The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Askaway
Fair play, oh well I love languages and want to do them. WHat do you guys think? Really strong personal statement, great GCSE results, but AAABB can I still apply to Cambridge?

It all depends on how high the As are percentage-wise tbh.
88% 85% 82% applying for french and arabic
Original post by Askaway
88% 85% 82% applying for french and arabic

Hmmmm... You might just about get an interview.

Although you should take into account people who aren't applying for languages did better than you did in a language.

I think you should try as you might get an interview and then you can try and impress I guess.
Original post by L'Evil Fish
Because I didn't think there'd be any jobs, and I wouldn't know what to do with it. And can keep up languages in my own time... So I'm now applying for Chemistry/NatSci.

What do you want to do with these career wise?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Aaah, I see! I think I'm just going to send off my UCAS because I cba haha

I'm gonna remove Nottingham after their little mishap, and have four choices. And add one after.

Maybe St.Andrews.. Imperial? Where else is good for chem

What 'mishap'?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Mutleybm1996
What do you want to do with these career wise?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Neuropharmacology

Pharmaceutical company

If not, law conversion or like ib haha

Original post by Mutleybm1996

The fire
Neuropharmacology

Pharmaceutical company

If not, law conversion or like ib haha

You want to do Neuropharmacology? I'd like to be a toxicologist or a pharmacologist! :biggrin: Do you think that any pharmaceutical companies would let 15year olds do work experience there or know of any that would probably let me do something? :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by karmacrunch
You want to do Neuropharmacology? I'd like to be a toxicologist or a pharmacologist! :biggrin: Do you think that any pharmaceutical companies would let 15year olds do work experience there or know of any that would probably let me do something? :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Possibly

Urmmm... Maybe at 16 but even then it's difficult. If you're near a gsk or big company they often run placements for school leavers or sixth form
Original post by JackTeh96
Bio Natsci!!! found ya! :biggrin:

Haha, hello! What do you mean you found me? :eek: University connect? What're you applying for?
Possibly

Urmmm... Maybe at 16 but even then it's difficult. If you're near a gsk or big company they often run placements for school leavers or sixth form

Ah okay. I'll still look and maybe look at some pharmacies as well. Thanks. :redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Claree
From a quick look at a map the closest colleges to the engineering department are Peterhouse, Pembroke, Downing and Queens', but nothing's that far away from anything else in Cambridge! :tongue:

Don't worry about choosing a college too much, they say they're more similar than they are different. From looking at the prospectus/college website you might see a college you think you'd like to live in.

Places to start from are: big/medium/small college, location, appearance (google images!) , particular facilitities, number doing your subject in each year... (if you can give some indication of what sort of things you're looking for we could suggest some colleges!) :smile:

Thanks for the reply :smile:

I guess I'd like a medium-size older college which isn't too deep in the city, open space, maybe a park nearby. Preferably a combination of both catered and self-catered. Also not a high percentage of essay-based subject students, as I wouldn't have much to contribute to in conversations!
I'm starting to look at colleges, do you have any resources/information that could help me decide?

Also can someone explain 'test at interview' and 'preparatory study at interview' please? This is for economics
(edited 9 years ago)
At least in terms of the number of posts in the respective Cambridge and Oxford threads, why is Cambridge so much more popular than Oxford on TSR, given that Oxford receives more applications per place than Cambridge and that both are virtually equal in terms of prestige and rankings?
Original post by Chlorophile
At least in terms of the number of posts in the respective Cambridge and Oxford threads, why is Cambridge so much more popular than Oxford on TSR, given that Oxford receives more applications per place than Cambridge and that both are virtually equal in terms of prestige and rankings?

Cambridge applicants are friendlier and more chatty?

TSR tends to have an overrepresentation of science students, who tend to go for Cambridge over Oxford?

Random fluctuation this year - look back over the 2014/2013/2012 etc threads and compare to see if pattern holds?

Personally, I think it's because Cambridge applicants are more obsessive :tongue:.
Original post by ClickItBack
Cambridge applicants are friendlier and more chatty?

TSR tends to have an overrepresentation of science students, who tend to go for Cambridge over Oxford?

Random fluctuation this year - look back over the 2014/2013/2012 etc threads and compare to see if pattern holds?

Personally, I think it's because Cambridge applicants are more obsessive :tongue:.

That last point definitely sounds true!

I wouldnt say oxford and cambridge are equal in terms of prestige ans ranking anymore. Everyone knows Cambridge is a bit better nowadays...
Original post by newblood
I wouldnt say oxford and cambridge are equal in terms of prestige ans ranking anymore. Everyone knows Cambridge is a bit better nowadays...

Quite a number of league tables, including value for employers, would disagree with that assessment. The differences between the universities are minute and even if it were the case that Cambridge were slightly better, it doesn't explain the fact that Cambridge has double the number of posts as Oxford on TSR.
Quite a number of league tables, including value for employers, would disagree with that assessment.

Really, the comment was meant slightly jokingly but for sciences/maths id have agreed with the ''cambridge for sciences'' statement. The main league table puts cambridge 2nd and Oxford 5th (joint with UCL lol)
Original post by newblood
Really, the comment was meant slightly jokingly but for sciences/maths id have agreed with the ''cambridge for sciences'' statement. The main league table puts cambridge 2nd and Oxford 5th (joint with UCL lol)

What "main" league table? There's no such thing as a "main" league table! QS is not the "main" league table, particularly not for undergraduates.
(edited 9 years ago)
What "main" league table? There's no such thing as a "main" league table!

QS Rankings. I think everyone uses that as the ''main'' league table..so there is. But i am a tad biased since im applying for maths. Prestige wise Oxbridge is oxbridge, but uni rankings tend to put Cam above Oxford for the past few years (though i must add i ignore uni rankings and find them useless considering what they base the rankings on, rankings dont have any indication on which uni is better than another unless theres a big difference)

Latest

Trending

Trending