay prize at peterhouse). I'm glad you've gotten something helpful from the thread! :biggrin: And I know...I'm becoming far too possessive of this thread...MY thread. MY applicants. MY beautiful coordinated list. MINE. MIIIIIINE.

:biggrin:. Yeah its good having like minded people around and seeing what they're doing. I was thinking of entering the essay for English but I'm still having doubts its the subject that I'm worried about. But on to better news I just heard back and have been offered a week works experience at Allen & Overy during the Easter holidays. Messes up my revision timetable abit but hey how can I complain! Definitely looking forward to that and hopefully having work experience at one of the biggest law firms will just help strengthen my PS.
Yeah this thread has been super useful to me! :biggrin:
Hahaha well I have to say you have become quite possessive of the thread, but I love your enthusiasm and you seem like a genuinely nice person!! :smile:
Original post by Acidy
Gooooood morninnngg tsr!

Evening/Morning. A fellow future Law applicant here hopefully!
Original post by Necrosyrtes
I'm not sure if I want to apply for maths actually.

It seems like maths is going to be incredibly difficult to get into, way above me, looking at some of these posts (and even from these, most won't get a place). I'm also lacking in maths related extra-curriculars.
I think it may be a safer bet to apply for engineering, as I have more experience (Arkwright Scholar etc), but I think that maths at cambridge will be much better than doing any course anywhere else. I'm under no illusions that this won't be very difficult, but I think it is more realistic than maths. The only thing is that I have a slight preference for maths, but nothing dealbreaking.

Can you apply to two courses, or do you have to make one decision? Can I apply for both maths and engineering(both at Cambridge)?

Also, that leads me on to asking if Cambridge is actually the best choice when it comes to engineering. I know it isn't the best in the world, as it is when it comes to maths (arguably), but when it comes to engineering, I know it's definitely not best in the world (MIT, CalTech), but I don't know if it's even best in the UK. I think the course looks pretty good, I love the generalised first years, but I'm not sure actually how good it is.

Finally, do you think that, if I apply to Oxford instead, who I hear take into account your GCSEs more, I will have a better chance of being accepted even if I don't perform 100% this year. Obviously, you still need really good A levels etc, but do you think that I will be able to get in to Oxford with slightly poorer A levels etc than for Cambridge with very good GCSEs?

That is a lot of questions, and thank you to anyone who answers any of them. Even if no one does, it feels good to get those questions off my chest a bit :smile:

1.) Obviously, Maths is unbelievably hard to get into, being possibly the best Maths course globally, but Engineering isn't much less competitive. You just have to decide: What's drawing you more, the uni or the course? Will you regret it if you don't apply for Maths? I can't make the decision for you, but I think you'll work it out. :smile: As for extra curriculars, there are always contests and lectures available, as well as wider reading. Do you have any idea about future career?

2.) You unfortunately can't apply to two - it has to be one, at least here.

3.) Cambridge basically has a universal excellence in their degrees, but arguably scientific universities like Imperial could compete with them for Engineering, which is good! It means you've got some amazing other options.

4.) Honestly, the difference between the two universities in terms of your chance of being selected would be negligible. You might want to think more about the decision when you have your AS - but I would advise just applying to the university you prefer out of Oxford and Cambridge. So many people try and play the system, saying 'Ooh, if I do this, my chances of getting in go up by 2%' but it genuinely makes barely any difference, as long as you have excellent grades and a genuine passion for your subject. Go where you love. If you pick a place because you think you've got a better chance there, even if you do get in you'll wonder what might have been.
Original post by Acidy
Gooooood morninnngg tsr!

Hi there! :biggrin: I'll add you to the List.
:biggrin:. Yeah its good having like minded people around and seeing what they're doing. I was thinking of entering the essay for English but I'm still having doubts its the subject that I'm worried about. But on to better news I just heard back and have been offered a week works experience at Allen & Overy during the Easter holidays. Messes up my revision timetable abit but hey how can I complain! Definitely looking forward to that and hopefully having work experience at one of the biggest law firms will just help strengthen my PS.
Yeah this thread has been super useful to me! :biggrin:
Hahaha well I have to say you have become quite possessive of the thread, but I love your enthusiasm and you seem like a genuinely nice person!! :smile:

That's fantastic! I hope the w/e goes well :biggrin: And I'm glad it's proven useful.

It's mainly because I don't have much time outside of studying, so I like to use this to motivate me :tongue: And it just makes me feel quite warm and fuzzy inside seeing people who are as excited as me, so in the little bits of free time I get I tend to take over :tongue: And aww, thank you!
Reply 593
jj
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 594
Is anyone else thinking of applying for the Cambridge essay competitions, If so what title?=p
That's fantastic! I hope the w/e goes well :biggrin: And I'm glad it's proven useful.

It's mainly because I don't have much time outside of studying, so I like to use this to motivate me :tongue: And it just makes me feel quite warm and fuzzy inside seeing people who are as excited as me, so in the little bits of free time I get I tend to take over :tongue: And aww, thank you!

Thanks (:

Yeah I get exactly what you mean. I feel guilty when I'm not doing anything nowadays because I can't be wasting time I need those grades! This is the only place where other people feel like that so I end up spending loads of time lurking about on here! Haha its nice to see you getting so excited about this and like I said this thread really benefits from your enthusiasm.
1.) Obviously, Maths is unbelievably hard to get into, being possibly the best Maths course globally, but Engineering isn't much less competitive. You just have to decide: What's drawing you more, the uni or the course? Will you regret it if you don't apply for Maths? I can't make the decision for you, but I think you'll work it out. :smile: As for extra curriculars, there are always contests and lectures available, as well as wider reading. Do you have any idea about future career?

2.) You unfortunately can't apply to two - it has to be one, at least here.

3.) Cambridge basically has a universal excellence in their degrees, but arguably scientific universities like Imperial could compete with them for Engineering, which is good! It means you've got some amazing other options.

4.) Honestly, the difference between the two universities in terms of your chance of being selected would be negligible. You might want to think more about the decision when you have your AS - but I would advise just applying to the university you prefer out of Oxford and Cambridge. So many people try and play the system, saying 'Ooh, if I do this, my chances of getting in go up by 2%' but it genuinely makes barely any difference, as long as you have excellent grades and a genuine passion for your subject. Go where you love. If you pick a place because you think you've got a better chance there, even if you do get in you'll wonder what might have been.

Thanks, I think I'll wait until I get my AS results to make a decision. If they're outstanding e.g. 98 UMS across maths and 90s in my others, I'll go for Cambridge maths as no.1 option then engineering at other Unis as others. If they're all 90+ but not ridiculously good then I'll put engineering at Cambridge for my no.1 and engineering at others. If I get below 90, I may as well not apply to Cambridge at all.
I definitely feel a stronger 'pull' to maths than engineering, but I don't think a maths degree is worth it if you aren't getting it from Cambridge. You'd have a much better time with an engineering degree in my opinion, unless you very strongly preferred maths.
Here's to a year of hard work and hoping for luck :smile:
Original post by Acidy
Is anyone else thinking of applying for the Cambridge essay competitions, If so what title?=p

Yep! I want to try 'what is rhyme for?'
Reply 598
Original post by Necrosyrtes
I don't think a maths degree is worth it if you aren't getting it from Cambridge.

Is that a very healthy mentality? Let alone whether or not it's true...
Alright, I'm off to bed. Talk to you guys tomorrow :tongue:

Latest

Trending

Trending