The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jadoreétudier
Course: Maths with Physics (or maybe Maths)
College: St John's (or Trinity or Queens', or others)
GCSEs: 8 1's in standard grades
A Level Subjects: advanced higher maths, applied maths: mechanics, physics, french
Anything else relevant: I'm going to be applying while at uni studying maths and physics

You do know Cambridge won't usually accept applications from students already studying a similar degree?
Original post by Colmans
You do know Cambridge won't usually accept applications from students already studying a similar degree?

No, I didn't know that. I thought they'd maybe prefer it to taking a gap year. I'm so confused as to what's the best option for me. If I do start a maths and physics degree, I'll be doing half maths and half physics. I don't know. I guess I should email and ask?

Edit: I found this which says what you said.
http://www.study.cam.ac.uk/undergraduate/apply/otherroutes.html#other
:frown:
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by paradoxicalme
We will get through this! :tongue: I really want to go out with my friends on Saturday so that I can get a chance to go out before all this starts...but both my parents are working :mad: so they can't give me a lift.

Good luck for your application and theory! I know the feeling with reading...currently fighting my way through Mrs Dalloway :tongue: I want to finish it by 9am tomorrow so I can bitch about Virginia Woolf in English class. GODSAKE WOMAN WHY WOULD YOU USE FIFTEEN SEMICOLONS IN ONE SENTENCE

You're a med person, right? :smile:

Yeah I am. :s-smilie: And yes we will!! It's only for a few months anyway. Ah the use of the semicolon extended sentences indefinitely... After everything I've seen and heard I am immensely glad I didn't take English. I like history so much more.
Original post by buttered_peanut
Ahh! I'm the same. Mocks are in 3 weeks, my EMPAs are a lot sooner than I realised, need to keep up my Flute and try and get Grade 5 theory into my head, tutor 2 kids in maths and plod on with my Gold DofE! And subscribe to and read Student BMJ (was told by my Biology teacher that although its aimed at Med Students its good for A-Level too) and find some Medically volunteering. Whilst wanting to go to 2 concerts and watch seasons 2 & 3 of Game of Thrones and read the books before it starts again. Goodbye life.

Good luck to everyone with their mocks anyway, I know I'm going to need it :wink:.

Yes another med person who feels my pain! And ikr?? I really wanted to find see the Arctic monkeys and I have 3 seasons of Breaking Bad! :hmpf:... My life
:smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1184
Original post by clever1diot
Yeah I am. :s-smilie: And yes we will!! It's only for a few months anyway. Ah the use of the semicolon extended sentences indefinitely... After everything I've seen and heard I am immensely glad I didn't take English. I like history so much more.

Yes another med person who feels my pain! And ikr?? I really wanted to find see the Arctic monkeys and I have 3 seasons of Breaking Bad! :hmpf:... My life

On an unrelated note I'm going to see the Arctic Monkeys in May :P I can't remember if you were one of the people on this thread from Ireland, cos they've announced a show in Dublin :smile: sometimes you gotta forget the work for a bit, especially for a band like them :wink:
Original post by KT_T
On an unrelated note I'm going to see the Arctic Monkeys in May :P I can't remember if you were one of the people on this thread from Ireland, cos they've announced a show in Dublin :smile: sometimes you gotta forget the work for a bit, especially for a band like them :wink:

Oh man I'm jealous. Aha no I'm not, I live in London, but I had my eye on this gig with them and Tame Impala! I know what you mean, but right now the procrastination is actually horrendous. :frown:
Original post by KT_T

The 2 I would love to see though would be the Foo Fighters and RHCP! :awesome:
Reply 1187
The 2 I would love to see though would be the Foo Fighters and RHCP! :awesome:

Ah I desperately wanted to go because of Miles Kane, I love the last shadow puppets stuff :P and yes!! They would be amazing :biggrin: foo fighters have got a new album coming soon so they'll probably do a tour :biggrin: and I love rhcp, I need to get more of their music!
Original post by KT_T
Ah I desperately wanted to go because of Miles Kane, I love the last shadow puppets stuff :P and yes!! They would be amazing :biggrin: foo fighters have got a new album coming soon so they'll probably do a tour :biggrin: and I love rhcp, I need to get more of their music!

It's like "nothing they've done before" according to great Lord Grohl... So I really can't wait!!
Reply 1189
It's like "nothing they've done before" according to great Lord Grohl... So I really can't wait!!

Lord Grohl omfg they should give him a knighthood :') for services to rock :P me neither eek!
At GCSE I got 4A*, 3A, 3B and a C, would that be considered bad? Most people on here are all A/A*, although I'm predicted all A/A* at AS
Original post by Nickbonista
At GCSE I got 4A*, 3A, 3B and a C, would that be considered bad? Most people on here are all A/A*, although I'm predicted all A/A* at AS

I'm not sure it matters too much (excepting Medicine, probably).
Original post by Nickbonista

No, not at all. There are plenty who apply with similar grads. This site has less than 1% of applicants and the average grades are very distorted so don't get put off by them. I know when i was applying this year I was worried that my AS results/UMS were far too low compared to everyone else on here but I was fine!!

The only time it would be important to have lots of A*/A grades at GCSE is for medicine. Other subjects, it generally has little weighting, especially if you have top AS results.

Also, you can only get up to an A at AS, A* is A2 only.
Course:Anglo-Saxon, Norse and Celtic
College: undecided
GCSEs: 4A*,3A, 4B
A Level Subjects: Doing the IB with English Lit, French and German at Higher level
Do you have to get 93% in all of your AS levels or just the top 3 to be autopooled?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Haha quite keen aren't we :smile:

Course: Biological Natural Sciences

College: Christ's? I don't really mind though!
GCSEs: 4 A*S (sciences and maths, 4 As incl. FSMQ and 4 Bs. Wish I tried harder tbh.
A Level Subjects: Maths, Physics, Chemistry, Biology, EPQ.
Anything else relevant: Rowing which feels like doing 2 extra subjects.
Reply 1196
Original post by HugeBicepLAD
Do you have to get 93% in all of your AS levels or just the top 3 to be autopooled?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Top 3 for Arts, most relevant 3 for Sciences. Maths + FM counts as one.
Reply 1197
Original post by cerlohee
Haha quite keen aren't we :smile:

Course: Biological Natural Sciences

College: Christ's? I don't really mind though!
GCSEs: 4 A*S (sciences and maths, 4 As incl. FSMQ and 4 Bs. Wish I tried harder tbh.
A Level Subjects: Maths, Physics, Chemistry, Biology, EPQ.
Anything else relevant: Rowing which feels like doing 2 extra subjects.

Your GCSEs are fine for Cambridge. I got an offer for NatSci with 5 A*s, 2As and a B.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Top 3
Original post by alow
Top 3 for Arts, most relevant 3 for Sciences. Maths + FM counts as one.

Posted from TSR Mobile

As alow said, though I believe maths and medicine don't have auto-pooling.

Latest

Trending

Trending