The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

OU: Natural Sciences - Chemistry pathway

Is/has anybody studied the Natural Sciences Chemistry pathway via OU? I am just enrolled onto this course, starting at level 2 thanks to credit transfer.

Firstly, a bit of background info. I'm 26 years old. Studied biomedical science for 2 years at uni but dropped out. Since then I have worked as a lab assistant at a small manufacturing firm. Whilst I enjoy my job, my salary is nowhere near where I would like it to be and there really isn't much chance of career progression, so I decided to look into going back into study. However, I cannot afford to leave my job and go to a brick uni for 3 years, so am going through the OU route.

Upon graduation I am interested in pursuing a career in chemistry or chemical engineering, much preferably the latter. My main concern is that a chemistry degree with barely any lab study time wouldn't really be of much value to someone looking to employ a chemist. Anyone had any experience that suggests otherwise?

Secondly, if all goes to plan and I do complete this degree, I would happily to leave my job to study a one year chemical engineering 'conversion' course (Leeds University currently offer one, but I have no idea if they still will by the time I come round to applying!) I'm just massively worried that I would stand no chance of getting on such a course with almost no experience of university level practical chemistry/chemical engineering.

So, does anybody here have any positive stories from having studied Nat Sci Chemistry pathway via the OU? Or is there anybody else here currently studying this course?

Either way, I'm determined to get this done and have set myself a very strict deadline. I would like to graduate from OU in summer 2016, convert to chemical engineering and be ready to apply for 'proper' jobs by my 30th birthday in 2017!
Original post by tiny tiger
Is/has anybody studied the Natural Sciences Chemistry pathway via OU? I am just enrolled onto this course, starting at level 2 thanks to credit transfer.

Firstly, a bit of background info. I'm 26 years old. Studied biomedical science for 2 years at uni but dropped out. Since then I have worked as a lab assistant at a small manufacturing firm. Whilst I enjoy my job, my salary is nowhere near where I would like it to be and there really isn't much chance of career progression, so I decided to look into going back into study. However, I cannot afford to leave my job and go to a brick uni for 3 years, so am going through the OU route.

Upon graduation I am interested in pursuing a career in chemistry or chemical engineering, much preferably the latter. My main concern is that a chemistry degree with barely any lab study time wouldn't really be of much value to someone looking to employ a chemist. Anyone had any experience that suggests otherwise?

Secondly, if all goes to plan and I do complete this degree, I would happily to leave my job to study a one year chemical engineering 'conversion' course (Leeds University currently offer one, but I have no idea if they still will by the time I come round to applying!) I'm just massively worried that I would stand no chance of getting on such a course with almost no experience of university level practical chemistry/chemical engineering.

So, does anybody here have any positive stories from having studied Nat Sci Chemistry pathway via the OU? Or is there anybody else here currently studying this course?

Either way, I'm determined to get this done and have set myself a very strict deadline. I would like to graduate from OU in summer 2016, convert to chemical engineering and be ready to apply for 'proper' jobs by my 30th birthday in 2017!

Hi,

I'm coming towards the end of the OU Natural Sciences degree, with a biology focus. I can't give you an 'expert' answer, but I suspect that your lab experience will put you in a good position after your degree - I know it isn't associated with your degree but it will show that you're familiar with working in a lab and that you can perform 'hands on' tasks.

Why don't you email Leeds, tell them what you're doing, and ask if - theoretically - they'd be likely to accept an application from you once you've got your degree? If they say no, perhaps you could look round for a different lab job which would be more relevant to your degree.

Good luck! I'm sure that if you really want to do this then you'll find a way to make it happen.
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Reply 2
Original post by tiny tiger

I'm coming to end of chemistry pathway (with some biology) PGCE institutes do not like the fact that I have zero or very minimal lab experience... I have had to enroll on a very expensive lab work experience week intensive course

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest