The Student Room Group

Math AA HL for Biochemistry / Natural Sciences in Oxbridge?

Hi everyone! I will be studying the IB curriculum starting next academic year. My current chosen SL and HL combinations are as follows:
HL: English B, Math AA, Bio, Chem
SL: Chinese A Lang & Lit, Geog
I intend to study Biochemistry at Oxford or (Bio) Natural Sciences at Cambridge (if I have the necessary grades haha). I heard that Math AA HL is an extremely stressful and academically challenging subject, so I'm thinking of dropping Math AA to SL to reduce my burden. However, I remain hesitant in doing so as I've heard that both degrees require mathematical rigour. I'm not a math whizz but my math grades are decent up to now. Should I drop Math AA to SL or remain it for HL?
hi! is there a reason for why you're doing 4 HLs? i understand why you're taking maths, bio & chem at HL, but why english B? the other 3 subjects are already challenging (but necessary for your degree), so i think english B will only increase the burden on you.

now, for HL maths AA, i don't think it is as horrible as people make it out to be. it is hard, but as long as you put in the required work continuously, im sure you'll do fine. even if you find it impossible to combine with your other HLs (which is understandable), you could always switch to SL in the first semester of your first year.

also, have you considered other courses at oxbridge? you say you're not a math wizz, so would it not be a better idea to choose a degree that does not require HL maths?

lmk if you have any questions!
Original post by thesupremecarbon
Hi everyone! I will be studying the IB curriculum starting next academic year. My current chosen SL and HL combinations are as follows:
I intend to study Biochemistry at Oxford or (Bio) Natural Sciences at Cambridge (if I have the necessary grades haha). I heard that Math AA HL is an extremely stressful and academically challenging subject, so I'm thinking of dropping Math AA to SL to reduce my burden. However, I remain hesitant in doing so as I've heard that both degrees require mathematical rigour. I'm not a math whizz but my math grades are decent up to now. Should I drop Math AA to SL or remain it for HL?

Hey!
I’m Oliver and am currently a third year in natural sciences at Lancaster University studying synthetic chemistry and biochemistry pathways.
I did not take the IB curriculum but can give a bit of insight into natural sciences.

Natural sciences is definitely one of the most flexible degrees out there allowing you to study across two or three different departments. At Lancaster there are so many different pathways to choose from across all branches of chemistry, physics, maths, biology, geography and psychology, just to name a few. Each university will do pathways slightly differently and a have a varied range of possible combinations so definitely check that out on the relevant websites. The full list of pathways and entry requirements for Lancaster can be found here: https://www.lancaster.ac.uk/natural-sciences/
I know at Lancaster only the maths, physics and engineering pathways require A-level maths and from experience I have found that any maths skills required be the chemistry of biochemistry pathways has been provided by the departments themselves. For example, in first year chemistry we had a whole module dedicated to learning chemistry specific maths. Again I'm not sure how this translates to the IB but hopefully it gives a rough useful guide.

Hope that is helpful and best of luck with your decision 😊Feel free to ask me any other questions if you have any

Oliver (Student Ambassador)
Original post by fuzzyturtle
hi! is there a reason for why you're doing 4 HLs? i understand why you're taking maths, bio & chem at HL, but why english B? the other 3 subjects are already challenging (but necessary for your degree), so i think english B will only increase the burden on you.

now, for HL maths AA, i don't think it is as horrible as people make it out to be. it is hard, but as long as you put in the required work continuously, im sure you'll do fine. even if you find it impossible to combine with your other HLs (which is understandable), you could always switch to SL in the first semester of your first year.

also, have you considered other courses at oxbridge? you say you're not a math wizz, so would it not be a better idea to choose a degree that does not require HL maths?

lmk if you have any questions!

sorry for the late reply!
Firstly, it seems that you don't really know about IB, but thanks anyway for your feedback! English B HL in IB is easier than any English A Lang & Lit / Lit courses (even at SL!). I chose English B rather than English A to minimize my workload and academic burden - English B is a pure language course emphasising the understanding and application of the language rather than being analytical, hence being much much easier!
Secondly, yes, I'm not a math whizz or very interested in math as mentioned, but I have received decent grades in math since I was young. I think I am capable of finishing the hard MAA HL course and achieving optimal grades. Nevertheless, I think only Natural Sciences / Medicine suits me among other courses offered by Cambridge (won't really consider Med as it's extremely costly for international students like me!). Anyways, thanks for your genuine opinion on my decision!
sorry for the late reply!
Firstly, it seems that you don't really know about IB, but thanks anyway for your feedback! English B HL in IB is easier than any English A Lang & Lit / Lit courses (even at SL!). I chose English B rather than English A to minimize my workload and academic burden - English B is a pure language course emphasising the understanding and application of the language rather than being analytical, hence being much much easier!
Secondly, yes, I'm not a math whizz or very interested in math as mentioned, but I have received decent grades in math since I was young. I think I am capable of finishing the hard MAA HL course and achieving optimal grades. Nevertheless, I think only Natural Sciences / Medicine suits me among other courses offered by Cambridge (won't really consider Med as it's extremely costly for international students like me!). Anyways, thanks for your genuine opinion on my decision!

hello, im an international student currently in my last semester of the IB (may 2023) and take german B at HL (predicted a 7), so i am aware of the fact that taking a language B at HL is a lot more simple than for example taking a language A at SL. i myself chose to take HL german B for exactly this reason; i knew it would be easy for me to receive the highest possible grade. i was just commenting on the fact that taking 4 HLs is quite a challenge, even if one of the 4 is easy. it seemed to me that HL english B was quite unnecessary in comparison to your other chosen HLs, especially when you yourself said that you were worried about the potential burden HL maths AA would put on you. thus, if it ever came to it, you could always drop english B, since it does not really make your application more competitive due to the simplicity of the subject / the unrelated aspect to your degree. feel free to ignore my advice, however :smile:

funnily enough, all people i know who have received offers from oxbridge (for very competitive courses) take 3 HLs, while the people who have been rejected took 4. either way, i applaud you on your willingness to take on a challenge, and i hope all goes well for you! good luck
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by fuzzyturtle
hello, im an international student currently in my last semester of the IB (may 2023) and take german B at HL (predicted a 7), so i am aware of the fact that taking a language B at HL is a lot more simple than for example taking a language A at SL. i myself chose to take HL german B for exactly this reason; i knew it would be easy for me to receive the highest possible grade. i was just commenting on the fact that taking 4 HLs is quite a challenge, even if one of the 4 is easy. it seemed to me that HL english B was quite unnecessary in comparison to your other chosen HLs, especially when you yourself said that you were worried about the potential burden HL maths AA would put on you. thus, if it ever came to it, you could always drop english B, since it does not really make your application more competitive due to the simplicity of the subject / the unrelated aspect to your degree. feel free to ignore my advice, however :smile:

funnily enough, all people i know who have received offers from oxbridge (for very competitive courses) take 3 HLs, while the people who have been rejected took 4. either way, i applaud you on your willingness to take on a challenge, and i hope all goes well for you! good luck

thank you for your advice! unfortunately, my school does not offer english B SL (i.e. HL only). nevertheless, I have to choose between english B HL, english A lang & lit SL and english A lit SL. as I'm not too fond of literary analysis, I decide to read english B and take 4 HLs instead. regarding the other HL subjects, to me they are all important to build a foundation for natural sciences, thus I wouldn't want to drop them. anyhow thanks for your opinion and I greatly appreciate it!

Hi! I’m currently a first-year Law student at the University of Cambridge. However, a lot of my closest friends are currently doing the natural sciences tripos. Unfortunately, everyone of the did either maths & further maths A-level or Maths AA HL. Therefore, if you really want to have a good chance of getting into Cambridge or oxf*rd you’re going to need to keep maths AA at HL.

I hope this helps, but feel free to pm me with any other questions :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by Bobby578293
Hi! I’m currently a first-year Law student at the University of Cambridge. However, a lot of my closest friends are currently doing the natural sciences tripos. Unfortunately, everyone of the did either maths & further maths A-level or Maths AA HL. Therefore, if you really want to have a good chance of getting into Cambridge or oxf*rd you’re going to need to keep maths AA at HL.

I hope this helps, but feel free to pm me with any other questions :smile:

Hello, sorry this is really late but what about AI HL? x
Reply 8
Original post by jasgraew
Hello, sorry this is really late but what about AI HL? x

Check the entry requirements page.

For Natural Sciences (Physical), if taking Higher Level Mathematics, applicants are expected to take Analysis and Approaches.

For Natural Sciences (Biological), if taking Higher Level Mathematics, we recommend Analysis and Approaches for the most competitive application, however Applications and Interpretations will also be considered.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending