The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by FuzzingSas
What's the stereotypical attitude towards St. John's..?

Good luck! Which uni did you apply for? :smile:

I applied for Computer Science at Cambridge + this Nottingham Potential Summer School at University of Nottingham to do Architecture, Engineering and Physics :smile:

Not too sure wether I would prefer something Physical or CompSci so I'm gonna try for both :awesome::awesome:
Original post by Leechayy
I applied for Computer Science at Cambridge + this Nottingham Potential Summer School at University of Nottingham to do Architecture, Engineering and Physics :smile:

Not too sure wether I would prefer something Physical or CompSci so I'm gonna try for both :awesome::awesome:

Good for you! I was unsure that i would get into the Cambridge one, so i went for UCL since it had 30 places per subject XD You might as well, good luck! :smile:
Original post by FuzzingSas
Good for you! I was unsure that i would get into the Cambridge one, so i went for UCL since it had 30 places per subject XD You might as well, good luck! :smile:

I'm just hoping my application gets carried by extenuating circumstances xD if not then I'm stuffed:colondollar:
Original post by aasvogel
Hey! I see you're from Tyrone - another Northern Irish person! :five:

I'm teaching myself A2 Further Maths; which modules are you doing? :smile:

Haha you are literally the only other N.Irish person I have seen on this. :smile:

I am FP1,FP2,FP3,M2 and S2. Cant decide whether to do M3 or D1 for my final module though. What about you?
Original post by may_mccool
Haha you are literally the only other N.Irish person I have seen on this. :smile:

I am FP1,FP2,FP3,M2 and S2. Cant decide whether to do M3 or D1 for my final module though. What about you?

Why make life difficult? D1 is so easy.
Reply 985
Original post by Mike_123

for further math next year, i am doing M1 M2 C4 FP2 and S3. I am doing C1 C2 C3 S1 S2 FP1 D1 this year. Sound reasonable?
Reply 986
Original post by meeow
Hey guys, I swear we never had a thread this early!
I'm a medicine offer holder for Emma for 2014 :smile: applying for medicine can be ridiculously stressful, so if you need to know anything about applying, work experience etc just ask

How many interviews did you go? Are the interviews scary? What sort of questions they are asking? What alevels do you do?
Original post by meeow
Hey guys, I swear we never had a thread this early!
I'm a medicine offer holder for Emma for 2014 :smile: applying for medicine can be ridiculously stressful, so if you need to know anything about applying, work experience etc just ask

What did you get in your AS levels? How did you approach revising for them and when did you begin to do so?
When you did further reading, did you just casually read articles/books or did you make notes on them?
What range of work experience did you do and for how long?
How was the interview and did you get feedback from it? Was it focused on science rather than ethics?
Thanks in advance! :biggrin:
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by JackTeh96
for further math next year, i am doing M1 M2 C4 FP2 and S3. I am doing C1 C2 C3 S1 S2 FP1 D1 this year. Sound reasonable?

Maths is fine - but why not C4 this year instead of FP1?

If you want the 'full experience' of Further Maths, then why not FP3? It's just as hard as FP2 people say.
Reply 989
Original post by JackTeh96
How many interviews did you go? Are the interviews scary? What sort of questions they are asking? What alevels do you do?

Just the two, and not at all :smile: At mine we were given loads of tea and could chat with other applicants, and the interviewers were friendly enough. We were mainly asked science related and critical thinking questions related to medicine and a few to do with disease. I'm doing Biology, Chemistry, Physics and Further maths (eurgh..)

Original post by Cantabcyte
What did you get in your AS levels? How did you approach revising for them and when did you begin to do so?
When you did further reading, did you just casually read articles/books or did you make notes on them?
What range of work experience did you do and for how long?
How was the interview and did you get feedback from it? Was it focused on science rather than ethics?
Thanks in advance! :biggrin:

Oooft, many questions! I got As in everything (about 94%) and began in April for the june exams- I just made notes and condensed them into ridiculously small spaces :tongue: Oh, and SO many past papers, I was probably in the hundreds after 9 exams
I just read what I'm interested in and don't approach it like it's work, they didn't ask me anything about it anyway.
I didn't get feedback (unless you count the offer as good feedback...), although i was convinced one was absolutely awful! I was asked why we have two ears and just wittered on...
No problem :smile: let me know if you need to know anything else!

Because it's fun. Plus it's a lot more useful for those wishing to do Maths or any Physical Science.
Original post by may_mccool

I can never find anyone from here on this!

This year we're doing M2 and S2 in class and I'm doing D1 (pretty handy) myself. Next year is then FP1-3. :smile:
Original post by meeow
Just the two, and not at all :smile: At mine we were given loads of tea and could chat with other applicants, and the interviewers were friendly enough. We were mainly asked science related and critical thinking questions related to medicine and a few to do with disease. I'm doing Biology, Chemistry, Physics and Further maths (eurgh..)

Oooft, many questions! I got As in everything (about 94%) and began in April for the june exams- I just made notes and condensed them into ridiculously small spaces :tongue: Oh, and SO many past papers, I was probably in the hundreds after 9 exams
I just read what I'm interested in and don't approach it like it's work, they didn't ask me anything about it anyway.
I didn't get feedback (unless you count the offer as good feedback...), although i was convinced one was absolutely awful! I was asked why we have two ears and just wittered on...
No problem :smile: let me know if you need to know anything else!

So what did u talk about having two ears? :biggrin:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 993
Seems like all the maths people are doing D1... I'm doing FP4 instead :biggrin:
Reply 994
Original post by Cluck

In maths we're doing C1, C2 and S1. Further maths is FP1, M1 and M2. I love FP1 but can't get the hang of mechanics, so our teacher has advised the class to cash in our fm in Year 13 rather than 12 :')
Original post by KT_T
In maths we're doing C1, C2 and S1. Further maths is FP1, M1 and M2. I love FP1 but can't get the hang of mechanics, so our teacher has advised the class to cash in our fm in Year 13 rather than 12 :')

That's the exact combo I did last year! :biggrin: Good fun.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah but I want to do engineering so I think M3 might be more useful :/
Original post by Tarquin Digby
M3.

Hahah point taken. I might just start both then if M3 is too hard I will just do D1
Original post by aasvogel
I can never find anyone from here on this!

This year we're doing M2 and S2 in class and I'm doing D1 (pretty handy) myself. Next year is then FP1-3. :smile:

Oooh all the pure's in the one year that will be harder, dont you think? More work :/
Original post by Cluck

Haha none of the teacher in my school can even do FP4 :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending