The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Are you guys concentrating on mocks or coursework?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Sycopation
Are you guys concentrating on mocks or coursework?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I have no coursework, but I would definitely be focussing on that rather than the mocks if I did.
Original post by honeywhite
What's it rhyme with? I assume you're either driving at "Poofterhouse" or "Porterhouse Blue" (a comedy set in a mishmash of Peterhouse and Corpus Christi, circa 1975---Sir Godber lost, but his reforms were implemented 15 years later---women admitted and condom machines in the loos both). I can live with Porterhouse Blue.

That said:
Bene edamus! Bene bibamus!
Epula semper concelebramus!
Quod imperat Regina,
Nil impediat Doctrina.
Sed Choro sonoro:
Dives in Omnia!

(Let's eat well! Let's drink well! Let's celebrate our meals together! What Her Majesty commands, Doctrine does not impede. So let the choir sing: Excess in everything!)

Emma, actually. *sassy hand wave* And seriously? Poofterhouse?!

(Though I will concede that my avatar is a rainbow.)

fabricati diem, pvnc.

Also, what's the course you want to apply to? Just for the list purposes :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by K_faith_k
With English, I'm fairly indecisive. There are parts I love, and other parts I get slightly bored of, but I mostly really enjoy it, and it's the subject I do best in. The only thing that concerns me is the older stuff, is it fairly impenetrable or do you get used to it? Are translated versions widely available?

I know what you mean, there are some parts I get bored with, but they are mainly the bits that won't get concentrated on as much at uni (trawling through the book and dissecting it quote-by-quote - I much prefer dissecting books with themes in mind and including literary device than just going 'oh, yes, this is prolepsis'). As for old literature, what I find most fun about it is how much of it is still relevant today! And I imagine translations should be pretty easily accessible. :smile:
Quick question - when calculating the UMS average for Physical NatSci, do Cambridge count Maths and Further Maths as one subject (if your other AS Levels are Physics and Chemistry)?
Original post by Necrosyrtes
Thanks, I just wanted to clarify things really. Now I read back it seems a bit passively hostile, but I only wanted to make sure I had things clear in my head, so I'm sorry if you took any offense.:redface:

I really need to take a look at some of the colleges soon. They all just seem the same to me, but maybe if I go there in person one day, I will find one that I like.

On a completely unrelated note, although I am not a girl I think that if I was I would hate to go to an all girls college. I don't understand the appeal of single-sex education.

Your post wasn't offensive! :tongue: Trust me, I'm a complete bitch when I want to be - I would've told you if it was :wink:

I can't wait to see the other colleges! I fangirled a bit when I glimpsed Downing and Peterhouse on the way to Emma :biggrin:

I get why some people wouldn't like it, but I really like it here. Sure, there's bitchiness, but I think there's a better atmosphere. I think girls work better without the presence of boys - there's a mixed Psychology group, and in that group the girls never speak.
Original post by KT_T
Is anyone else going to the 'Maths and related subjects' masterclass in March? :P

I am!
Reply 787
Good luck medics! I got pooled and reinterviewed and after the long wait got an offer from girton. But stressful. Concentrate on bmat about a month before, ums is very important, aim for at least 95, work experience definitely needed, work on interview skills, but don't be too disheartened if you get rejected, it's extremely competitive so concentrate on the other 3 choices as well!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
What actually does UMS mean? UMS 90% or above that means each paper is >90% right?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by poydtreechada
What actually does UMS mean? UMS 90% or above that means each paper is >90% right?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Basically, UMS is a method of standardising. You can get 100% UMS without getting 100% raw marks (though % raw marks is normally pretty similar to % UMS). Take, for instance, an easy paper versus a hard paper. For the easy paper, you'd need full marks or very close to it to get 100 UMS. For the hard paper, you'd be able to get 94% or so and still get 100 UMS.
Original post by Medicguy
Good luck medics! I got pooled and reinterviewed and after the long wait got an offer from girton. But stressful. Concentrate on bmat about a month before, ums is very important, aim for at least 95, work experience definitely needed, work on interview skills, but don't be too disheartened if you get rejected, it's extremely competitive so concentrate on the other 3 choices as well!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Congratulations! Girton's a great college :smile: And you'll get plenty of exercise :wink: Thanks for the advice!
Reply 791
Original post by k_slatch
I am!

See you there!
Original post by CaddyCompson
Yay! I'll see you there then. I'm really excited.

I'm going to the Oxbridge Admission Conference 2 days before it as well so I will just spend the whole week excited about Cambridge

Me too :biggrin: And that conference sounds awesome! Though I don't mind that I'm not going to it - we have a pretty good Oxbridge presence here and the teachers tell us a lot about the admissions process :smile: I feel really bad for the people on the thread who are the first in their sixth forms to go! I just hope Cambridge sees how hard they've had to work :tongue:
Do you guys know that whether some colleges might not prefer gap year students? Cause I am A2 this year...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by FuzzingSas
I've not heard of this Oxbridge admissions conference... TO GOOGLE!
Oh yeah, and i'm going to the English Masterclass aswell ^_^

My school's arranging it, I think that there are about 6 or 7 around the country.

See you at the Masterclass then!
Original post by paradoxicalme
Me too :biggrin: And that conference sounds awesome! Though I don't mind that I'm not going to it - we have a pretty good Oxbridge presence here and the teachers tell us a lot about the admissions process :smile: I feel really bad for the people on the thread who are the first in their sixth forms to go! I just hope Cambridge sees how hard they've had to work :tongue:

Our schools pretty good with applying too. We got around 3 people a year into Oxbridge (out of about 50) so I think I'll be pretty well supported with the application, I'm just worried about getting in.
Original post by poydtreechada
Do you guys know that whether some colleges might not prefer gap year students? Cause I am A2 this year...

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm not sure any colleges prefer gap year people...(you won't count as a mature student, right?) but as long as you're doing something they consider useful, they won't discriminate against you either :smile:
Original post by KT_T
See you there!

Yay! Gutted I missed out on the actual maths one though :frown:
Original post by CaddyCompson
Our schools pretty good with applying too. We got around 3 people a year into Oxbridge (out of about 50) so I think I'll be pretty well supported with the application, I'm just worried about getting in.

The interview is what worries me :redface: I know I think quite creatively, I'm just worried I'll freeze up! I'm quite good at pandering to mark schemes, though, so hopefully I should get UMS high enough for interview/autopool :smile:

50?! You have a pretty small sixth form! :tongue: Then again, mine's only about 100. And ours fluctuates - we had 1 in last year, via the pool, and 10 offers this year :eek:

Then again, I have a reason to know that you can do brilliantly without Oxbridge - my English teacher (favourite teacher, got me into English properly) was rejected.
Reply 799
Original post by Uosaf
Same! The pass rate in my school for GCSE and % of A*-B at A level is REALLY low. Rough area, some guy was shot on my school road and a number of people have been stabbed in the area.

Oh wow :biggrin:, well I guess if you can handle it and enjoy the subject then why not? But I don't think its needed if you're doing 3 A levels next year

Yeah...I'll think about it:colondollar:.
yep I'm doing 3 a level next year so that's not an issue.

okkkk, my area isn't as bad as yours:tongue:.

Original post by Chief Wiggum
Try to contact consultants directly to ask. eg send them an email.

Yeah I will do so. Thanks!

Latest

Trending

Trending